Golgfag1's preparations for BOYL2018?

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Re: Golgfag1's preparations for BOYL2018?

Sorry couldn't help myself - Next step a few tweaks and it should just about be there 8-)
spawnc.JPG
spawnc.JPG (81.95 KiB) Viewed 978 times

spawn3b.JPG
spawn3b.JPG (77.07 KiB) Viewed 978 times

spawn2b.JPG
spawn2b.JPG (79.37 KiB) Viewed 978 times

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Well, I've final kicked my painting mojo back into gear this year, and to achieve a quick result I went for something small and insignificant but has needed to be done for a long time - Citadel, first edition C14 Lesser Night Goblins to be precise. I thought I had a more varied collection, but having gone though the unpainted stuff, found that I've only two poses to join my growing horde (no doubt the rest are in a box somewhere in the attic but if I'd started to look - I'd have become distracted) so, settled down to make the best of what I have. Hope you like what I've done with the little fellas, for a hundred and fifty to an hundred and eighty points of third edition. 8-)

Now, I know what your asking yourself dear reader - why is Golgfag1 (he with more Orcs than Sauron) wasting his time with lesser goblins - their nothing but a foot note in the army lists with only the merest hint of their talents and abilities, to be used as door stops whilst the big boy'z are giving the opposition a good kick-in. Well dear reader, take a look at BOB (Big Orange Book, Warhammer third Ed.) and there you get an insight into their true potential - they can have poisoned weapons for an extra 5 points, have 3x Short-bow missile attacks per base at no extra cost, are immune to poison, can also skirmish and everybody else ignores them, if, they run away - what's not to like?

It's, also the case - that I hold with the idea, that if, you get the good stuff - you should by rights should carry a little bit of dross to balance it out - just as Fredrick the Great did with his Frei-corps (A hint of one of my other wargaming passions, for those of your that think I only do Oldhammer) - look at most rule sets covering the Lace Wars, and you'll find that most Prussian infantry contingents are made up of Grenadier, Musketeers & Fusiliers with only a briefest of nods given to what was a fascinating part of the forces at Fredrick's disposal, but I digress.

I now have close to the maximum of forty bases of these insignificant trip hazards and with the Pump wagons I consider they'd be pretty good entertainment for a thousand point game - think about it? (if, you want to see more pictures of these little fellas check out my blog below)

Next up - some Black Mountain Boy'z who'll come out of the tank later this afternoon, and should be ready for painting next weekend.

All the best

Paul/ Golgfag1

Paul/ Golgfag1
Attachments
122_2366.JPG
122_2366.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 878 times

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:35 pm

They look nice - and it's never a waste of time to paint greenskin :D

Actually, I'm not sure if I have ever seen these painted before. Maybe I have only seen them on eBay. And I am not sure exactly how small they are. So I was wondering if you could post a picture of a base full of Lesser Night Goblins with some other models next to it for scale reference?

I am myself considering buying some of the "regular" Lesser Goblins (the ones that are not Night Goblins), since I like their Gremlin-like look ;)

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Sorry never really considered them to be that much of rarity to deserve comparison with their contemporary's, any way here you go against a 1st edition Black Mountain Boy and a few more modern Snotlings. I think their fairly even match with the figures shown, but against more modern figures they would be quite cut a diminutive jib, as it were. :lol: :lol: :lol: But as most of my stuff is from their era I'm not bothered. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Comparison 2.jpg
Comparison 2.jpg (661.96 KiB) Viewed 832 times

Comparison 3.jpg
Comparison 3.jpg (885.18 KiB) Viewed 832 times

Paul/Golgfag1

Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Well, title pretty much says it all this week, with the UK caught in winters icy grip joined by the remains of hurricane Emma, my conservatory was not the place to be applying paint of any type, until today, that is. So, I put the Black Mountain Boyz to one side and I pulled out a little bit of nostalgia which I think I picked up at BOYL a couple of years ago :- A Citadel import from - Ral Partha White Dragon ES72/01-072 AKA Cold Drake ( http://www.collecting-citadel-miniature ... 29_Dragons ), and applied a splattering of colour which I hope you'll appreciate.

