Updating Thrugg Bullneck and his boyz

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:19 am

Re: Updating Thrugg Bullneck and his boyz

Huge applause, I love the path you are taking with these, bravo!

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 am

Cheers Suber :)

Painting continues on da boyz. I've used a lot of browns and greys, and they're looking a bit Blood Axe-y at the moment. To get back to the RT feel, I'll be adding in some biker-style markings and warpaint.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Squad 1 nears completion. Detailing and basing remaining:

...and the squad alongside a pre-greenstuff ork and some runts:

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 am

Hruk! Actually Hruk this time. The Kev Adams' original is here:

...and here's the WIP homage, based on Brian Nelson's newer design:

I'll be kitting him out with his shootas soon. Being a personality, he warrants something a bit special, so I've got vague plans for giving him a space marine boltgun. This fits with the scenario – the invasion of the Crimson Fists' home planet, Rynn's World – and also ties into the original Rogue Trader armament. +

Of course, just sticking a plastic boltgun on is going to be a bit unimaginative, so I thought I'd run with a bit of era-appropriate Judge Dredd-style sci-fi. Like Dredd's lawgiver, space marine boltguns are sometimes noted to be keyed to the owner's genetic coding or armour, so that they can only be fired by the owner. Hruk will this have to apply some orky-know-wotz and get round this – so I'll have the unfortunate Crimson Fists' gauntlet nailed on and wired in to provide the correct protocols to get it to fire. Whether the hand remains inside will likely remain up to your imagination!

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:26 pm

These all look fantastic. A really neat alternative take on the crew, got a lot of the dark sci-fi, horror vibe that come through the Ian Miller drawings in Rogue Trader, but this:
apologist wrote:Like Dredd's lawgiver, space marine boltguns are sometimes noted to be keyed to the owner's genetic coding or armour, so that they can only be fired by the owner. Hruk will this have to apply some orky-know-wotz and get round this – so I'll have the unfortunate Crimson Fists' gauntlet nailed on and wired in to provide the correct protocols to get it to fire.

Is a genius level Rogue Trader conversion concept. Can't wait to see the finished thing.

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks, Zhu Bajie. Here is the finished chap, trophy weapon and all (plus two boyz):

The AK-47 lookalike in the centre is from Gorkamorka. It's nice to have touches from each period in ork history, I think; and these grot weapons are better sized for my purposes than the exaggerated plastics.

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Next ork on the block. Can you identify the original?

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:06 pm

The marine hand on the gun is a brilliant idea and perfectly executed -- well done!

Post Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Ta :)

Building is now complete for the remaining boyz, and painting has begun:

The farm buildings are coming along too:

I used Warlord Games' Ruined Farmhouse kit, which seems ideal for the Battle for the Farm scenario, giving you ruins for both the main building and an outbuilding at about the right size.

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:24 pm

... and we're done (for now):

Here's the inspiration for the warpaint, tattoos and logos:

I've got a few more ork part-built, so I might expand this a bit, and dive back into remakes of specific models. First though, the Battle for the Farm...
PreviousNext

Return to WIP