Dark Elves by Subedai

Subedai

Not quite a work in progress yet, more like a colour test on the first of my Dark Elves for an allied contingent size force. For when I don't feel like painting any of the stuff that is in progress already.

Attachments

• wfb3_dark_elves_01.jpg
    wfb3_dark_elves_01.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 5,110
  • wfb3_dark_elves_02.jpg
    wfb3_dark_elves_02.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 5,110
I like it! I like the extra time (or at least detail) you put into your shields too. The older figures don't have the sharpness of newer sculpts and the detailed shields gives the impression of more going on than there really is, detail-wise. Awesome work.

Subedai

Cheers! It doesn't really take long to do shields to that standard I found, as you can see I don't go for shading and anything fancy. Also the skin cloak I just left at this stage, when initially painting over the black was only meant to be one of several steps. I like the look though, sort of expressionist, and if I want this force to ever get painted, time savings are very welcome.

Chico

Heh more painting goodness, you make me jealous.. oh well i just have to make dew with giving you a good thrashing ;)

Subedai

OK, just one more, then it's back to those Orcs.

Attachments

• wfb3_dark_elves_02.jpg
    wfb3_dark_elves_02.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 5,085
Love that colour combo, especially the skin tones. Reminds me of the original cover of the Brian Craig novel Storm Warriors. The old models have a much cooler feel to them compared to contemporary "product". Now that I look at them again they seem to be based on dark age sea-raiders to my mind. Will be looking forward to seeing the full Mengril's unit at a later time perhaps.

Asslessman

illuminatus":2a34rv1o said:
Very nice but I would go with a different colour for the shading of the flesh - maybe the base colour mixed with dark green (or purple for a more harmonious feel).

I guess it all comes down to a matter of taste. I actually really like the skin tone with the cold/warm contrast of the blue/sepia. I love the slightly surreal look of this. Your proposition though seems very interesting too especially if you consider teh limited palette Subedai has used (really like this black leather and dark purple).

axiom

Very nice figures. That purple really glows - brings the whole colour scheme to life. Looking forward to seeing more!

G.2

Nicely done. I was never a huge fan of the Dark Elves, or Elves in general, but I now own about 3-4 of these old Dark Elves, and I am keen to get them painted. Thank you for sharing yours, which are quite lovely by the way. I am a fan of your skin colour choice.

Subedai

Thanks for the feedback! For the skin I wanted to achieve the effect of it being recognisable as a living beings', while at the same time have it look alien and cold. I think that works also in conjunction with the black eyes (I'm not just being lazy, I want the eyes to be black).

tancrede

Very nice minis !
I love the skin tone, very dark and much better than skins usually seen on DE.
And I love your shields too ! ^^

ardyer

Subedai":1h3yh19i said:
Thanks for the feedback! For the skin I wanted to achieve the effect of it being recognisable as a living beings', while at the same time have it look alien and cold. I think that works also in conjunction with the black eyes (I'm not just being lazy, I want the eyes to be black).

I went for the same look, had a hard time pulling it off...to the point that I mostly gave up. I think you did a good job. Also, love your shields!

Subedai

After a long hiatus I am back to my Dark Elves (and painting in general). Bringing my allied contingent to a grand total of three warriors, the standard bearer for Mengil's Manflayers. The model I have is missing the banner top, so I'll be using this as an opportunity for a conversion when I come across a suitable alternative.

Attachments

• dark_elf_standard_01.jpg
    dark_elf_standard_01.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 2,033
Looks great Subedai, the extra attention you have given this one really shows the sculpt off nicely. Looking forward to seeing a full force of these guys develop.

Subedai

Thanks folks for the encouragement. It will be slow going, but I set myself the aim to paint another 29, and those are all the figures I have with me at the moment, so no distractions at least.

Subedai

I have a front rank! Next I'll do some crossbowmen.

Attachments

• wfb3_dark_elves_warriors_1 small.jpg
    wfb3_dark_elves_warriors_1 small.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,962

Gorim

Nice dark elves. I still can't decide which colour to chose for skin:/ Blue seems most interesting, but least "fluff friendly" / common sense...

Back