Advanced HeroQuest: Prince of Persia

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 pm

Re: Advanced HeroQuest: Prince of Persia

lgmdaniel wrote:Why is he white?

Unless you meant why is the miniature literally white?

Because it's only been undercoated so far. I haven't had a chance to apply more layers yet...
Last edited by Stormbringer on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
lgmdaniel wrote:Why is he white?

Unless you meant why is the miniature literally white?

Because it's only been undercoated so far. I haven't had a chance to apply more layers yet...

I meant in the art... surely he's Persian.

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:44 pm

No, for as I said...

Stormbringer wrote:Because he is "an adventurer from a foreign land" -- i.e. somewhere other than Persia.
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:43 pm

Right, here is the "Prince" so far:

Basecoated and drybrushed. The next step is dipping in Quickshade, which I'm always nervous about because of the smell and the mess.

I might have to pick up a pack of cheap, throw-away brushes to assist with that task, in which case I might leave it till next month, and concentrate on painting the other miniatures first.

Donator
Donator

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:12 am

Looking great so far. :)

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 pm

The prince looks great so far - and yes, he does look like Luke Skywalker :D

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:11 pm

My wife and children have very kindly made space for me in the house to have my own dedicated "game room" -- so I've spent the last few days moving everything into it. I've also managed to get a bit more painting done.

I've also found a better spot, with more light, to take photographs of my work so far.

Here's a couple more pictures of the "kid" (who will later become Prince if he wins the game):

Ideally, I'd paint his eyes, but I just cannot work at that level of detail - my hands are too clumsy.

And this is the latest miniature, an animated skeleton warrior, who the kid has to fight in the third level of the video game:

While I was painting his base, some of the gravel came loose, leaving a hole. I found a Games Workshop skull lying about, so I added that into the hole...

This skeleton is the only miniature in the set I bought not sculpted by Dennis Mize in 1990. I think it's a much more recent sculpt by the owner of Reaper Miniatures. However, it's also the only skeleton with a scimitar I could find, and to be honest it fits quite well with the others I chose for this project.

Here is a picture of the kid fighting the skeleton in the game:

These miniatures are currently in a "pre-Quickshade" state -- next month, once all the others are painted, I will do a mass dipping session and post up final pictures when they're ready.

Donator
Donator

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:57 am

This is a great project and you're getting good results. Keep having fun and don't fret over the other stuff. I look forward to seeing what you do for game scenery. :)

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:32 am

The next miniature to be painted is one of Jaffar's palace guards.

These guys patrol the dungeon of the Sultan's palace, swords at the ready, waiting to cut down any intruders. All of them have different coloured clothing.

Here is the one I call the "orange guard":

Now, I have four different "guard" miniatures, all of which are 1990 Ral Partha sculpts by Dennis Mize (same as my "Prince" figure).

Here is the first -- he is officially called a "Corsair of the Eastern Sea", but I thought he'd do nicely as the "orange guard":

As you can see, he's ditched his white hat and yellow tabard, but kept the orange pantaloons and purple sash.

Once again, this is a pre-Quickshade paint job.

Donator
Donator

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:21 am

Neat looking miniature. I love the mustache. Looking forward to what he looks like after your quickshading. Looks pretty solid already.
PreviousNext

Return to WIP