Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:09 pm

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader

Woh.Great Work.
Out Dung Gold produce. :mrgreen:
Respect for your employment.

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks for the comments :)

As always never enough time. I feel like I've been stuck on this squad forever. The pleasure and the pain is that each one is individual with, as I've said before, a surprising amount of detail! So unlike the usual space marines where you can block paint them and get a rhythm, I keep finding new bits of detail I've missed. As said though it is a pleasure to have interest in each figure rather than generic block colour, wash and repeat marines.

I promise I'll get them finished asap and give you lot some pics of something new to look at. :D

So, everyone with a sword and the flamer pistol chap will be jump pack assault squad, making 10. Now there will be a Sarg (yellow helmet band on head) AND a captain figure in the squad (scanner and eagle shoulder pad) but I want the squad to have a cohesive assault look that's why they are both in there. I might just cover the captain shoulder pad with a scroll or something.

There is also a Sarg with helmet off and arm out. I got it off ebay with no weapon in hand/cut off. So I cleaned up the hand and drilled it out to be an Ancient/banner holder. Then I realised it was a Sarg with the helmet and forearm rank marking. So he can be the Sarg of the tactical squad of 10 to come. The Snake Pliskin looking chap with bolter and big white hair will be the Dev squad of 5 Sarg.

That leaves the two Captains which I will play as Lieutenants for dice buffs (one I will give a jump pack to.) The army idea being I have a rough 2000 point army, half is small tactical squads of 5 to meat shield, dev squad and tanks with a lieutenant and captain/chapter master close by for their cooperative dice buffs. The other half of the army is the 5 man assault termie squad, 10 man assault squad and temie chaplain and a jump pack lieutenant to give the cooperative dice buffs. The idea being I can hold all the assault in reserve and jump it all in when / were needed.

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Stunning work the miniatures are full of such character
My blog http://quendilsworld.blogspot.co.uk
You can never have too many projects!

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:36 pm

So the troops in the previous posts/pics are basically done. Onto something different for a bit. Thud gun. (Stand in for Thunderfire cannon for any 8th edition amongst us.)

Now I've not got all the bits for it. I can find a wheel on ebay for silly money but not the armour plate or tractor unit so, green stuff it is. (Unless someone wants to send me a remould from theirs? :D )
I made a press mould of the one wheel I had. Took me about three attempts to get a reasonable one. Blue stuff is easy to use but difficult to master. I've found making a little lego box to hold it all in works nice and instead of hot water from the kettle, work it from out of a pan of boiling water. Anyway, wheel done. I've not got a tractor unit for the gun either buuuut I saw on a forum somewhere, an epic rhino was used. I've got one of those so I trimmed it up and yeh baby, yeh, perfecto! Now I've just measured and cut the front shield and I'm waiting for it to cure.

Now the model normally is free standing but because of the remoulded wheel is not going to be up to being scuffed about the battle field, I needed to base it. Sadly no 60mm round bases in my stock, just some old long'uns. So I glued two of them together (good job its not for tournament) and will base it as per the troops to tie it all in. I know, I know it all looks bit squiff at the moment, but when the green stuffs set I can trim it to shape and do the magic on it all. :)

When this is done I'll be working on a 5 man devastator squad next but I've got problems. I was going to magnatise the weapons and shoulders for swaps. I specifically wanted 4 launchers for the most part but alas the plastic ones don't fit the metal troops. I'm a bit loathed to start chopping them up as I have none spare. I'll think on it. I really want the metal heavies on the table. If not I'll just have to make an extra squad of plastic beakies for when I want launchers.

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Thud gun mostly finished, just needs a little tidy up work. Went a bit OTT with the pigments to try and hide the bad bits of model but I don't like it, I'll damp brush them back. I'll also rebase it on a large round base when I get one and match the martian sand colours in a bit. Its not my best work, was a bit rushed but a bit of green stuff has saved a bunch of lead parts being useless.

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 am

Loving all the progress here. Very cool force coming together.
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 pm

I love every update here. The Thudd Gun is awesome!

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:50 pm

As always thank you for your comments. I'm very guilty myself of watching threads and enjoying them but never commenting, so again, thank you.

