Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

JonAtron

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader

Grumbles.

Not had much time of late, new job and all but I have been squeezing in 20 minutes here and there. Been having a 'mare with the air brush. I simply can NOT get it to shoot consistently for detail / small work. It sprays large fine but when you want to get in close to blend its too unreliable, the trigger point for the flow rate you want always seems to slow quickly so you can never get a reliable feel and have to give it a good blast away from the mini. I've tried thinning paints with water, window cleaner, I've tried all my paints, citadel, vallejo game and model air... :cry: The compressor flow seems good, I've tried pis from 10 to 26 and all have the merits with certain paints but I just cant get a reliable flow for the blending work. Brush is clean, needle is fine, o rings all good.

So I've spent most of my time respraying mistakes and correcting errors / learning which of course builds layers on the mini but all the base work is done eh... So I've just started back with the brushes and building up the highlights with glazes. The work continues. *kicks the airbrush* I also can not find a highlight colour/shade I like the look, feel of.

Zhu Bajie

Nice basing and the Crimson Fists are always a winer. Looks like nice clean, tidy work.

JonAtron

Not had much if any time at the moment but I've almost finished the squad, as with the tanks just need decals and a few little touch ups here and there. Anyone got any crimson Fists Water slide transfers knocking about?

JonAtron

Working on some Termies. Pinned them for basing as I wanted to try out a basing technique I've found. If it looks good/works I'll carry it through the rest of the army. I'm also trying go get a molten metal, super hot glowing hammer look. I thought against the dark blue armour, it would look brighter and more contrasting than the usual blue/white power weapon glow. I'm a little undecided about it, maybe I need more yellow, tad of white?

JonAtron

Hammernators are all but done, just need a few touch ups and a matt varnish. Had a right issue with the superglue though. I set all the arms and shields in place, next day it had frosted white over arms and chest meaning I had to repaint areas with arms and legs in place. As per this chaps arm below. Anyone got a way around this? I don't remember ever having this issues before. I'm using gorilla gell superglue.

Gallivantes

I have experienced this too and it seems a common occurrence amongst hobbyists. Plenty info out there so you can research it quite easily. However you might find a quick fix among these tips:

The quickest, easiest thing to try would be to just rub the affected area. Use your finger, a stiff brush, a cue tip or something similar. You can try dampening it also. Surprisingly it might come right off. (I think one is easily led to think it's permanent... because superglue is rather permanent in its nature. It's not the case though, at least not always as some attest this works for them).

Ventilate. Apparently the residue is caused by lingering glue fumes that can't escape. Use a fan or a window if able to, or blow gently while it dries if you can be arsed. There is a natural trap in the cramped space between shield and arm here which may be part of the reason the residue appears in this case.

Don't use excessive amounts of glue. The more glue you use, the more evaporating fumes, the more potential residue. Superglue doesn't primarily work by using it in abundance anyways, it works in small amounts when you have a good contact area. Consider if you are using it in excess.

Watch out for humidity. I am not 100% sure on this one, but similar frosting can appear in spray varnishing and it can also mess with spray priming, leading to spattery spray patterns. Oftentimes this is blamed on excessive air humidity as the water particles bond with the sprayed medium in the air. I think the jury is out on whether this would be the same as interfering with drying superglue, but maybe it does. If you know you are gluing stuff under abnormally humid conditions perhaps this is worth considering.

You could try switching your glue up. Some say they have never had any problems with certain glues, although common sense would also say that maybe it was never about the glue in those instances. Rather that they didn't use it in excess, ventilation was sufficient and air humidity wasn't a problem. Still, glue formulas may vary in some ways, perhaps some evaporate in different rates etc. I use cheapo superglue from hardware stores so I could easily try another for a dollar/pound. I have heard great things about gorilla glue (strong bonds!) so you may prefer sticking with that. Luckily there seems to be other fixes to the problem.

Apply heat. I read about a guy recommending putting them in the oven, I saw another guy use a heat gun successfully in a video. Obviously take care you don't melt your models and consider safety, but it does seems heat is a possible solution. The advantage to using heat would be that it could be used in cases where the area is hard to physically reach, such as behind a shield.

----------------------

Now most of this is hearsay and/or my own foggy recollections so I did a little scientific experiment as I was a little curious of this phenomenon myself.

I took parts of plastic sprue and glued them together using my cheap no-name polish glue from the budget home improvement store that comes in bottles of around 60p each.

