Updating Thrugg Bullneck and his boyz

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Updating Thrugg Bullneck and his boyz

A mate of mine and I are working on forces for the Rogue Trader Battle for the Farm and Battle for Jadeberry Hill scenarios. I'm taking Bullneck's orks. The idea for this project is to update the new models with more of a Rogue Trader aesthetic. As a result, the miniatures won't be vintage lead (well, a few are), but are fondly Oldhammer in inclination, as you'll see from Thrugg Bullneck and a bunch of 'orrid grots here:

I'd love to hear what you think, and if you have any thoughts or advice on the modelling and painting of the boyz themselves. For example, I've tried to match my Thrugg conversion to the appropriate original model, and will be doing the same for Hruk – but as for Ulruk of Mergabenurga, shall I use the third personality figure from the Ork Raiders box as inspiration, or go off-piste and try and get some more Elric influence in?

SImilarly, what are the things that strike you as most characteristic of the RT-era ork models? There's the general 'WWII bad guy vibe', but the quilted jackets and goggles are the sort of thing I'm thinking of specifically, as those are the things I can add with a bit of conversion and sculpting.

Finally, are there any particular sculpts that you'd like to see re-imagined for this project?

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Re: Updating Thrugg Bullneck and his boyz

Well, first one off the blocks. An affectionate update of Kev Adams' Bolta 25:

Here's the new version next to the original:

The key things I've tried to get across are:
[*] Including the quilted armour
[*] Retaining the revolver-style weapon
[*] Making the fatigues baggier where they meet the boots and raggier at the knee
[*] Removing the plastic model's spikes and jewellery for a slightly more military feel
[*] Adding a lower lip and tweaking the face

Successful update?

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Very much so, you've got the spirit of the original. Looking forward to seeing it painted, that's when all your work really shines and takes on character! ( Or is undone by painting mishaps :/ )

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:43 pm

A fun alternate vision of what a modern ork model might look like had the company adhered closer to the RT artistic vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Cheers chaps. Hruk is next up on the blocks:

The original:

The homage:

...and an all-round:
Image Image Image Image

Post Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:46 pm

All finished:

The freehand's a combo of the Luggub's Drop Legion symbol and the stylised skull from the opener of The Battle for the Farm scenario.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Awesome, really, really good! I'd love to kill these on the tabletop with my Crimson Fists! :D

How did you get the wood effect on the stock? Simply brush stroke down a darker brown? Looks good for its simplicity.

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:26 pm

This is an interesting project, and superbly executed.
My Oldhammer blog: The Lost and the Damned

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Terrific and inspiring work. I'm not fond of the looking of modern Orks, but you have blended the minis to the point where they make sense with the original designs, and they look amazing!

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Coo, thanks all. Jonatron, the wood effect is just as you say; increasingly fine and dark wibbly lines. I'd very much like to see your awesome Crimson FIsts in person – you heading to BoyL at some future point?

Another four boyz get their greenstuff (and a grin) on:

More work to do on them yet, but I'm pleased with the slightly more upright pose I've got on them. I think it makes them look a little more like the rangy classic orks. The pre-greenstuff image shows it nicely. The part-painted lad is unconverted, the remaining three had their legs trimmed off the groin, then rotated (ouch :shock:)

...Oh, and while I'm posting, some proper Oldhammer grots, along with more modern ones. All awaiting paint:
Next

Return to WIP