Advanced HeroQuest: Prince of Persia

Here is my interpretation of the chap I call "the red guard":

IrHBejR.jpg

sGcATdZ.jpg

Video game equivalent:

9f5d9AZ.png

I wasn't quite happy with the colour of this guard's boots, nor the drybrushing on his pantaloons, so I re-worked them a bit:

xF97hLV.jpg

Now he's ready for Quickshading, I think, though I'm beginning to wonder if I drybrushed his jacket too lightly. I might darken it a bit.

They look great so far. And yes, the boots look better in brown.

Also, don't worry too much about not being able to paint the eyes - I'm sure the quickshade will help accentuate the eyes.

Here is the next guard, which I call "the yellow guard":

SmYtnkE.png

And my interpretation:

zO3IfXn.png

iqR63Fv.png

This is my favourite one so far, I must say.

symphonicpoet

It will be interesting to see how they all look when you hit them with the quickshade. A lot of neat miniatures and I'm looking forward to the final result.

I'm really loving this post. Brings back a bit of nostalgia and the adaptation with those minis is simply stunning! Keep up the good work!

Thanks, guys.

Well, I tried applying Quickshade Dip last night. It looked absolutely terrible and completely ruined the models. I thought I would have to give up the project entirely.

But then I dropped the miniatures into a jar of white spirit and the QS dissolved away in minutes, whereas the paint beneath seemed unscathed. I plan to fish them out of the jar tonight. Hopefully all the QS will be gone, and I can start again with a different plan.

I'm going to try washing instead!

GREAT NEWS!

Leaving the models sitting in a jar of white spirit did completely remove all trace of the Quickshade dip, yet left the paint completely unharmed, so now the models have been restored to their former glory!

9PHqJqx.jpg

I am very happy indeed.

Bolg

I'm going to love seeing this thread grow...

and Now I want that miniature too and paint it flat white like the game just to copy your idea (as I to love the classic arcade ans still brag about the fact that I finished it, no cheats in 99 on my dads PC)

Only three more human models to paint, then I have the doors to do.

Tonight I started experimenting with washes instead of Quickshade.

symphonicpoet

Washing and selective blacklining should do you better anyway. Honestly. And you can even highlight a touch after the washes if you wish. It might be more work, but you'll have much more control, which can be really rewarding. Very glad the save worked. Had a moment like that when I fogged a batch of models with varnish in non-optimal conditions. Had similar recovery luck with a quick dip, careful rinse, and re-varnish.

symphonicpoet":jo3scb4u said:
Had similar recovery luck with a quick dip, careful rinse, and re-varnish.

What did you use for the "quick dip" and "careful rinse"?

Incidentally, my miniatures now STINK of white spirit. Do you think varnishing them will help cover this up?

For the record, here is a picture of the Prince miniature after Quickshading!

jFpeh3n.png

:o

(I had to hold it really close to a light to even have the slightest suggestion that he was originally wearing white, as opposed to a yucky brown colour)

And here is a picture of the Prince as he is now, after a few experiments with washing -- you'll see his garments are now more "off white" in the recesses, rather than pure white as they were before:

4xltsIV.png

I might still use one of the Army Painter's inks to do his face, to offer more contrast, as right now it's still not quite right.

symphonicpoet

I used the US product Pine-Sol, which I think is pretty comparable to the green liquid some UK sorts use for paints stripping. After they fogged up I cried and resolved to repaint them and put them in the usual green bath. But after sitting overnight the fog cleared off, so I rinsed them very carefully, let them dry off for a few days, and then sprayed them again with a matte varnish (Testor's "dullcoat lacquer") in more optimal conditions. For the rinse I just used ordinary tapwater.

Just a quick update to say this project is still happening. I took a couple of months off to pursue other projects, which I then regretted and realised were not the direction I wanted to go.

Now I'm back on track.

This October is the 30th Anniversary of the launch of the original version of Prince of Persia (as well as Advanced Hero Quest), so I want to make sure it is ready in time for the celebrations!

Here is one of the "boss" characters, often known as the "fat guard" for obvious reasons.

jDrl8T7.jpg

He's the second best fighter in the game, after Jafar. I like to think of him as some sort of Captain of the Guard figure, rather than just a regular guard who ate too much Turkish Delight.

I did not have a literally fat guard miniature, but I did find this guy, who I think would make a good captain -- he is standing in a more "heroic" pose, and his lack of shield makes him look more courageous:

4KkWcl0.jpg

That leaves just two more miniatures to paint -- Jafar, the final boss, and the Princess who the young lad needs to rescue and marry in order to claim the title "Prince of Persia".

However, I also need to paint the doors for the dungeon, so I've started that and will work on those in the coming days...

Back