Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 am

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

I think the servo skulls looks great; it's a nice touch and adds a splash of colour. Doesn't stand out at all.

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Thank you guys, appreciate it.

Had a 10 minutes spare tonight and an old tape measure (Richard Block and David Quayle stylee) and thought...

:D Bit of paint and use up the last of those printed water slide transfers I made. Waste not want not and all that. I'll just sit this along with a trio of pearl blue dice at the back edge of the board so show off a completely themed, fully playable RT Army on Parade. No more time for anything else now, crunch time on Saturday!

Just for anyone's interest here is the board break down of costs. This is something I've not seen spoken about in any threads. While its not about THE money, its good to have an idea of how many pennies you'll need before starting out with a project like this. So as to budget and not end up like me with it costing more than you think and you have to put the extra pennies in to finish.

£7 6mm 2"x4" mdf board
£9 4mm cork roll
£11.75 GW spray paint can
£5.10 x2 pots of wash
£8 500ml PVA/wood glue - good stuff not kids crap.
£6 spray glue - for cork, trust me its just easier and quicker than pva.
£46.85 total.

Sand / plants / extra colours / bits I already had. So when you see peoples boards/work with all the GW building/forts and extra stuff I can only imagine they are pushing close to £80 if not more!! I'm sure if you raid your bits from the shed and don't paint your bases out of the ordinary colour schemes it would be much cheaper paint wise. :D

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:22 pm

The tape measure really sells it. 8-)

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Now I know all this isn't strictly a WiP post/entry but, in the interest of continuing a story, a project here is how AoP day went.

It was an interesting day, bitter sweet. Never done this before and I was a tad nervous arriving early to set up, wondering what stiff competition I would have. Alas, I was genuinely very disappointed to find I was the only adult 40k entry?! :shock: Everyone going with Age of Sigmar. Another Space marine entry did appear to give the voters something to split a vote or two on followed later in the day (after most of the voting was done) by an impromptu display of a Tau army after I persuaded them to bring it in!

For those of you that don't know how it works. You display your army and then the general public come in and vote for their favourite board in categories of 40k/fantasy. These are broken down into, best theme, best painted, best over all, best board and something else. The boards with the most category votes win a little certificate for that and with all the categories added up across the 40k/fantasy win a bronze, silver, gold medal.

The trouble was, not having much competition in the 40k meant that there was not many people for the voters to split their votes across. So lucky for me I accumulated much of the score of 40k votes. (I did work hard at the board, matched my bases, counter sunk them, etc, so I didn't feel bad about that.) What it did mean though was that the Fantasy entrants had the same number of voters splitting their votes between more people, so their individual tally when all added up would be less. So In a nut shell I got a gold medal for most voted board in the store, but for me, personally I felt it bitter sweet, a hollow victory. (That or the painted tape measure brought me all the votes! :D ) Still, it looks nice though and I am pleased with it as a finishing touch to the project.

The board and army as a finished project.

With its crisply painted rival and modern counter part.

The spoils of war!

The board got a lot of attention for all the right reasons, from the older folk who revealed in the nostalgia to the 'Young Bloods,' who loved comparing the old to the new and still recognising all the familiar shapes and roles of the units. The most enjoyable part of it all for me was talking with people about the old models and their love of them. I was genuinely surprised at this in this modern age of super cast and detailed hero marines, people loved the RT character, details and feel of them. I'm not really sure what to take of it all other than a smile when people asked the store manager where could they get a such and such which was long out of print. :D

What would I do different if I did it again. Height, I would give it more height. You guys did advise me on that but I didn't quite give the steps enough of it, it was still quite flat. Less models, again you lot did say but I had my idea and went for it. Not displeased with that only I'd go a lot less and have more room for board work. More colour pop. I'd go braver with my contrasts and colours to make it all pop and catch the eye in a pleasing way. A little bit more individual on the character rather than the blob of blue army.

So, what now. I've got a few things to finish off which I'll update here, but this WiP project is mostly done as much as any collectors army truly is so updates will slow down.

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Just restoring these now. Getting beat up old plastic back into shape to make a trio of Predators.

Don't suppose anyone has any of the old exhausts laying about for a couple of £ ?

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Lots of bits of dozer blades. Lets make something.

Plasticard fix (amongst others) these bits.

Put it all together.

Now, I've got 2 pure RT Predators and this one weapon changeable one. I want to be able to play it as a relic with weapons options such as twin laz cannon turret or twin assault cannons and heavy bolters on the sponsons. (Just need a couple of Space Crusade scout H.B's, they fit a treat.) But I also want the twin assault cannon for a razorback option, cue magnets and scalpel. Hopefully, hopefully the guns will be interchangeable between the two turrets there. Lets see how it goes. Might look rough as old badgers balls.

In the paint shop.

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:39 am

With exception of the 'new' tanks, the army is all but at full strength now.

What with the October painting competition going on here I, I thought it an opportunity to try and up my game from table top standard, to learn something new and get out of the comfort zone. Now, I can't compete with you excellent painters, sadly, but I can learn for your work and examples and butcher your techniques! :D :D So from what I've seen and learnt from you lot, I went for the washes and glazes to try and build up a smooth purple with good contrast and highlights to draw attention to the face and a few interesting areas (as opposed to a global zenithal highlight.)

Then, and I wish I had not (in for a penny in for a pound.) NMM aka non metalic metals or WTF for the n00bs like me. Now I've looked at a few guides on this and of course it looks so easy and straight forward. You can do it all in just 4 easy pictured steps! sure, sure. :D Lets shiny GOLD this mother up! ... oh, wait, what, brass?! It looks like oldish polished brass!? *face palm* Not sure what to do about that. I think its because of the shade of brown base / mid colour I used? Its too brassy looking which throws if all off from shining polished gold to said metal? I duno :? But maybe a more yellow/lighter brown base? ... help :)

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:06 am

Congratulations - A well deserved victory. You didn't make up the rules of the competition so don't feel bad about winning it - you put an amazing amount of work into it and it is well deserved.

Any plans for these guys to hit the table in a game?

Post Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:03 am

Well, Jon, sadly there are no oldhammerites near me so its 8th edition only. I've got a little game tonight. I've played a couple of disjointed mish-mash games to get a feel of the rules. I'll take a pic or two if their army is painted nice and it looks a good match up.

As for WIP, I've just submitted my entry for the Golden Gobbo.

A little battle/game synopsis + HERE +
Last edited by JonAtron on Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Jon, thats a sterling job you've done there on the Terminator chap. The purple and gold suits him well! 8-)
Previous

Return to WIP