Grumdril's orc warband (one day...)

Grumdril

I thought I should put these up here to spur me on, and hopefully one day give a track of my progress...

I'm planning to paint up this lot, plus one more chap who's still in the Dettol, as a first stab at getting some greenskins on the table.

warbandStart.jpg

It's a bit of a mix at the moment, properly painted ones (as I thought at the time, 25 years ago), hurriedly painted ones (bad black undercoat jobs) and also a selection of newly stripped and newly aquired.

The archers are outstanding entries for the October painting challenge, so it's dimly possible there'll be paint on them soon.

I'm planning to go for a traditional goblin green tone, sort of like the below, except this time with some lowlights.

orcColour.jpg

Hopefully to be updated soon, but don't hold your breath...!

There will be phases 2 and 3 at some point, but if I put them all up at once it'll be too overwhelming to start :(

Subedai

Nice bunch, looking forward to seeing this motley crew go increasingly green and grow into a tribe!

Nice collection of models you got there with some classic sculpts in the mix. The old school paint jobs look good, as you could paint that well then you should be able to do a fine job with them now.

Erny

Awesome!

Now I know the boyz I'm sending you are going to a good place. Just need to find the time to get down to the post office.

You are going to need some goblins mind.

Asslessman

I'm not an orcish adpet but I have to say this big orc with the spiked mace is really great ! Could someone tell me where this one is from?

You have a very nice collection to begin with and if the rest comes out as the first 2 models, it will be a brilliant army to field.

Aiteal

Asslessman":8hain21t said:
I'm not an orcish adpet but I have to say this big orc with the spiked mace is really great ! Could someone tell me where this one is from?

Pretty sure he's a champ from the regular orc command blisters.

Asslessman

Aiteal":3gxdbtat said:
Asslessman":3gxdbtat said:

Pretty sure he's a champ from the regular orc command blisters.

Thanks to you guys I'm starting to add orcs to my want list... this one has got too much blanchesque goodness for me to look away. :oops:

Asslessman

Erny":2gq346hz said:
Getting you to paint up orks for orctober worked! we have a convert to the mean green.

Well, you're not far from truth :roll: Get me this champion and consider it my next orctober entry :grin: (hesitating with Gorfang rotgut if I can find one)
Grumdril is also to blame for posting good examples and making me want to try orcs for a change...

Grumdril

Thanks for the encouragement guys - hopefully I'll get back to painting these chaps after this weekend.

I have a fair few more orcs in boxes, including some more classic sculpts and more of that '88 command group reserved for my Biguns. I didn't want to put them all in the first photo for fear of scaring myself from starting! I'll put up a new to-do photo once the first photo's all painted.

Erny - you're right, I do need goblins. I have very few left, but fortunately there's all sorts of people selling Kev Adams goblins these days, and the Foundry ones are quite nice too. I'm not so keen on Kev's later orcs as they seem to me to have got too goblin-y, and no other orcs quite sit right against the older Citadel stuff (not even the Marauder ones to me, although I know they have their fans). I'm mildly depressed that I had about half of the C15 and 16 orcs originally but gave them away in my early 20s. Ah well, that's what eBay's for :)

Asslessman - glad to hear you're being tempted :) I have that archer regiment lined up facing my desk, and there's something fantastically menacing but also cheerful about them. Plus a dash of cluelessness and animosity too, to stop them taking themselves too seriously!

Paul / Grumdril

Grumdril

I've finally got there (mostly), the first pass of the warband is done -

orcWarbandInitial.jpg

Still the shaman and boyz standard bearer to do, but they've been shuffled into the next batch -

warbandBatch2.jpg

Along with savage orcs, biguns, the hobgoblins from Whiskey Priest's challenge, wolf riders and a troll. Oh, and some extra bits and pieces for a few of the "finished" units.

Target - end of the year. No, seriously!

Grumdril

This thread needs more of an update, but for now I wanted to add in the orc champion generously donated by Erny -

orcChampCleavers.jpg

And here with some of his lads -

orcChampWithRegmt.jpg

Thanks again Erny!

Golgfag1

Good to see the horde continues to grow, Paul, well done - quite a clean & tidy job there.

"Target - end of the year. No, seriously!" Sorry but I'm still trying to get my head around this idea of FINISHING an army, I've never completed an army in all the years I've been painting, hence the lead mountain in the attic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will I be seeing you at the Abingdon show next week?

In hope Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril

Hi Paul,

Yup, I'll be at Overlord 2016 next weekend, unfortunately due to Real Life it'll only be a flying visit, probably with kids in tow. I'm on setting up and taking down duties instead.

Golgfag1":kf567ejm said:
"Target - end of the year. No, seriously!" Sorry but I'm still trying to get my head around this idea of FINISHING an army, I've never completed an army in all the years I've been painting, hence the lead mountain in the attic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will I be seeing you at the Abingdon show next week?

In hope Paul / Golgfag1

The "finished" was only for the batch in that second photograph, sad to say most of them are still bare lead nearly a year and a half later. And even when the warband is "finished" that'll only be in the sense that if there's a game on I have a reasonable expectation that I can field a decent force (though still no match for your horde!). Then I can move on to the hobgoblin / goblin band, the chaos warband, the other chaos warband, the skaven, the Norse / dwarf / Empire force, the dark elf contingent, etc. And I'm sure there'd still be the room for the odd orc that I've been seeking, it'd just be that I was over the first hurdle...

See you next weekend hopefully, or failing that in March.

Paul / Grumdril

Grumdril

Just so I can track my (very slow!) progress here's all the lads together -

orcWarbandFeb2016.jpg

There are a couple of war machines hiding behind that standard -

orcWarbandFeb2016_wm.jpg

And no, "hiding behind the standard" isn't a viable battlefield tactic - not least because if I ever deployed them as shown in the picture the battle would be one big animosity-fest! :)

Paul / Grumdril

Grumdril

I've repainted one of my Marauder black orcs. Here he is from my post in the Introduction thread nearly 3 years ago (painted probably another 20 years before that) -

orc_cmd.jpg

And here he is now, with some henchmen and hangers on -

grackTheWise.jpg

I need to re-varnish him to get rid of the gloss look, although it's not so obvious in the flesh. Since he had paint on him already I really should have instead tackled something from the bare lead pile, but I needed an extra figure to fill out the warband and I wasn't happy fielding him as he was before. Mainly that the animal skin was far too flat, and because of its colour tended to draw the eye too much. But he's also benefited from all the other things I've learned in the last few years, mainly thanks to this forum.

Back to vikings for a while now, so this thread will get neglected again...

Paul / Grumdril

Back