Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

I've found plasticard easy to use but very difficult to master. By that I mean its easy to cut out shapes and stick it but factoring in the width of a blade when you cut, the loss of surface area from the removed cut line and even the angle your holding the blade at when you cut (and not even thinking about it) all effect the over all quality of your produce. Also, you'd think it would be easy to cut a line or two to the same length or angle, pah! Not in your wildest dreams! AND to cut out a helix like you can't see on the roof due to a crappy camera (broke my old, service will resume with better quality soon) is really hard! Windows slits too, really hard but looking at it you'd think it easy. I've been using 1mm thick card which was perfect for tank hulls and you can sort of melt it a little with polly cement and fill in little gaps and holes. I don't think this and the LR came out toOoOo bad for a first time.

The 'Ambulance' is all but done. Just tidy up and ready for undercoat. The idea behind this was the Sister of battle Redeemer. The extra hull space would make treating and holding wounder marines easier, have space and room for extra equipment. I had to move the top hatch forward to give the bolter a field of fire worth having it on there for. Window slits because everyone likes a view of the battle field. Found 2 old brass? skulls so, yeh, have them on there as honours. No doors on the front just the drivers cover as the theme would have people in and out the back. Speaking of the back, a tail lift! Get those heavy armoured wounded into the back bed and a door to get in and out. (I actually work on ambulances so I took a few design ideas from there.) This was made the same way as I did on the LR. The front armour panel cut up and stuck together. Air filers / heaters on the top too made from bits and a backpack and of course all the usual repairs and cover overs you have to do with the old refurb tanks.

So whats next / left. All that painting to do and one last basic rhino. Then the force is complete... maybe ;)

Post Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 am

Better quality pic. If I did this again, I'd make the top roof just a little bit smaller. Even just that 1mm plastic card surface roof on top gave it a lot of visual height.

Finished the last good old fashion Rhino. Just as with the very first Rhino I did way back at the start of this I had to make the grab rails and exhausts out of wire and off cuts of plastic. Skull aerials magnatised as so too is are the roof doors to accept the twin link Tarantula gun to make it a Razorback. This model has a really smashed up and hacked out rear hull which I had to patch up with plasticard and putty but it came out ok.

The three and final tanks primed and ready for paint.

I've got no front lights for the rhino or the Land Raider :( Anyone got any spare?

Post Thu May 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Looking amazing already.

Post Sat May 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks Stormbringer :)

I feel more confident with my airbrushing and contrast. Trouble is now I have to try and balance what looks good with how I previously did the tanks. Little bit darker on the contrasts here which I like and still just about blends in with the rest of the army.

Post Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm

I had missed these updates and I find them jaw dropping. What a work.

Post Wed May 23, 2018 5:30 pm

yes, fantastic. really very impressed.

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for the comments :) Still far from finnshed. Not had much if any time of late except to put a little paint on. It's getting there, s-l-o-w-l-y but I'm very pleased so far with it all. The Achilles IMO looks all in proportion and of its time. I'm also pleased with the look of the Ambo, if not a just a tad high on the roof and a little off angle with the hazard stripes. The Rapier Quad Bolter came out ok for table top standard. So I'm chuffed to have a working playable assesses and not wasted the metal parts.

Still can't get rid of the bloody shine on the water slide transfers. Grrrr! Really p**s me off that.

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:40 pm

The process I use to apply transfers it's as follows:

1. Apply a gloss coat to the area you want to apply the transfer to. Wait to dry.
2. Apply transfer. Wait to dry.
3. Apply gloss coat over it. Wait to dry.
4. Apply dull coat. Done.

You don't get any shine then.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
My Blog: Mr Papafakis
Stuff I'd like to have: Wishlist
Stuff I'd like you to have: Trades

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Motor pool is done. So, we have a brace of Rhinos, 3 of which I can run as Razorbacks. 1 standard Pred (with changeable turret for relic weapons like beamer, etc) and the 2 Land Raiders. Between the two of them I can switch the load outs to run a Achilles, God hammer or Prometheus. Should just about fill every heavy tank need I have from fire support beast, to battle tank to command and hoard control. I have on the later tanks gone a little more with the contrast and much less with the weathing. Unline the previous models they were in good condition under all the paint where as the others I used the weathering to hid the bad bits.

When I get time in the future, I will look about making some quad bolters that look more in keeping with the age, as per the pintle mounted set. But for now I'm short on time just to get this project done and on the gaming table.

Also thanks for the transfer advice. I have done that on other tanks and still had the same problem. I wonder if its because I mostly use the old 1990's water slide transfers? Who knows, but the matt varnish takes the edge off a little.

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Do you have micro sol and micro set? These really help get rid if the edges of transfers. Sometimes you have to use multiple coats of the second part (I forget the order they are applied in).

You can also try solv-a-set, but I find this to be a bit too strong for old GW transfers.
PreviousNext

Return to WIP