WIP plastic giant and stuff...

phreedh

So here's my current giant status... actually, I've done a first wash after this pic was taken:
wip_giant.jpg

In the background, my ongoing Doom Forgers project for Dungeon Bowl. =)

I also took a shot of the orc (ie giant troll in 28mm) for Thants:

ff_troll.jpg

Erny

The orc is quite nice, I think you could safely use him as a smaller giant rather than a troll.

Norse

Its looking good Phreedh!

I've been trying to find the battlegame they released for this range for years and have had no luck so far. I shall have to keep trawling eBay!

phreedh

Erny":3ilixwbs said:
The orc is quite nice, I think you could safely use him as a smaller giant rather than a troll.
I'm thinking "giant troll"... or possibly even "troll giant". He's way bigger than the 28mm trolls.

Norse: What ruleset might that be?

Norse

The one pictured on the left in this image:

Warlock6BattlegamePaints.jpg

Was released as a set with polyhedral dice to accompany the 54mm plastics.

It's the inclusion of the polyhedral dice particularly that make me so curious about the thing. Fighting Fantasy uses only d6, as does the Field of Glory wargame that came in Warlock 12. So this must be an entirely new beastie.

Anyway, good idea using them as giants! Especially in that peculiar colour from the 3e rulebook. I wonder whether many of the other 54mm Fighting Fantasy figures could prove useful?

Thantsants

I always wondered if there was a game for these figures or whether they were supposed to sit on a bookshelf guarding your precious FF greenbacks!

The giant's looking Phreedh - I'm at a similar stage too... :twisted:

The Orc is pretty cool too - could get away with him as a big armoured troll perhaps - no regeneration for him though! ;)

Thantsants

Sorry mate - didn't mean to do your giant down! ;) :lol:

Just out of interest, are you leaving the base as is or mounting him on something else?

Erny

When these figures were first announced in Warlock magazine they were to be part of a (this?) game. Originally it was to come as a boxed set with a polystyrene dungeon to bash about in with loads of 54mm plastic minis. This never happened but the figures as we know were released in individual blisters, the game rules, presumably the same ones were also released as a blister as shown above.

When I got my first giant off ebay a few years a go the same chap was selling all sorts of monsters and heroes, I really wish I'd picked them up at the time.

phreedh

Thantsants":2zmbrl30 said:
Just out of interest, are you leaving the base as is or mounting him on something else?
Don't really know yet. I think I want something more square to prevent him from toppling over.

Erny, interesting stuff! I really want to have a look at those rules now.

Regarding the other models, I had a bunch as a kid including the ones pictured above - these are actually MY old models bought by wee me. Well, the ogre is/was my cousins. The others I sold on when I unearthed these earlier this year. They're good for nothing but collecting, and that's a no-no for me. I've grown too utilitarian. =)

Ti Pouchon

Please, please get back to the Dungeonbowl teams!
The giant is very nice, though. Not a fan of the sculpt, but you're making it shine.

Ti Pouchon":3iy4b7uq said:
Please, please get back to the Dungeonbowl teams!
The giant is very nice, though.

My eye was drawn to the dwarves in the background too.

That giant brings back memories of seeing the pics in the front of WFB and wondering where the model was from.

Zhu Bajie

I don't believe the game rules were ever published (go on, someone prove me wrong, I'd love to see some poly-dice FF combat rules!) but just mocked up for publicity. I do remember seeing both the miniatures and the paint set for sale in my local toy shop, but not the battle game.

Rules for using these models with WFB 2E are in the Autumn 1985 Citadel Journal http://www.solegends.com/citjour85bautumn/citjour85b042-02.htm (click 'next image')

Back