Advanced HeroQuest: Prince of Persia

I'm working on a new project, to combine two of my favourite things from October 1989....

ADVANCED HERO QUEST by Games Workshop...

ahq.jpg

...and PRINCE OF PERSIA by Jordan Mechner / Brøderbund Software, Inc.

17062.jpg

I call it...

ADVANCED HERO QUEST: PRINCE OF PERSIA
(incredibly original title, I know)

The idea is to create a homebrew version of AHQ entirely themed on the MS-DOS version of POP. The GM will take the role of Jaffar, the evil vizier, while the player(s) will take on the role of the Prince(s) [I may include additional princes for more than one player].

Enemies, true to the original game, will be palace guards and the final boss himself will be the sorcerer Jaffar.

Miniatures will be:

The Prince

prince_rp.jpg

(Young Thief from Ral Partha)

Palace Guard + The Princess

guard_princess.jpg

(Slaver and Princess from Ral Partha)

Jaffar

jaffar.jpg

(Eastern Wizard from Ral Partha)

For dungeon tiles I will be using Zhu Industries' Planström sets:

planstrom.jpg

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/185 ... stem-Set-1
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/215 ... stem-Set-2

These will be printed on card and mounted on 3mm acrylic sheets from Warbases

So far all I have done is purchase Zhu's dungeon tiles from DriveThru RPG. The next few steps will be printing them out, purchasing the acrylic sheets from Warbases, and purchasing the miniatures.

Updates will be forthcoming (though not frequent, due to budgetary limitations).

JonAtron

Re: Advanced Hero Quest: Prince of Persia

* Rubs hands together * Another good project to watch and enjoy! I hope your in the UK so some of us can come and play test it when your done!

Stormbringer":2c60ebhs said:

Ah man... I played this game quite a lot back in the day... funny, today my smartphone has way better graphics... things you notice from that you are getting old...

Suber

The idea is pure genius! Really looking forward to more :grin:

I'm currently working on a secret plan to do something particularly awesome with the Planström dungeon tiles. I'm waiting to find out how much that costs before making the decision to either go ahead with it, or buy the miniatures instead.

I have bought my first miniature for the project!

01-190.jpg

Sinbad On His Flying Carpet [01-190] by Ral Partha. I believe it is from 1994.

This model comes in three pieces (the man, the carpet and the stand). Although I could have this guy fly through the dungeons on his carpet (I would just give him the FLYING rule), I think I'll keep him on foot and use him as the "Player 2" model.

My two sons will be my test-players and no doubt they'll both want to play as the "Prince", even though there's only one of him in the original game. I think we'll change the story so that the "Prince" has an older brother who has come along to help him out...

Something new to show you.

I took [ZHU] Industries' Planström design and handed it over to the sorcerer-scientists at http://www.warbases.co.uk.

They gave me these:

laser_tiles.jpg

Black acrylic tiles (3mm thickness) with the Planström design etched on... WITH LASERS!

Quite cool, but they turned out much darker than expected, and a little "streaky" in places. I don't know why that is.

These are only the ROOM tiles. The corridor tiles will be coming later...

The rest of the miniatures have finally arrived!

20180412_205119.jpg

I got these from Iron Wind Metals in the USA.

The Prince is in the foreground, and behind him are the Princess, Jaffar and four palace guards.

What I like about these is that as well as fitting well with the project, they are all by the same sculptor (including the other Prince model from the post before last) -- the late Dennis Mize -- and they are also all from 1990, the same year the DOS version of Prince of Persia (on which this project is based) was published!

Later this week the rest of the dungeon tiles should be arriving from Warbases, then next month I shall be purchasing a bit of dungeon furniture, such as doors, treasure chests etc. from Midlam Miniatures.

The corridor tiles have arrived!

20180414_105418.jpg

If I was smarter I would have asked Warbases to etch the pattern onto the jig-saw parts as well, but you live and learn!

It is starting to come together...

20180504_215705.jpg

I have doorways (open and closed), stairs, corridors, rooms, a trapdoor, a treasure chest, Fireball and Magic tokens. Even bases for the miniatures. The only thing I am missing now are the GM tokens and some paint!

That is for next time.

Back