EM4/Grenadier Dwarves & Orcs

Norse

As mentioned in my intro in the Presentation board, I have recently begun putting troops together for a 2nd edition pseudo-campaign, with elements of 1st edition. It wont be a 'proper' campaign, so much as an evolving backdrop to set some frequent 2 player and occasional 4-6 player scenarios to.

First part of this is to get some basic orc and dwarf forces together. Just finished the first 10 speardwarf regiment and thought I'd share what I was doing.

My hands aren't terribly steady, which makes my brushwork somewhat dodgy. I don't really want to subject classic pieces of lead to my dodgy painting skills, I would rather inflict that on something still in production and the cost of old lead seems to have seen a sudden price hike too. But at the same time, I wanted an old school look to my troops.

EM4miniatures cast the old plastic Grenadier fantasy warriors plastics. These have a number of limitations of course, but all the same prove perfect for my needs; and between those, a box of bitz and my laser cutter I should be able to model everything I need that is orc or dwarf (I need various other bits, including halflings with sheep cart Technicals for my Black Orc Down scenario).

Anyway, enough talking, have some photos of the I'st Oost Mijngang Infanterie:

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

I have always loved the old grenadier minis. These look awesome. Also I think its hilarious you can buy those plastic dwarfs and orcs 50 for like 10 bucks. Really gives a new take on cheap army building. =)

Norse

Thanks airborne!

I do like the grenadier miniatures. The price of these is absurdly low. They are a bit limited of course, 3 poses for each of only 2 sides, but you can do a surprising amount with them. The orcs are much easier to convert though, you can move arms and legs about if you're patient. I'm planning on getting a contingent of Grenadier wood elves too when I have time to paint them, they look fantastic. And I have a bunch of their brilliant armoured Chaos warriors I need to find an excuse to use.

I apologise to those members of the forum from the Nederlands for my mangled Dutch by the way. Ever since I was a kid, Dwarves and Gnomes have always been Dutch to me rather than Scandinavian. We have several friends of the family from the Nederlands and I used to spend hours flicking through this big amazing book about Dwarves and Gnomes. Wish I could remember what it was called!

Dreamfish

Administrator
Hmm, Dutch Dwarfs and Gnomes, you mean "kabouters" and "gnomen". Kabouter plop is the only Dutch dwarf I know of. Not sure about the book you're referring too. Still, it's funny to see you're using Dutch on your banner.

Norse

Thankee Dreamfish, if I get any of it wrong please do correct me, my Dutch isn't as good as it should be!

Thanks Phreedh! Yeah, cleaning them up can be a painful exercise, but when you can get a hundred of them with shields for the same price as a single GW plastic regiment it's worth the little bit of extra effort!

I don't think it was that book, the name doesn't sound right and the cover isn't the same. I guess it might have had a different cover in Holland though, so it could be.

Yeah, Mirliton I'm keeping an eye on for maybe the occasional special piece. Once you add the VAT and postage, and then consider the exchange rate they work out quite pricey. But for the occasional thing I think its worth it. I want a troll or two, maybe a dragon. The price consideration isn't nearly as important as not wanting to daub out of print lead with my dodgy painting, slightly disguised by the heavy use of black wash!

Luckily you can get a few of those items (mainly wood elves and halflings) from em4, which makes them a lot cheaper. You can also find a slightly greater, if different, range of grenadier from Battlezone miniatures (although they have half orcs listed as Orcs for some reason), including the fantastic armoured chaos warriors which have to be my favourite miniatures.

Back