(Old)hammer time

Super original thread title, ho!

Just signed up. Watching old bits of lead on eBay. Trawling my collection for completed classics to share with you in the meantime.

I've been in the hobby since I was 7 or 8 in the mid 90s. A lot of the minis here are older than me... but I still consider myself a veteran as I've played more or less every game GW have released since 1995. Gorkamorka, Necromunda, Mordheim, Inquisitor, WHFB and 40k (ofc). I've dabbled in Heroquest, Warhammer Quest, Dark Heresy, D&D, BFG and many I've forgotten. I've been toying with the idea of Regiments of Renown recently and using classic minis for it.

I tend to do commission painting these days and am working on an Albion themed/ inspired WoC army for 8th as well as a Deathwing army for 40k. I've been working on a genestealer cult for necromunda/ dark heresy and largely just want to paint interesting miniatures.

I've always loved Orcs and Goblins but never owned any so a couple of recent commissions have been very exciting. I've got some classic WoC to paint for a client, some RT marines for myself, an old citadel werewolf and frankly just want to paint some more nostalgic pieces over the super cereal grimdarkness of my main forces and GWs current marketing.

Doom Diver:

Rogue Trader Eldar:

76D270C7-6430-4A18-A8E4-F3FB95FE4C16-6119-00000664F5E2078E.jpg

Jetbike Archon:

Part of my Mordheim warband

DSC01044.jpg

and... not strictly old hammer. As its really new... but a Genestealer magus conversion:

Much more to come.

A.

p.s. Non GW, not old (but old in spirit) Fimir:

DSC02273.jpg

Fimm McCool

Tasty lookin' stuff! I particularly like the Fimir (well, I would say that wouldn't I?), not been a fan of the Blood Moon minis before, too crocodilian, but yours are very sinister from that angle! Nice work.

Thanks guys! I was initially tempted to run FImir as my WoC (à la Mr. Saturday) but went for a Mordheim warband instead. The FW release kinda killed it for me though, horrible minis IMO. I'll get the rest of the Blood Moon ones painted up ASAP. In the meantime I'm very excited by your Fimir mr Fimm McCool... I shall find some money for some!

Chico

I'm also running my Fimir as WoC, Mr Sat sure has a lot to answer for hehe. I've yet to get any BM Bog Raiders I'm not sure how they would scale up next to the Finna Fimm or Warriors.

Actually back in the day Mr Saturday and I started our Fimir on warseer at the same time :razz: ... But he was prolific and gifted. I was lazy and distracted.

As to blood moon scale they are about the same size as his savage orc based ones I think. Maybe a bit slighter. V well cast, quick shipping and reasonably priced too IIRC.

Nice models! What did you use for the Genestealer Magus head? I'd thought about trying the plastic Ghoul kit for one. Your conversion works well.

It's just the head from the chaos magos kit. Cut down and resculpted. Here's a WIP to show.

39af0602452ef6842696915e6481d2a9.jpg

And I got an eBay itch after signing up. So these boys are on their way:

7350bb2cbf6c04cb00a4d3d6595776e9.jpg

8af558663ba8016b9d98f77a873cb238.jpg

62b3faddb04470c25fc48e31b783da9e.jpg

I'm going to do a small orcs and goblins and ogres group. Maybe for RoR or mordheim. Mostly for painting. Love the old orcs and Gobbos.

A.

Thanks chaps. My 1987 orcs showed up from eBay already :) However I've had a big ToS commission to finish so painting may be postponed until next week.

The Magus was pretty straightforward:

Based on a WHFB plastic chaos sorcerer. shaved off the horns with a scalpel. Rolled a thin sausage of GS onto the centre of the forehead. Pressed lines into it with the scalpel.
Armour is just the original armour but with the spikes cut off and plates filed flat and then more sausages of GS applied to edges and carefully pushed into shape with a shaper. lots of patience and redoing bitz later and the green was done, I would usually use guitar wire for cables etc but didn't have any so I just carefully pushed the knife into the appropriate sections.

The skull on the carapace is cut off a space marine torso with the scalpel... the hood is built around the jagged hood from the original model and filed flat on the edges. Just lots of filing and polishing.

Don't be afraid to add too much GS then cut it away again for sharp edges.

The autopistol is just taken from a Dark Vengeance cultist. Easy.

A.

p.s. can't resist showing you the commission DP I just finished... its modern and plastic but inspired by old mohawk and chaos worshipping orcs:

Back