Warhammer Townscape Cottage Build

Blue in VT

hi all,

While I continue to chip away at my Terrain board project I have also started the process of learning how to make buildings for my fantasy games. Having very fond memories of the old Warhammer Townscape Card buildings I decided to use that selection of buildings as templates for 3d versions. To that end I printed out a scan of one of the buildings (a basic timbered house) and mounted it to 1/4in foamboard with spray adhesive and cut out the panels. These were glued together with PVA, mounted on some thick card for a base...and I started adding the details.

Timber frames made of Cut Balsa...

Shingles made of cut card strips mounted to a solid card base layer...

Door handle made of GS and a piece of copper wire

This is my first build...and there is still a fair amount to do...but I have really enjoyed the process and am already thinking about which building to do next!

Cheers,

Blue

It looks great :) I like the idea of using that old, nice design and improving it. It already looks great withous any paint, but what are your plans when it comes to painting it? Do you want to leave it as it is, paint all of it or only paint the timber and roof etc., leaving the prints visible?

By the way, I've also built a timberframe house recently (but not yet finhished), maybe should post some pictures of that too :)

Fimm McCool

Nice project. I started building the houses from Lichemaster in this same way but not nearly so nice. Once I finish the board I will be looking to you for inspiration to put the buildings together!

I think Diesel was giving his townscape the same treatment too Blue. Apart from making them look a lot better, it also makes the whole building "building" process a damn sight easier when you've got yourself a template to work from :grin:

The only problem with Townscape is the size of some of the buildings. They can be a tad too small....Hobbiton comes to mind :) I think Diesel printed them at an increased scale to make them more "real" scale.

Anyway, their looking fine Blue. Looking forward to seeing them painted up.

Cheers :grin:

symphonicpoet

He did put a dwarf next to the thing. ;) (But yeah, I'll file away the enlargement idea.)

Well done Blue! Very inspiring. Might have to give something similar a try.

Blue in VT

Thanks for the encouragement lads!!!

I will be painting the whole thing...by using foam ore you do alter the dimensions slightly (by a 1/2in anyway) so that throughs off the timber placement a bit and there fore some of the windows are also shifted...there fore while the template was helpful it will need to be covered up.

I think the scale of this one works well...and as I said the addition of the foam core does make them slightly larger but I will evaluate as I go along and make them larger when needs be. Sadly some of the templates I printed didn't fit entirely in the paper and I lost some edges...I blame you brits and your silly paper sizes...;)

Anyway...I started a second...the stone barn. Building house may be addictive!!! :)

Cheers,

Blue

ardyer

Mr Papafakis":2av21uxk said:
I think Diesel was giving his townscape the same treatment too Blue. Apart from making them look a lot better, it also makes the whole building "building" process a damn sight easier when you've got yourself a template to work from :grin:

The only problem with Townscape is the size of some of the buildings. They can be a tad too small....Hobbiton comes to mind :) I think Diesel printed them at an increased scale to make them more "real" scale.

Anyway, their looking fine Blue. Looking forward to seeing them painted up.

Cheers :grin:
Whenever I've used the old white dwarf templates, I've always increased their scale by about 20%.

Looking very good!

How do you create that frayed look of the shingles? Do you just randomly attack them with scissors or a knife, or is there some technique behind it? They look really great!

Back