The first attempt caused no frosting residue at all, leading me to think that my conditions were fine for avoiding the frosting effect, but that it might still be possible to generate it. Using the same glue, the same plastic sprue, the same air humidity (meaning I didn't swap time or location), I tried to inhibit ventilation as much as possible.

I did this by gluing two parts of sprue together into a tighter angle to mimic a shield/arm case. I also let my glue cure under a small plastic cap I had lying around, similar to a soda bottle cap in size. In addition to that I applied the glue quite liberally, more than I reasonably needed for the area. Hey presto, voila, sim sa la bim etc etc, this time it generated a small amount of frosting. I pried the sprue bits apart, gave it a gentle wipe of my dry thumb and all of it came right off in a single swipe.

So my test doesn't say anything about how different glues fare, neither does it say much about air humidity. It does indicate that ventilation certainly seems to have an impact, and that indeed at least in some cases the residue wipes right off. Hope yours does too as it sounds a lot better than repainting!

Hope that was of some help.

Gallivantes

And I forgot to say the force is looking really sweet! Nice touches, like the handrail-grabbing, footrest-riding marine on the Rhino... that is some gung-ho action.

JonAtron

Termi Chaplain done. Now I know he's more second edition than RT buuut when playing games I need this fearless chap for his dices buffs with the Hammernators. He can deep strike in with them.

Learning from past mistakes and taking a little advice, I used a little less glue and kept a blast of airbrush air on it for a minute and no frosting!

One thing I've noticed about taking pics of your work. You finish painting, sit back and with your mark 1 eye ball, look it over with a pleased smile. Perfect. Then you take a picture and see ALL and EVERY mistake, missed part and ugly bit. :cry: On the plus side though I guess you see the errors to correct and learn from them.

Moving on, I've got a few Librarians but I settled on this one as I like the style and his faith in that there scroll.

WOW, those terminators look fantastic! Great work all round, can't wait to see the force expand further.

Not sure I have seen those old terminators in crimson fists colours before. They look great.

JonAtron

Firstly, thank you for your comments and chat :)

Secondly, the librarian is almost done. As usual, just a few touch ups and a matt varnish to do.

JonAtron

Not so sure about the Librarian above, the sword, I know what I want it to look like, smelting metal but it looks, eh. :? I'll come back to it at some point.

So, a tech marine is needed to fix up the old relic Land Raider and sooth its machine spirit. I really love this model, its got life to it, reality of the trade. The RT techie only has a standard backpack though. Oddly enough when I got a few odds and ends bits off ebay this servo arm was amongst them. It was meant to be, Mars has spoken. So a little modification away from the standard template construct plan and so far... (Does look just a little bit too large for the backpack but I cant waste a good servo arm.)

Shite, I've just realised, there is no reference to his chapter :o . Hmm... Have to work something out on that one.

Suber

Everything in this thread is absolutely gorgeous, from the beginning to the end.

JonAtron

Not had much time of late, just tinkering here and there. The arms were too weak for practical play/use of the chaplain so I had to pin them properly and while I was at it, I magnatised a banner for him as the original one is missing. (Also a pain in the arse to transport glued in and tall as it was.) I also gave him a Crimson Fists red fist as is proper and right.

I've also been playing with a basing idea I saw on youtube As with all things it never worked as easy as shown but I finally got it how I like it. I have already been using it, but the trouble is if you put the over paint on too thick for intensity and colour it obviously obscures the zenithal highlighting which is not wanted. Too light and it looks dull with the undercoat coming through too stark. The photos don't do it justice but in the flesh its got a real 3d depth to it that moves as you move/look around the model. Proper happy.

Tech marines done. I decided not to mess about with trying to get some of the chapter blue and icon on him. Back pack turned out alright although the arm IS a little oversized. I'm pleased the random servo arm didn't get wasted in the odds and sods box though.

I've also got some transfers and microsol and started those on the models already done. Pics for another day.

JonAtron

Tarantula painted and done. Always loved these from the Space Crusade set. Probably never use it in game buuuuuut...

I saw this idea on a tank for sale on ebay. A little magnet stuck inside and boom, Razor back if I need one.

Weapon options to make a Land Raider Prometheus. Quad heavy bolter per side to deal with them hordes and meat shields!

Looking at the tanks now, I wish I had been a bit braver with the highlighting instead of a simple low contrast zenithal overlight.The blue looks a bit, I don't flat? Hmmm...

Back