Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

That captured Ork looks the business Jon! The face looks perfect for it, more so than what it was intended for from GW :grin:

Great stuff!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

JonAtron

Thanks you guys! :)

Eversor assassin Trio done. Now, they are a tad rough and ready. I know if your going to do a job do it properly but I'm soOoOo limited on time lately and surprisingly, this project has taken me a year now! never expected that. I feel they are a reasonable table top standard though and will be revisited in the future along with others I have on the list.

Now onto these! I think the colour would make a real striking Chapter colour! Really pop on the table.

JonAtron

Not much to report. Still working on the librarians. Just a little something to share with you all/idea. I've played a couple of games now and wound markers are a paint in the arse. Card/platic tokens, 14mm dice that all get in the way or get pushed about. I thought about it a few weeks ago and got me the smallest practical dice I could get, 7mm, in red obviously for wounds :p They fit on the bases a treat and so move with your model when you move it. Sounds obvious but I don't see anyone doing it. Just a little practical cheap solution to a 1st world problem. XD

25mm base

32mm base

JonAtron

Genuinely asking advice from you experienced and knowledgeable people here!

Just found out Games Workshop is having its Armies on Parade day in mid October. Now I'm just crawling to some sort of 'finishing' point with this here army and though it would make for a nice finishing line. Something to A: work towards rather than just a 'when its done.' B: Get some retro back into the store! Show the kids where it all began.

So I've got my 2ft x 2ft board base. (Dems the rules for board size.) I'll drill the base slots out so that they sit flush with the display base instead of standing proud. The medic will have a body to work on, the tech marines and rhino grab arm will have something there and the Ork prisoner at the front will add some narrative. I was trying to have it that they eye was lead about the board rather than just, plonk, there is an army in lines and blocks to look at in passing.

TLDR: Advice wanted please on the layout, too much? Too busy? Have a better idea?

Ketil Trout

I’m no exprt in these things, but the whole composition does seem quite busy, particularly the left hand board edge, with multiple figures. I think it would work better if you could move some of those models in to the board and maybe break up the flatness with some variation in the height of the ground level. I think three tiers would work pretty well, I realise that’s quite a bit more work, but think this army and all the effort you’ve put into it deserves a board that really shows it off.

Gallivantes

Have you considered dressing up the board surface a bit? As opposed to just drilling out the base holes to set the models flush I mean. I assume you intend to cover the board with the same grit as the model bases, but anything beyond that in terms of landscaping features?

I would heartily recommend cork if you are of a mind to try something out. Doesn't cost a lot, could be used to work up something nice looking in very little time, but also very malleable to make something extravagant looking. You cut it, you break it, you scrape it and it's easy to combine with other basing techniques and materials.

It ties in pretty well with your plans already. You can recess the models to sit flush by sourcing sheets of the same thickness as the model bases so that could even turn out to be less effort than drilling out the board maybe? Flexibility wise too, you could work out the whole board layout as you could keep subassemblies loose and fix them when you've got things sitting right where you want them. I like your idea of leading the eye about the board and it looks to me like you might have a natural challenge there in having so many models in a limited space. One of the easiest things to do with cork sheets is a plateu stepladder effect and that could be used to help guide the eye. Nor would you be locked into the stepladder look for your board as you can very easily cut and erode the cork and also gap fill and conceal layers with things like plaster, clay and basing materials like rock/grit/sand.

I'm sure you know of it's uses already but if not you can find tons of inspiration online as a lot of people like to use it. Here's a little glance on how I like to muck around with it myself, making some model bases. For a larger piece like your board I'd pay more attention to the broader shapes but even these little pieces show how the natural properties of cork can be used for so much. Flatness, roughness/erosion, ramps, ground cracks, dressed up with a bit of scatter rocks/twigs, blended with cheap plaster for a sediment/mud effect.

Last but not least, each time I use cork for a project I find myself having a lot of fun. I guess it's the combination that I find it easy to work, also flexible in many ways, looks good when done that makes it enjoyable to do stuff with it.

file.php

JonAtron

As always, a genuine thank you for all your advice and opinions.

Yes I will be covering it with the same colour and texture of the model bases ( eek the cost of those paints :) ) so they 'belong' to the board they are on, along with the usual trimmings of rocks and bits and bobs.
I wasn't going to layer it, just keep it flat and simple. BUT, now that you guys mention it, mm, yes. I'll play around with that... yeh, give it some depth and hopeful the layering will lessen the 'busyness' as it will be in sections. I'm thinking the 3 steps will follow the curves of the troops. I'll have a play.

The overall theme was a demi company consolidating in the battle zone, and to show off as much Rogue Trader as possible. So yes, I do think it really borders on the fringes of being too busy with bodies I might cut a couple of squads down to 5 man size. Some good food for thought! Thank you again!

