Wood Elf Ally Contingent

Jeff McC

Progress is being made...slowly. The wardancers have made it through the wash stage, so they've just faces, bases and highlights to go; the guard unit however, seems to be dragging it's feet.

Attachments

• wardancers midway.JPG
    wardancers midway.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 1,724
  • elves 2 slow start.JPG
    elves 2 slow start.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 1,724

Jeff McC

The wardancers are finished, with the guard unit sitting at about 75% complete. I'm slightly frustrated, as I hadn't noticed what a poor job of removing the mold lines I'd done with the guy on the left until I took the photo and saw him at several times life sized. :oops:

Attachments

• Wardancers finished.JPG
    Wardancers finished.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 1,707

Jeff McC

Thanks for the comments. The additional guards are finished.

And more importantly, they match well with the ones I painted earlier.. :)

Attachments

• batch 2 finished.JPG
    batch 2 finished.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 1,685
  • full unit.JPG
    full unit.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 1,685

Subedai

Great looking contingent! I like the colour scheme you have chosen, works very well and really gives them the appearance of being able to blend into the woods at will to stalk their prey.

Jeff McC

Splurged and picked up the MDC treeman to add to the force, with a second treeman from the reaper bones line in the post. I'm hoping they'll be reasonably similar in size... In any case you're here for pictures, so..Here he is fresh out of the box

Cleaned up, primed, and starting to lay in base colors. (Ended up color coding branches to keep track of what goes where.) I'm sticking with the fall palette, and working towards red/red-orange leaves. (Moss seems to stay green in the fall though - at least from the reference photos I was able to find quickly) I'm still working on a name for him - leaning towards Redbeard, but that seems a bit pirate-y...

Attachments

• treeman start.JPG
    treeman start.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 1,604
  • treeeman 2.JPG
    treeeman 2.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,604

Galadrin

Jeff McC":6f3ws63x said:
file.php

It looks like you are using a nice grey-brown (second from left in first row) and a nice red-brown (second from right in front row). What paints are those?

Jeff McC

Galadrin,
The grey brown is P3 Thornwood green, and the red brown is P3 Sanguine base, both washed with army painter strong tone ink.

Jeff McC

The treeman is coming along, all base colors laid in, now starting to work the leaf detail. I'm reasonably pleased with the result so far.

Attachments

• treeman 3.JPG
    treeman 3.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 2,408

weazil

That's one of the best treemen I've ever seen, Mr Jeff - very well done! Looking at him, I'd call him Ambertusk.

Galadrin

I got a hold of the P3 paints and they are some great colours (and excellent coverage to boot). I'm having a little trouble with the Thornwood Green though... mine is coming out a flat brown without even a hint of mossy green. Is there another coat of something you are putting on those nice, subdued green capes?

Jeff McC

Gladrin,
Sorry no - just the thornwood green with the army painter strong tone...the green in it is subtle. I don't see any lot numbers on the bottle, although I suppose there could be some variation between lots. Other than making sure it's well shaken, I'm kind of stumped. ..... Have you added the wash yet? It's a warm, slightly reddish brown, the red in the brown might be helping to pull out the green as it's chromatic opposite (but I'm grasping at straws a bit here..)
Good luck in any case.

Jeff McC

Galadrin,
Your photo gave me one more thought...I painted over a white primer coat, looks like you're working over black, that might account for the difference in color.

Back