I didn't like the look of the thud gun with all the pigment on it, so I damp brushed it all back and painted the wheels the same colour and weathering as the tank tracks. I'm happy with this now as it ties it in to the army as a whole. I also thought it just looked rushed messy as opposed to weathered.

I made a custom twink link heavy bolter to finish the Landraider. Not the original H.Bolter I know. But I've only got one and I think these really look the part, suit the scale of the tank.

AAAAAaaaand, having seen this image again recently, I went back and added those little RT touches to the medic.

I have though, run into yet another problem. The basing. I've been pleased with the mars like sand basing and I think the colours work really well against the marines blue armour, buuut, each batch of models I have done, the sand tones are all slightly different due to the unmeasured paint to water that overcoats the zenithal highlighting undercoat of the sand. Some bases are very vibrant others are muted. The only solution I can see at this stage is to simply repaint all the bases (same colours / wet blend) and forgo the zenithal undercoat to have them all match. The trouble was I couldn't/can't batch paint all the bases in one go as each model has a custom drilled and textured base, so until each model is trimmed and pinned and base drilled, the base can't be set and painted. Nor can I spray/air brush the model when its on the base or the base when its on the model for overspray. Don't get me wrong I can repaint them but its just a ball ache and it will loose the sexy 3d effect that they have. In future I'd use flatter, presculpted bases where I could batch paint them all then just drill a little hold in.

On a plus note, I've been playing with magnets and the heavy weapons/ Devastator team and they are kind of working. I just need stronger magnets in tiny sizes to hid them in shoulders and weapons. While I wait for the order to arrive I've started working on painting a 5 man vet squad and the 9 man tactical squad to go with the Sarg who's done.

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Some more WIP. I've gone all out with the troops to try and batch the basics then just sit and take time over details. Now that I have gone back to the good old simple basing and wet blending painting, rather than the cut, drill, pin figure, measure and drill base, top and sand, zenithal prime, paint, mount figure, faff about with super glue frosting, etc, It's much easier AND will keep the basing tones consistent throughout the army. In fact I will repaint ALL the figure bases in one go. Its just my OCD, once noticed can now not be un-noticed. I should have set a formular but measuring citadel paint out of the pot consistently is not happening.

It doesn't look so bad in the photo but to the mark 1 eye ball, its VERY noticeable.

Anyway, time to get a batch of marines done. We've got a 5 squad of Sternguard, the 3 plasma guys count as combi plas and 2 special issue bolters. All have their terminator honours on them for vets. Oddly enough, one of the plasma dudes has the imperial eagle (original sculpt) on his shoulder denoting him as command staff?!

There are 9 tactical marines (sarg is already painted.) Can play as a 10 man squad but I'm more likely to play them as x2 5 man units. One all with helmets and one without. Might just see the Imperial Space Marine in the back row there. Shame they nurffed his stats/weapon in 8th edition.

I ran out of backpacks so for the flamer, I had what I think is a Squat back pack? Tried to turn it into a fuel tank, back back for the flamer. Just need a pipe to the gun to finish it. Not so sure about that yet, but if I get a spare back pack I can always change it.

Also got the 'Comms' marine ready to go. I really like this sculpt but, not sure what to do/play him as. I might jig a tactical squad member out and put him in to look good. He looks more in keeping with the squad than the Imperial Marine in his 'ancient' armour.

I wanted to have a play around with some really bad old beakies I got of ebay. I stripped them with the wilco stripper which I still don't recommend despite price, as it made even the plastic soft and brittle. I do love the old beakies but the poses leave a lot to be desired. So I'm having a go at reposing and modernising them. Not sure how they will turn out. I'll try a few and see if I have the skills to make them work.

That's it for now folks.

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Love seeing this army coming together. I think you've made the right choice with regards to the basing. I've got a set formula for painting up mine and I don't deviate from the colour one little bit.

One little concern is the Rhino crew member you have based up as a normal grunt. Maybe tweak his legs so he's standing up? I used him as a rider on a Bullock a while back, just reposed him into a sitting position.

Keep this stuff coming man, it's looking ace!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
My Blog: Mr Papafakis
Stuff I'd like to have: Wishlist
Stuff I'd like you to have: Trades
PreviousNext

Return to WIP