I've made a short picture video of the stages of painting (lots of dry-brushed green and daubs of colour which you can see on my blog - Please, forgive the first few pictures in the sequence I bumbled to settings and until I noticed and re-set the camera, by which time it was too late, to take a step back.

I'm also still playing with the stills video, but this time without the music

Enjoy
122_2396.JPG
122_2396.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 786 times

Paul/Golgfag1

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Well, needless to ask I didn't get the Black Mountain Boyz out of the bath. So, I took a few 'C' series out of the 'to do' box and daubed a small amount of paint on them last weeks whilst waiting for the paint on the dragon to dry. Unfortunately, didn't get them to the stage of applying a ink wash or painting any detail (eyes & teeth); until till today, (as I've not been getting home until after dark) to get these final touches done - so here's a few pictures of the arra boyz with their wash (I always consider orcs & goblins should be covered in a proverbial layer of grot, it, also covers up a multitude of sins regarding my painting and gives a degree of depth to the figures) and then with the details touched in.
122_2397.JPG
122_2397.JPG (791.51 KiB) Viewed 744 times

122_2403.JPG
122_2403.JPG (859.24 KiB) Viewed 744 times

122_2406.JPG
122_2406.JPG (848.83 KiB) Viewed 744 times

These will take my painted Arra Boy'z up into fifties, so, I can now start to consider deploying two units, rather than one large block - all adds to the variations, of what, I'm able to field 8-) . As ever, the close-ups just show how bad my painting has deteriorated and how badly I need to have my eyes tested!

Enjoy

Paul/Golgfag1

Hopefully, I'll get the Black Mountain Boyz out of the soup later today

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Well, needless to say the plans of this man yet again went astray, but one spot of good news the Black Mountain boyz and a couple of mates made it out out their bath, so are now all clean, shiny and have a fresh black undercoat, ready to receive a daubing of paint at some point in the future, hooray.
122_2409.JPG
122_2409.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 708 times

So while they we're drying and receiving all the TLC they deserve, I fell back on to a project which fell into the long grass some time ago, my Grenadier Goblin War Giant.
I started this sometime ago, when ZeroTwentyThree kicked off his paint a giant challenge, and I got as far as a half finished giant.
122_2411.JPG
122_2411.JPG (814.12 KiB) Viewed 708 times

So, my plan is to finish the crew & giant this weekend.
122_2410.JPG
122_2410.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 708 times

and hopefully end up with something like this if not a little better.
http://www.sodemons.com/rhgiants2/stran ... /index.htm
Hope to see you on the otherside

Paul/Golgfag1

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 am

What a varied selection of projects, wish I had as much time on my hands.

Loving the Harboth's originals, best Harboth's model they did that one.

Re: BOYL, if you're bringing the greenies and I get there early enough on the Friday I'll give you a warm up game of 3rd if you like

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:18 am

Not so much as having time, but making time - continuous, small bursts of activity with large bouts of domestic bliss in between (shopping, gardening, DIY & the like), usually at weekends. :D

Well up for a game of third or any other Ed. of Warhammer as I'm planning to bring at least a thousand points of small green-uns to give the other Paul a game on Sunday afternoon :D

See you there

Paul/Golgfag1

Snickit wrote:What a varied selection of projects, wish I had as much time on my hands.

Loving the Harboth's originals, best Harboth's model they did that one.

Re: BOYL, if you're bringing the greenies and I get there early enough on the Friday I'll give you a warm up game of 3rd if you like

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:48 am

Please find below my current progress with my Amazonian Giantess for ZeroTwentyTree's Big April Challenge not quite there yet , but I'm happy with how it's coming to a conclusion, muscle tones now a bit too harsh, but It'll fit in with my previous stuff.

Paul/Golgfag1

Giantess 3.jpg
Giantess 3.jpg (351.38 KiB) Viewed 540 times

PreviousNext

Return to WIP