Dark Elves by Subedai

Golgfag1

Yes, my problem is trying to do too many things at once, oldhammer - on going development of Green skins, Chaos, Dark Elves, empire & Slann / Lizardmen and then we have the projects - a ship & crew for BOYL 2015 to name but one and my new want a Wood Elf army from Thunderbolt Mountain! Oh, almost forgot the 40K stuff - marines & eldar.
Then we have the on going painting of Ancients - Gallic/Gauls, Assyrians, Persians, Feudal English, Romans all in 25mm and as for WWII don't get me started. All boils down to how do you eat an elephant one bite at a time - keep up the good work. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Paul / Golgfag1

Subedai

I've added some more of Mengil Manhide's warriors to my regiment. This must be the most produced Dark Elf model of its time, and the casting quality shows that the mould was past its use by date. I did some filing and outright cutting and in hindsight should have been even more aggressive, but I have to let it go now and hide the individual irregularities by force of numbers.

wfb3-oldhammer-dark-elves-01.jpg

wfb3-oldhammer-dark-elves-02.jpg

Sweet! Very nice work as usual. Your DE's colour scheme is one of my favorites on the internet. I think that DE's should be predominantly painted black, it adds to the menace. Fantastic looking shields also!

I find the lack of dessicated nipples disturbing.

Actually, I find the lack of nipples in any model disturbing.

Um.. am I gonna get kicked from the forum now???

Bluey Zarzov":p0aeizsx said:

Actually, I find the lack of nipples in any model disturbing.

Um.. am I gonna get kicked from the forum now???

Then how could we punish you properly, you deviant!

Subedai

Bluey Zarzov":18dk51pn said:
I presumed they'd been cut off to play Tiddlywinks with around the campfire. On closer inspection, most nipples do still seem to be present though, I'll just need to colour them in more prominently.

Subedai

theottovonbismark":1wz9zfzz said:
Sweet! Very nice work as usual. Your DE's colour scheme is one of my favorites on the internet. I think that DE's should be predominantly painted black, it adds to the menace. Fantastic looking shields also!
Thanks! There was never a question that I wanted them mostly in black. From the distance across the battlefield they looked too dark, so I started offsetting that by adding pure white on the shields.

Subedai

I finished a detachment of crossbowmen and painted my first Doomdrake (after equipping her with a lance to replace a rather un-cavalry-like short sword).

King Arthur

Fab stuff!

The whole army is coming together nicely!

Great idea to swap the sword out, she looks very menacing now! Nice work on the 'Lizard' - the green is very reptilian and rich and the fade into the lower legs is sublime, top stuff sir!

Cheers

Gary

Lovely, they are really coming together now. En masse it is very pleasing that I can make out the details of the models so well thanks to the black and bright high contrast colours you used. I think you have done the models great justice. The cold one came out well, I know from experience that these are trick models to get right!

Subedai

Thanks for the comments!

snyggejygge":38si0m6v said:
Really great Dark Elves, what colour do you use for that skintone?
The base colour is Citadel Celestial Grey, with Seraphim Sepia and Nuln Oil shading and some white highlights on nose, cheekbones etc.

Subedai

No progress on the Dark Elves in 2016, but since I am starting 2017 off with finishing some war machines, here's my Dark Elf Repeater Bolt Thrower.

Willmark

I was wondering if you posted here!

Great stuff and, uh sorry for "borrowing" your idea of a great paint scheme. I started to redo my own 3rd edition dark elf force and needed ideas and found your blog. Posting about it here so thanks again for the inspiration for great looking minis and paint jobs.

Mark

Subedai

I'm chuffed that I've provided some inspiration for your Dark Elf revival, hadn't noticed the mention. I saw your war altar conversion and already decided to borrow that idea myself!

Willmark

Feel free dude.

I better get cracking on painting my altar before you surpass it!

All kidding aside your crossbowmen and warriors are great, shame about the standard bearer for your warrior unit.

Subedai

Thanks, @Willmark. I have a complete standard bearer now that I'll eventually paint. In the meantime I might have found a replacement banner top as well though and am doing a little conversion job.

Finished my second unit of crossbowmen this weekend, so my ranged contingent is complete for now.

Subedai

As a replacement banner top for my regiment of warriors I wanted to use something that would tie it in with the horn blower, whose instrument ends in the shape of a dragon/wyvern/possibly jabberwock. More by coincidence I came across a familiar that fit the bill. Added two plastic skeleton arms, and now it is perched on the standard.

Attachments

• IMG_9153.JPG
    IMG_9153.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 3,070
Back