JonAtron

Taking advice from you lovely people. I've started on the board and added some layers. 4mm cork is on the way to make a layer all the bases can sit in AND rocky outcrops on the layer edges, there will also be sand gradient areas so its not all steps.

Started on these. I really like this Company Ancient (flag bearer) I like the sculpt. I'll have a place for him on the board. And a token flamer termie for the armoury collection.

Just about finished these, just a few little details to add. No battle damage on these as being Librarians, I wanted them pure, clean. Any dirt or damage shows a lack of integrity and discipline and could encourage the taint of the warp.

JonAtron

Getting there with these...

As I've said before I really like the sculpt of that model. Not technically RT but I feel he fits with the spirit and theatrics of the tribe.

JonAtron

Got my cork. Now I was going to cut the cork shapes out for each layer, then before I stick it on the board, cut all the holes out for the models to stand in. Buuuut me being me and with a creative mind rushing ahead I messed up. See cost is a thing for me, so I bought exactly enough cork to cover, no more or less. I cut the top tier shape out, then the bottom and had a brain fart, cutting up the top tier shape thinking it was an off cut. so, I ended up with multiple puzzle pieces that would have been a tad complicated to cut holes in for where I wanted the models. So I'll do it the hard way and stick it all on then try and drill out exactly 4mm for about 40 holes :/ What could go wrong? Then with all the holes/positions in place, I'll sand cover and decorate.

In between dabbling in that and waiting for glues to dry, I've got me some bits and another Pred tank and a Landraider to do. (I really must, MUST stay off ebay, its killing me. :shock: ) So remember the old tracks from the original Pred I cannibalised right at the start of all this, well, I've had a go and trying to use them/make something out of them. I can't waste lovely RT bits. I know its not rare but, eh, its just me. I like the result of bringing something back from junk.

A kind of logistics vehicle, throw all the ammo boxes and supplies on the back and transport it. Very much a WIP, very much rough around the edges and wont look pristine, its lists slightly to one side as the tracks are warped (my plasticard skills are limited.) But, a nice little oddity to sit on the shelf with my other oddities.

I really will stop soon, I have to, I've run out of shelf space for anything more. ... maybe a few more scouts.

JonAtron

Scrappy and rough around the edges I know, I'll have to paint it accordingly and hope the paint job pulls it all together. It is quite literally a scrap tank made of all the broken bits of the bits box. I didn't even want to waste the broken grab rails I have, so I tried to stick them together an use 'em.

portman

Loving what's going on in this thread - The Cargo carrier is excellent!

Really cool vehicle build Jon. Looks fantastic!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

JonAtron

Thank you for your comments :)

Boards is getting there. A little flatter than I thought it would end up. 25ml spade bit on the drill works a charm. The 60mm drill bit for some reason was not big enough to fit a citadel 60mm base in?? So I hand cut them out, same with the 32mm holes, no drill bit for that, good old fashioned scalpel, stanley, blood and plasters. I reduced the number of models as advised and kept in only the RT ones save the Chaplain and Standard bearer. I think before I was trying to marry two ideas together, Crimson Fists as a chapter with Pedro and co AND RT but it was too much. Now all the placements are set, when its all dry, I'll add more rocks, bits and visual interest / texture. Then paint. The 4mm cork fits the bases in flush and perfect! As always thanks for the ideas you lot!

This is better, one personality less bi pola idea/narrative.

Some paint, to bring it all together. I've always gone real timid with contrast, not really having the skill, experience, good air brush to pull it off. I was pleased with how the last batch terminators looked and look with a brighter bright and darker dark. so I went for it. Visual interest over realism. I also find when you add all the other extra colours and details it visually tones down the extremity of reasonable contrast. (The dark brown/yellow dont look as dark on camera.)

JonAtron

Whenever you think a little project wont cost you much, triple it. Wood, glue, cork, paint. About £38 so far. Now, I've not got anything to compare costs to but its creeping up. I tried to save £10 by not undercoating it as it has a layer of PVA over it to stop it soaking up gallons of paint. Rather than take days with the air brush I just threw money at a GW rattle can of the same red I used on the bases, only I think it might be brighter overall than the models as of course, I didn't grey prime it first. Doh. I've also come to a realisation that I don't have the ink I need (Rekland Fleshshade) to cover the whole board (as is done on the model bases and gives it the overall hue) and its going to cost-a fortune... what to do... Also, the yellow in the bases it going to be a pain to marry up with the board which will need some of that yellow to tie it all in, problems, problems.

On a side note, I finished the baggage cart.

Actually, I need to sort them light lenses out, they look shite.

Suber

I had missed these updates and sir, this is fantastic!! :o

Back