Dark Elves by Subedai

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Dark Elves by Subedai

Not quite a work in progress yet, more like a colour test on the first of my Dark Elves for an allied contingent size force. For when I don't feel like painting any of the stuff that is in progress already.
wfb3_dark_elves_01.jpg
wfb3_dark_elves_01.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 2620 times

wfb3_dark_elves_02.jpg
wfb3_dark_elves_02.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
My Oldhammer blog: The Lost and the Damned

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: Dark Elves by Subedai

I like it! I like the extra time (or at least detail) you put into your shields too. The older figures don't have the sharpness of newer sculpts and the detailed shields gives the impression of more going on than there really is, detail-wise. Awesome work.

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Cheers! It doesn't really take long to do shields to that standard I found, as you can see I don't go for shading and anything fancy. Also the skin cloak I just left at this stage, when initially painting over the black was only meant to be one of several steps. I like the look though, sort of expressionist, and if I want this force to ever get painted, time savings are very welcome.

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:35 pm

Heh more painting goodness, you make me jealous.. oh well i just have to make dew with giving you a good thrashing ;)

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 pm

OK, just one more, then it's back to those Orcs.
wfb3_dark_elves_02.jpg
wfb3_dark_elves_02.jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 2595 times

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Love that colour combo, especially the skin tones. Reminds me of the original cover of the Brian Craig novel Storm Warriors. The old models have a much cooler feel to them compared to contemporary "product". Now that I look at them again they seem to be based on dark age sea-raiders to my mind. Will be looking forward to seeing the full Mengril's unit at a later time perhaps.

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Lovin' those shields.:D

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:34 pm

illuminatus wrote:Very nice but I would go with a different colour for the shading of the flesh - maybe the base colour mixed with dark green (or purple for a more harmonious feel).

I guess it all comes down to a matter of taste. I actually really like the skin tone with the cold/warm contrast of the blue/sepia. I love the slightly surreal look of this. Your proposition though seems very interesting too especially if you consider teh limited palette Subedai has used (really like this black leather and dark purple).

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Very nice figures. That purple really glows - brings the whole colour scheme to life. Looking forward to seeing more!

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:44 am

Nicely done. I was never a huge fan of the Dark Elves, or Elves in general, but I now own about 3-4 of these old Dark Elves, and I am keen to get them painted. Thank you for sharing yours, which are quite lovely by the way. I am a fan of your skin colour choice.
Next

Return to WIP