Advanced HeroQuest: Prince of Persia

Fimm McCool

Re: Advanced Hero Quest: Prince of Persia

Stormbringer":3mvvteii said:
Quite cool, but they turned out much darker than expected, and a little "streaky" in places. I don't know why that is.

These are only the ROOM tiles. The corridor tiles will be coming later...

The streakiness is because of the Easter engraving process used. It's like a laserjet printer, lines engraved across the surface with the 'print' head moving up the sheet a fraction at a time. The slower the upward move the tighter the lines but the longer it will take to engrave. The darkness is because it's not actually colouring the acrylic, just melting the shine off. You can get quite a good effect painting over the sheet and gently wiping it with a damp paper towel, leaving the colour I'm the recesses.

Zhu Bajie

Oooh, Laser-cut Planström looks awesome.
Are you planning an 8-bit paint scheme?

Fimm McCool":k7umamkv said:
You can get quite a good effect painting over the sheet and gently wiping it with a damp paper towel, leaving the colour I'm the recesses.

So if I painted over the tile, then wiped over with a paper towel, the paint would stick to the "melted off" parts, but wipe clean off the shiny parts?

Fimm McCool

Yes, to a degree. It won't bond any differently to the engraved part but if you wipe flat along the surface then the paint in the indentations will be missed. It works really well on narrow engravings.

Thanks for the tip! I might give it a go, but to be honest I'm actually quite happy (now) with how the tiles are looking. I was expecting them to come out almost white, close to Zhu's original artwork, rather than grey, but they do actually look more "dungeoney" in that colour!

Right, I realise it's been almost a year since the last update, and that's because I somehow became distracted half way through last year by various factors and never got around to buying some paint!

I have now amended this, and the project has resumed at full speed!

Last night I began painting the miniatures. First up is the "Prince" himself, who received a white undercoat:

nVJSEpb.png

It's a fairly basic start, but it's better than nothing! More updates (with more layers of paint) will follow in the coming days.

Of course, when the game begins, he is not actually the Prince of Persia. It's often forgotten that he starts off as an unknown wanderer, called in various places "a brave youth", "the kid", "a stranger" and "an adventurer from a foreign land". Only at the end of the game, after defeating the Grand Vizier, does he marry the Princess of Persia and thus inherit the title "Prince of Persia".

In the 1990 MS-DOS version of the video game, the kid looks like this:

nOZHKQl.png

Some later cover art (used for the Sega Master System, Megadrive and Genesis ports of the game), was clearly derived from the graphics of the DOS version of the game, and displays him like this:

20111114-190024.jpg

There's an obvious link, in my mind, between the above image and Luke Skywalker from the 1977 Brothers Hildebrandt poster for Star Wars: Episode IV, a new hope.

3nKqnGK.jpg

His costume is almost identical -- even the flow of his hair is almost an exact copy.

Anyway, this is the look I will be going for with this miniature.

lgmdaniel":1bme2era said:
Why is he white?

Unless you meant why is the miniature literally white?

Because it's only been undercoated so far. I haven't had a chance to apply more layers yet...

lgmdaniel

Stormbringer":av8sgyk7 said:
lgmdaniel":av8sgyk7 said:
Why is he white?

Unless you meant why is the miniature literally white?

Because it's only been undercoated so far. I haven't had a chance to apply more layers yet...

I meant in the art... surely he's Persian.

Right, here is the "Prince" so far:

GVmpnmb.jpg

Basecoated and drybrushed. The next step is dipping in Quickshade, which I'm always nervous about because of the smell and the mess.

I might have to pick up a pack of cheap, throw-away brushes to assist with that task, in which case I might leave it till next month, and concentrate on painting the other miniatures first.

My wife and children have very kindly made space for me in the house to have my own dedicated "game room" -- so I've spent the last few days moving everything into it. I've also managed to get a bit more painting done.

I've also found a better spot, with more light, to take photographs of my work so far.

Here's a couple more pictures of the "kid" (who will later become Prince if he wins the game):

VZcW2rG.png

IluGzfe.png

Ideally, I'd paint his eyes, but I just cannot work at that level of detail - my hands are too clumsy.

And this is the latest miniature, an animated skeleton warrior, who the kid has to fight in the third level of the video game:

z7uWh7t.png

dV5MNIp.png

While I was painting his base, some of the gravel came loose, leaving a hole. I found a Games Workshop skull lying about, so I added that into the hole...

URQl95y.png

This skeleton is the only miniature in the set I bought not sculpted by Dennis Mize in 1990. I think it's a much more recent sculpt by the owner of Reaper Miniatures. However, it's also the only skeleton with a scimitar I could find, and to be honest it fits quite well with the others I chose for this project.

Here is a picture of the kid fighting the skeleton in the game:

zjrK9oq.png

These miniatures are currently in a "pre-Quickshade" state -- next month, once all the others are painted, I will do a mass dipping session and post up final pictures when they're ready.

symphonicpoet

This is a great project and you're getting good results. Keep having fun and don't fret over the other stuff. I look forward to seeing what you do for game scenery. :)

The next miniature to be painted is one of Jaffar's palace guards.

These guys patrol the dungeon of the Sultan's palace, swords at the ready, waiting to cut down any intruders. All of them have different coloured clothing.

Here is the one I call the "orange guard":

GWUtZPH.png

Now, I have four different "guard" miniatures, all of which are 1990 Ral Partha sculpts by Dennis Mize (same as my "Prince" figure).

Here is the first -- he is officially called a "Corsair of the Eastern Sea", but I thought he'd do nicely as the "orange guard":

RdIIUxp.png

EvUrh6r.png

As you can see, he's ditched his white hat and yellow tabard, but kept the orange pantaloons and purple sash.

Once again, this is a pre-Quickshade paint job.

symphonicpoet

Neat looking miniature. I love the mustache. Looking forward to what he looks like after your quickshading. Looks pretty solid already.

Back