Dark Elves by Subedai

WARHAMSTER

Really like the shields - are you going to only use round ones or some of the cool spikey/diamond shape dark elf ones?

ardyer

Gorim":3e7u4vye said:
Nice dark elves. I still can't decide which colour to chose for skin:/ Blue seems most interesting, but least "fluff friendly" / common sense...

I had the same problem with mine. Initially I had wanted to carry the skin ala the marauder dark elves, but I ended up going with blue.

Subedai

Gorim":pnhk2ge9 said:
Nice dark elves. I still can't decide which colour to chose for skin:/ Blue seems most interesting, but least "fluff friendly" / common sense...
I didn't want to go for outright blue, so I picked the pale grey with sepia to still give it an organic feel. Without that, I think it would have ended up to undead or alien looking. I wanted to set the Dark Elves apart from non-evil Elves which I'm painting in a normal light skin tone.

Subedai

WARHAMSTER":3luskc32 said:
Really like the shields - are you going to only use round ones or some of the cool spikey/diamond shape dark elf ones?
I think I'll stick with round shields only for this unit to have a large canvas for the decorations. I have plenty of them and a limited supply of the spiky shields (need to start doing the cloning thing) which I will use for special units, like my cavalry.

BangDoll

Hi, i love your Dark Elves the scheme color is really nice and the skin tones too, can't wait to see the others :) !

Subedai

Dark Elf Monster Hunter.

I painted the first of my crossbowmen, using a plastic model to start with. I'll have about 2/3 plastic to metal ratio in the 20 I am aiming to build up.

I also picked up a couple of dinosaurs in the Museum of Queensland shop.

Attachments

• dark_elf_crossbow_01.jpg
    dark_elf_crossbow_01.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,310

Subedai

BangDoll":uwcwmaqy said:
Hi, i love your Dark Elves the scheme color is really nice and the skin tones too, can't wait to see the others :) !
Thanks, I am making progress, albeit slowly. I'm really looking forward to having a Dark Elf contingent, so I'll keep at it.

Subedai

I've finished two metal Dark Elf crossbowmen, to see how they mix with the plastic version. While I am happy with the colour scheme tying them together, due to the plastics being considerably chunkier I'll probably try and reduce their ratio in the unit I am building up.

Attachments

• dark_elf_crossbows_01.jpg
    dark_elf_crossbows_01.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 2,291

Subedai

Good point. I am only working on my Citadel Dark Elves at the moment but once I am reunited with my collection I'll see what Marauder units I can put together, some extra crossbowmen will not go amiss.

I'm really loving this project; I love the warm to cool skin tones and the chain mail/armour is highlighted just right. The freehand shields look great as well.
Now let's see some cold ones!

Subedai

24_Cigarettes":8izgg455 said:
I'm really loving this project; I love the warm to cool skin tones and the chain mail/armour is highlighted just right. The freehand shields look great as well.
Now let's see some cold ones!
Thanks! My cold ones are far away at the moment, I only have an expeditionary force to work on until the end of the year. I did do one cold one as a test, pretty traditional green with sand coloured underbelly and extremities. Since I didn't finish saddle and rider, there are no photos of it around.

Subedai

I finished a leader type, he'll be in charge of my crossbowmen.

Attachments

• dark_elf_leader.jpg
    dark_elf_leader.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,055

Rob_S

Moore!

I am sure I am not alone in loving this project. The palette you have going on this lot is perfect.

I am about to embark on a similar dark elf project myself, the paint job and colour pallet is brilliant, such a good looking army. bravo!

Naagruz

Excellent work!
Although I'm a lover of the smurf-flavored dark elfs, your painting makes a strong argument for going with light skin tones. I'm looking forward to the Cold Ones. ;)

Any monstrous beasts in the queue?

Suber

I don't know how did I miss this thread, but I must say it is really wonderful. I love the combination of colours and the way you are solving this. Well done!

Subedai

Rob_S":1qy2mrgi said:
Moore!

I am sure I am not alone in loving this project. The palette you have going on this lot is perfect.
Thank you! I generally like a strong colour theme for an army, and I found the Dark Elves to be ideal candidates to pull that look off. Also a good project to work on away from home with only a handful of paints in the suitcase.

A few additional elements will come in with the cold ones, and I am thinking of using red for Witch Elves, maybe replacing the purple. On character models I might also allow myself the odd addition to the colour range to set them apart.

Subedai

Corehammer73":1kzpbt5j said:
I am about to embark on a similar dark elf project myself, the paint job and colour pallet is brilliant, such a good looking army. bravo!
Cheers, looking forward to your army! Mine is more of a war band at the moment, but it is good to see two ranks lined up at least, keeps me motivated.

Subedai

Naagruz":23cbj3zy said:
Excellent work!
Although I'm a lover of the smurf-flavored dark elfs, your painting makes a strong argument for going with light skin tones. I'm looking forward to the Cold Ones. ;)

Any monstrous beasts in the queue?
Glad you like the choice of skin colour, I'm going more Elric with them. There are no beasts lined up as yet, but I should have a dragon somewhere that I might turn into a black dragon. Normally I don't strip miniatures before repainting, but this one is covered in several layers of enamels and varnish if I remember, so it's going to be a pain.

In the meantime, I just bought some Halloween plastic spiders for a quid, they'll make for a great monstrous host!

Back