Dark Elves by Subedai

Subedai

Suber":1yentyv0 said:
I don't know how did I miss this thread, but I must say it is really wonderful. I love the combination of colours and the way you are solving this. Well done!
Thanks, glad you like the style. The more figures I am adding, the more I can see it all coming together as planned/hoped. The division of colours across the details is working so far. I was tempted to go for something different with the gem stones on the leader's helmet, but I am glad I stuck with green. I have painted all cloaks just in black so far, in order not to overdo it with the purple. If I designate any models as shades or assassins, I might skip the purple to set them apart.

Subedai

Chico":1dw17m33 said:
Subedai when your back we should get a DE Vs DE game in :)
Civil war in Naggaroth, definitely! I might need to bring some greenskin slaves to make up the numbers though. What's your troop count at the moment?

Chico

Subedai":3o327ce4 said:
Chico":3o327ce4 said:
Subedai when your back we should get a DE Vs DE game in :)
Civil war in Naggaroth, definitely! I might need to bring some greenskin slaves to make up the numbers though. What's your troop count at the moment?

2k fully painted with another 1k sitting unloved and needing painting/stripping. Plus another 1k Chaos allies almost painted, with anothe 1k unpainted.

Subedai

Chico":2dvbutma said:
2k fully painted with another 1k sitting unloved and needing painting/stripping. Plus another 1k Chaos allies almost painted, with anothe 1k unpainted.
I will need to find that dragon.

Goblinlee

I love what you have done with your Dark Elves. :)

The skin tones are just right. The purple is a great choice and you have given it a good balance of brightness and depth.The addition of the green as a complementary colour works very well.
The shields are excellent, the detailing on them fits them very nicely.

The whole effect is to make them feel dark and cold hearted, but still sophisticated and Elven.
It has made me want to re-vist my Dark Elven army with an eye to improving it. :)

Subedai

Dooz":32lk6k6c said:
Lovely elves. Good blend between dark and bright colors
Thanks! These Dark Elves have the right amount of uniformity while at the same time not getting boring by being overly streamlined like today's units/armies, so I found it works quite well to pick out equal amounts of detail in the different colours and achieve an overall balance of dark and bright without it looking too repetitive.

Goblinlee":32lk6k6c said:
The whole effect is to make them feel dark and cold hearted, but still sophisticated and Elven.
It has made me want to re-vist my Dark Elven army with an eye to improving it. :)
Great to hear, that is what I am aiming for! I wish I could field your Dark Elf army, I see we have taken a very similar approach to colour schemes! The snakemen allies are a great fit too, getting me inspired for allied contingents already while my force hasn't even reached contingent strength itself...

Goblinlee

You're right Subedai, we both have gone for dark but simple paint schemes, with a small amount of colour. :)

I think you have made a much better job of your Dark Elves than myself. The whole feel of your force is dark and evil, but not dull and still with some colour. I think the bases wrok very well to help achieve this.

I still have a bag full of Dark Elves I never included in the army. After seeing your Dark Elves I am thinking of returning to my army at some point now to tinker with paint scheme and expand the force so it can match Justin's Wood Elves ( the army I fought in the battle report on my blog).

I might also borrow your idea on the shields painting the thorns, but will substitute your idea of symbols and use some Dark Elf runes instead. When painting the army I wanted to avoid purple in my army and so work with blue instead.

Yes, the Snakemen are great. They won't have any tinkering of the paint scheme. I can recommend picking some up off of e-bay, I always thuoght they suited the Dark Elf army. I am sure your army will grow, and if you need to fill out on the points the DarK Elves have some good ALiies and Mercenaires to choose from, and there are always hosts. A couple of Dark Elf models painted up as Spectres would look great. :)

Subedai

Goblinlee":1kn3e69y said:
I still have a bag full of Dark Elves I never included in the army. After seeing your Dark Elves I am thinking of returning to my army at some point now to tinker with paint scheme and expand the force so it can match Justin's Wood Elves ( the army I fought in the battle report on my blog).
My progress came to a stop for a couple of weeks but last weekend I finally managed to finish another warrior and started two more, attempting to finish two ranks of four by the end of the week.

Have you started on your bag of Dark Elves yet? Would like to see your take on shield designs.

Attachments

• dark_elf_warrior.jpg
    dark_elf_warrior.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,296

Goblinlee

Another excellent Dark Elf, I like the shield, again with the subtle green on it. I'll look forward to the forthcoming Dark Elves you're working on.

I have'nt made any progress on my Dark Elves as I have been concentrating on other things at the moment. The idea of re-visting the Dark Elves was to increase the army to 5,000/6,000 points to face my friend Justin's Wood Elves. However, I might use the Slann when we game again and paint up some Cold One Riders or more Spawn Bands instead. :)

Protist

I really like the contrast the white shield design has from the rest of the model, and the hint of green at the edges is a touch of class! Is the symbol a Subedai original or is it pinched from somewhere? I've spent ages trying to find ideas for my dark elf shields/banners.

How big is the force so far? Would be great to see how the units are grouping together, even if it's still on a warband scale at the moment

Subedai

Protist":1q4rq0zr said:
I really like the contrast the white shield design has from the rest of the model, and the hint of green at the edges is a touch of class! Is the symbol a Subedai original or is it pinched from somewhere? I've spent ages trying to find ideas for my dark elf shields/banners.

How big is the force so far? Would be great to see how the units are grouping together, even if it's still on a warband scale at the moment
Thanks! I am not entirely convinced myself by the symbol, but since there will be another 16 to go in that regiment I decided to move on. All the shield designs are and will be by me, for better or worse. The green edges I like better, glad you appreciated them as well.

I've got a grand total of 11 models finished so far - once I have filled the second rank of warriors, I will take a group shot.

Subedai

Goblinlee":3ak0h010 said:
I have'nt made any progress on my Dark Elves as I have been concentrating on other things at the moment. The idea of re-visting the Dark Elves was to increase the army to 5,000/6,000 points to face my friend Justin's Wood Elves. However, I might use the Slann when we game again and paint up some Cold One Riders or more Spawn Bands instead. :)
Ah, shame, I was hoping for some inspiration/peer pressure to get a move on with my humble warband. Your Slann cohorts are mind boggling as well, I just don't want to catch the collecting bug for those.

Subedai

Second rank of warriors done, a weekend later than I had planned. Rather than finishing the 10 crossbowmen I think I'll add another rank of warriors next, so they are starting to look like a proper regiment.

Attachments

• dark-elf-warband.jpg
    dark-elf-warband.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2,258
  • dark-elf-warriors.jpg
    dark-elf-warriors.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,258

fanskaven

New here and you are my first wip look. I am actually gathering a dark elf force sale period and love your style and colour scheme, specially the skin color. This has been a heavy inspiration for me. Cheers from spain.

Subedai

fanskaven":14m5oahl said:
New here and you are my first wip look. I am actually gathering a dark elf force sale period and love your style and colour scheme, specially the skin color. This has been a heavy inspiration for me. Cheers from spain.
Thanks, and welcome! I get tons of motivation and inspiration from browsing this forum, so I am glad to give something back! Looking forward to seeing your projects in turns.

Subedai

Golgfag1":2jevb6sj said:
Looking good, looking good. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Just wish I could move mine on so easily! :(

Paul // Golgfag1
Cheers! It is doing me good that I only have Dark Elves to work on at the moment, so progress is slow, but at least observable with the naked eye. Over Xmas I shall be starting X number of new projects and finishing nothing, looking forward to some binging.

Back