Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader

fantastic work as usual. your techmarine is inspiring, ditto the tarantula cannon (espeically the rhino / razorback idea). the paint chips and wear look fantastic on the land raider.

JonAtron

Thanks DaddyOrChips and Mr skeleton :grin: - Its a voyage of learning and rediscovery.

I was thinking about the fluff of this army and the 'end of school photo shoot,' that there was no banner man or Ancient as they are called. There isnt an RT metal one as far as I know so I looked in the bits box and frowned. BuuuuUUUUT I did manage to cobble a marine together and I found an old jean button I must have saved as a kid back in the day for such a thing! I thought with a nice crimson fist water slide transfer in the middle and a banner behind it, it might work. So I gave it go...

Finger prints on the green stuff, school boy error I'm sure. :) I'll have to google how to remedy that if I do another one. Hopefully it will paint over and at table top distance not be an issue.

JonAtron

Company Ancient is done, as usual just needs a few touch ups and a matt varnish (as with everything else, to protect and 'un-shiny' the decals.) I don't know why tinypic is rotating some of the pics. I think it turned out acceptable for a rusty old jeans button and some poorly sculpted green stuff.

Up next is a medic. Need an apothecary to heal the wounded white metal and harvest the plastic gene seed. I've also got a newer back pack which i think fits nicely with the model and gives him the tools to do his trade.

I've also been tinkering with a vehicle mounted servo arm. I'm not sure about it yet. All joints are magnatised and move. First time I've tried to make anything like it but I feel it looks more Orky than imperial. Its not for the the rhino pictured, but another I got of ebay. I wanted a recovery/utility tank look to it.

Gotta preserve that plastic gene seed :)

Your army is looking great, keeps getting better and better with each new addition. Awesome!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Gallivantes

The servo arm is a really cool addition to the rhino and I hope you follow through with it. I think you are right though in that it has a rather orky feel but I think it can be remedied with some tweaks if you are not happy with the current version.

I think the area of interest is the claw itself (in that the arm is fine). What you have there is pretty closely mimics the power klaw design that has been used several times on various ork models for a long period. Fairly iconic by now I guess.

A blend of bestial talons and hydraulic power shears. Beast + destruction = good Ork formula I suppose.

If you want a recovery/utility vibe I think the first thing to modify would be the contact areas of the gripping appendage. Sharp blades destroy, blunt implements do not (unless you apply enough crushing force, in which case they do that really well too :) )

I think the claw digit+joint layout can be experimented with more freely. The hands-with-fingers of the dreadnought arm looks more organic, if that’s something you prefer. If you want a more artificial/mechanical look you could substitute that for the sliding hydraulic tongs of this techmarine servo-arm. Sources of inspiration from real life could be excavator claws and assembly line robots. They all perform various handling tasks. The thing they have in common is that they don’t present a sharp blade to the objects they manipulate. If you want your contraption to be less “Orky” I think this would be something to consider.

And playing devil’s advocate, the more I look at your servo claw the more I like it. It’s a nice juxtaposition of styles and there can be a story in there somewhere, if you want to. Just saying that it doesn’t have to be wrong as it is, it’s more that it’s up to you. If you are ambivalent about how it fits in to the force but actually like the look of it, maybe you can address it with a narrative instead of rebuilding the claw.

Maybe it is in fact an ork implement, salvaged and re-appropriated by desperate marines in a resource-strained war theatre that encourages quick improvisation and economical, yet functional builds? Or of different origins, but likewise hastily cobbled together from available materials by clever techmarines in dire need. Maybe it is a multi-role vehicle using it’s servo-arm for not only salvage but also clearing paths through rubble and breaching lighter enemy fortifications and barricades? If you are not keen on rebuilding the arm I'm sure you could get around it with a narrative.

Attachments

• Arm_1.jpg
    Arm_1.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 2,402
  • Arm_2.jpg
    Arm_2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 2,402

ardyer

I love the conversion on the standard bearer, especially the armor on his hand that is holding the banner.

BTW, if it's any use, "pop goes the monkey" on shapeways has several fist style upgrades that might be useful.

JonAtron

Thank you for the input and ideas! Always very much appreciated. I changed it. I liked the narrative idea, its what this little force is all about but it just didn't look quite right.

The humble force so far.

Suber

All these additions are great. Clever solutions and definitely good looking stuff.

Gallivantes

Sweet. The claw mod worked nicely, definitely looks like a recovery crane thingy now. Rhino Recovery and Repairs, at your service lol.

JonAtron

So, more work than I expected on this old plastic. Just getting the main elements in place before a good patch up, clean up, and undercoat. Running really low on the bits box so I'm having to cobble things together, including the tanker looking through his binoculars. A little ode to the metal torso one that I don't got. I'll probably cover the big holes and bad bits with stowage as to fill them and sand them, they always show through the paint some.

Really great job! Love the repositioned RBT01 Marine :) Your additions and modifications look great!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

JonAtron

What tanks you got/stripping Andy?

Been busy with the xmas festivities and all, but I've had a little time just to get a drop of paint on. Its not come out quite as I wanted. I see some painters can make a tank look weathered and worn but the work still looks crisp with all the elements well defined. Mines not quite like that and the lighting don't do it much justice in the pics. It flattens and distorts the colour and blending, but I'm happy with it, its a good table top standard that wont show me up in a game.

Still WIP with much to do and they all still need a matt varnish. Was waiting to get them all up to scratch then blast the lot. (Hopefully get rid of that transfer shine.)

I've also started on more troops. I settled on a nice 2000 point army list that should fit most games but still all authentic looking RT.

AndrewMay

Hey mate, I've got one of each RT tanks in good condition plus a couple of janky rhinos that will get a spruce up hopefully!

Dooz

Love thos rhino restoration jobs. Good creativity and great paintjobs

JonAtron

Finally finished all the tanks to a good table top standard. Now, the water slide decals I can simply not get to 'blend in' with the model. Matt varnish just does not hide the decal transfer film shine. I've used microsol to put them on, part painted over them, but... How do you lot over come that horrible transfer film?

Currently working on a push for some troops, get some more boots on the ground. We've got a jump pack squad of 10 and some command structure.

Just finish that there medic. Need to photo them in the fridge or something (makes a good light box apparently :grin: )

Will Harley

Thanks for sharing, what a selection of wonderful photo's. Pure inspiration, excellent.

Will.

JonAtron

Not much time of late. Had a disaster with finecast/resin and paint remover *sobs* still, live and learn. Only had time to get these few jump troops closer to finished. Got a captain on the go, a sarg for the jump squad and the other 6 troops still to do. Still enjoying it all though. I was also surprised at just how detailed some of the areas are. I often look at the figures and think they are quite basic but when you take your brush to them, they have some real character and details.

Back