Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader

I really didn't like how the Chaplain's banner looked, every time I saw it, it annoyed me. It was one of the new ones with some of the detail already sculpted on. Not very rogue trader. I went back to the old paper, only I use a little photoshop magic to make his own custom banner AND the flag from the artwork last stand. (Just need to bend that about a little more to make it look less paper stiff.) The anniversary marines one I found online and just resized it. Magnatised the backpack banners for easy storage. Only thing I don't like about paper banners is that they look so, well, cut out paper banner, you know what I mean?

I've spent the rest of the time getting everything I had left/wanted to keep ready. i.e a combination of glued, posed, based, repaired, customised, undercoated. A shooty termi squad with choice of assault cannon or cyclone launcher. 2 more librarians to make me a trio. Another Inquisitor because why not. The two tech marines to act as gunners. An assassin, where? The rtb1 dev squad for the missile launchers. And the other bits you can see. After all that I will complete the army with a Landraider (below) and x2 rhinos.

At some point, probably when I am fatigued of painting I have me a side project. Fresh out of the cook pot. I'll leave the parts of whats to be for your assumptions.

The brotherhood grows slowly. I never expected it to take me this long or end up as big AND still growing. To some extent I got a bit carried away buying the odd bits here and there but in the notion that all this will be kept so that in another 20 years when it's all truly ancient and items are starting to get a little harder to find, I'll be the proud owner of this modest collection. I loved it when I was a kid playing 2nd and 3rd edition seeing the 'oldies' playing with this stuff in the hobby shop and thinking it was cool and old and different then! In another 20 years when its 50 years on its going to really look ancient in comparison.Really 10,000 years in the past. Maybe when I have kids I'll pass it down to them... meh, like hell I will. I'll strip it and paint it all again! :D

P.S As a side note, I found the other day having given all the finished army a good matt spray varnish, pleased as punch it wont chip with all the top heavy falling over the metal models do. That it really toned down the highlight colour and highlighted blending not only making it look matt but the colour a little flat? I looked this up on the Googles and apparently this is a thing. Le sigh. Honestly, why can we be psychic and know these things before the event. I'm not going back over it all and highlighting and blending in again. Its table top standard that going to get a little bashed about when played with so... GrrrrRRRRRR damn it.

Post Tue May 01, 2018 11:52 am

For the true old school banner you need to wait until you have finished a tube of tomato puree then use the foil from the tube to make the banner. You can paint it and shape it but it will stay flat as well. You really need to wash it well though otherwise your Crimson Fist will smell slightly of margarita.

Post Tue May 01, 2018 11:29 pm

Great stuff! I think you may as well go for the full battle company now, eh? ;-)

Banners are all looking cool - I think the Chaplain's one is my favourite.

Land Raider is going to be an Achilles I guess?

Post Wed May 02, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks for the tip with the banners, I will definitely give that a go. Sounds like a perfect solution to give it the right look!

Full battle company lol :D :) :geek: Well, now that yo say it, we are over half strength. And yes to the Achilles. :D

Post Thu May 03, 2018 8:35 pm

A trio of Techmarines. Just about finished these two. Just got a little tidy up and a matt varnish. I think the Techmarines are my favourite sculpts. They really tell a story and unlike the modern counterparts, actually look like they could fix something in the field.

Post Sat May 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Relic Contemptor Dread all but done. Just need to weather/wear a little and varnish. I've been a bit braver with the contrast. In my inexperience and want for a more real-ish look I've not been confident enough and found that once varnished and stood back from, it disappears looking a little flat. Not this time.

I've still not painted up all those troops yet. I'll leave them be. I'm going to make tanks!

Post Sat May 12, 2018 1:56 pm

That is really beautiful!
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Post Sun May 13, 2018 5:53 pm

RT Land Raider Achilles in progress.

I didn't want to cut up a perfectly good top section of Land Raider so I thought I'd try my hand at plasticard and see how bad that goes. So far it seems to be going ok.
Built the LR, found and made the best magnet points (was a right trial, error, faf.) Magnetise both standard and Achilles tops so that I can play the tank as a standard LR or as Achilles variant.

Due to the tracks and wheel bolts sticking out a little, you cant just drop the lid in from the top. I had to stick the tank together tight but leave 1mm either side wide at the front between the body and tracks so that the lids slide in from the front and snap firmly to the magnets without leaving big gaps. Well pleased!

Post Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Had a real problem with the side guns all because I don't want to adulterate them but I DO want them maganatised. I'm really not that keen on them to be honest. If I just drilled and pinned them it would have saved me half a day of fiddling, trial and error and to compound the problem, my bits box is growing ever smaller. Whats available simply trumps what I want to do or would look better, so its been a bit of a pain. Anyway, this is the crude answer I came up with. A cut up oil can for the magnet to sit in, supper glued/putty the guns to it... shit, it sticks but suffers from gunner droop due to the weight and pivot point of the magnet. So I put a pin in to catch the sponson and stop it from dropping. Crude but works, cant be seen and allows for easy weapon on/off to swaps. If I had more junk bits to play with I'd definitely come up with something better. But it works.

Between the two LRs I finally had a pair of the original LR Heavy Bolters so I made the twin linked HB every Land Raider shouldn't leave home without.

And of course a storm bolter for the Achilles. I mean if your going to spend a ton of points on it to play it in a game, whats a couple more. In for a penny in for a pound. Also finnished off the top details. Again it was a make do and mend with what I had but for my first simple venture into plasticard. I'm pleased with it. I also used super glue and kitchen paper to make a dust skirt for the Quad launcher opening.

Post Tue May 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

The LR is all primed and ready for paint but before I get the battle station all cleaned up of bits and dust, there is something else I want to build.

A Rhino, or more a take on the Sisters of Battle Repressor. I can't get one of these on the old style Rhino chassis for love nor money, not ever sure if they made it for the original one. But, see, I've got my standard Rhinos, I've got my Techmarine/Engineers one, so for something different to look at on the field, the extra hull space would make for a great field apothecarium, aka Ambulance.

PreviousNext

Return to WIP