twisted moon's 2018

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:14 pm

twisted moon's 2018

been a slow start to 2018 in terms of posting, but some painting has been going on. here's what i've completed so far:

Company of the Yellow Boot1.JPG
Company of the Yellow Boot 1.
Company of the Yellow Boot1.JPG (53 KiB) Viewed 931 times

from left to right: a citadel hand gunner, das shwarze auge landsknecht with zweihander, citadel mordheim figure, das shwarze auge landsknecht with zweihander, citadel imperial engineer with long gun.

Company of the Yellow Boot2.JPG
Company of the Yellow Boot 2.
Company of the Yellow Boot2.JPG (46.75 KiB) Viewed 931 times

two conquest miniatures woodland indians, rackham minatures sharp-shooter, two more conquest miniatures woodland indians.

Company of the Yellow Boot3.JPG
Company of the Yellow Boot 3.
Company of the Yellow Boot3.JPG (50.87 KiB) Viewed 931 times

village green pirates, three with swords, one with a brace of pistols and a drummer.
the dark knight of the twisted moon

Image Image

Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: twisted moon's 2018

i realised i'd also painted these five village green pirates, two with blunderbuss and three with muskets, but forgotten to photograph them.

Company of the Yellow Boot4.JPG
more shot.
Company of the Yellow Boot4.JPG (48.83 KiB) Viewed 853 times

i then had a minor detour to paint these kryomek helion as giant worms for frostgrave.

Giant Worms.JPG
the worms hunt.
Giant Worms.JPG (49.06 KiB) Viewed 853 times

i picked these up at vapnartak for £4.00 for the pack after hunting for suitable miniatures at a reasonable price throughout 2017.

Image Image

Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:25 pm

more or less in parallel with the giant worms i also painted this:

Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank1.JPG
Roadblock.
Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank1.JPG (61.34 KiB) Viewed 851 times

Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank2.JPG
You can just about make out the gauges for the steam boiler.
Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank2.JPG (62.92 KiB) Viewed 851 times

i magnetised the base of the tank commander so that he can bail out if the tank brews up.

Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank3.JPG
Ready for inspection.
Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank3.JPG (74.39 KiB) Viewed 851 times

the photography still leaves a lot to be desired.

Image Image

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 pm

is that a original steam tank? looks great.

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:02 pm

it is, and all white metal; i bought it in the early '00s, by mail order, when it was on sale for some reason (would that correspond with the initial release of the 2nd generation design?).
thanks very much. in the same vein as skullcrusher and the undead war mammoth, i'm pleased to be getting paint on some of these bigger things finally.

Image Image

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:20 pm

I like the yellow and grey colour scheme of your Empire troops very much.

By the way, may I ask you which colour you used for the gold areas on the Steam Tank? I am looking for a gold colour which is less orange-like than the ones I normally use.

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:11 pm

thank you. the colour around the gun and surrounding the body paneling is vallejo model colour bronze 70998; the lighter colour used for contrast here and there is citadel colour shining gold.
as for the uniform colours, the yellow is an old and badly granulated citadel colour sunburst yellow whilst the grey is vallejo model colour green grey 886.

Image Image

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Cheers! I just bought a 70.998 Bronze from Vallejo today - a very nice colour indeed :)

Post Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:25 pm

i got these from reiver castings (https://reivercasting.wordpress.com/thi ... r-1618-48/ packs tyws3 & 4) at vapnartak and the pikes from coritani magnetic displays (http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/); £29.00 for a unit of 20 is a pretty good deal. the pikes are sold at 100mm length, but i cut them down to 80mm, since that looked better to me. i suspect it's still going to prove a challenge to physically get them into base contact with their opponents.
apart from the rear rank, they all need substantial cutting down of the integral bases to get them on 20mm slottas; they also needed careful positioning to rank up, which i haven't quite succeeded in doing due to a post-basing decision to have the horizontal pikes in the front rank.
although there's quite a good variety in the sculpts, i ended up painting them in bulk to try and ensure maximum variety within the limited scope of the uniform paint scheme. i think it worked, but wouldn't recommend it; back to batches of 5 or so from now on.

Company of the Yellow Boot Pike.JPG
pike block.
Company of the Yellow Boot Pike.JPG (100.22 KiB) Viewed 590 times

i ended up with ten sculpts of the second rank and none of the first, but reiver got replacements in the post as soon as i told them, so i'd recommend them for customer service.

Image Image

Post Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:39 pm

next up, an irregular miniatures (http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/) galloper gun and crew.

Company of the Yellow Boot Artillery.JPG
you probably don't want to stand there.
Company of the Yellow Boot Artillery.JPG (62.59 KiB) Viewed 449 times

i'm working on the limber for this at the moment, using a couple of irregular's horses. currently, i haven't attached the gun to the base so it can be switched between deployed and limbered modes, but ultimately may end up getting another copy, if irregular miniatures are at the durham wargames show in june.
i anticipate i'll use a version of the wfb 5th ed. dogs of war bronzino's galloper rules for this, which can be found here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/219215157/wa ... f-war-1998, tweaked for 2nd/3rd edition.
not sure how i'll use it in 'gothic horror: vampire wars', which is where this project originated.

Image Image
Next

Return to WIP