Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Thank you lot as always for the advice. I use micro sol. Typically I would Vallejo gloss varnish the patch and area I want to apply the transfer. Cut and soak, apply to the gloss area with micro sol, sometimes a few coats of that to get it into shape then when all dry I've tried gloss, satin and matt varnish to set, with an over spray of matt rattle can (tried differing brands) to set the whole paint job on the model. some of the decals do have much more of a sheen than others, I think this is the new Vs old.

I've tried all the home remedies like white vinegar etc, I've tried all the varnish work around and combos. Just can't seem to get it. Maybe the micro set is the key? Although I've seen other peoples results looking great without it. Not that it matters much now as I've done all the decals but for future, I will crack this nut!

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 pm

JonAtron wrote:Thank you lot as always for the advice. I use micro sol. Typically I would Vallejo gloss varnish the patch and area I want to apply the transfer. Cut and soak, apply to the gloss area with micro sol, sometimes a few coats of that to get it into shape then when all dry I've tried gloss, satin and matt varnish to set, with an over spray of matt rattle can (tried differing brands) to set the whole paint job on the model. some of the decals do have much more of a sheen than others, I think this is the new Vs old.

I've tried all the home remedies like white vinegar etc, I've tried all the varnish work around and combos. Just can't seem to get it. Maybe the micro set is the key? Although I've seen other peoples results looking great without it. Not that it matters much now as I've done all the decals but for future, I will crack this nut!
Micro set thins the transfer. So does solv-a-set, but it's pretty harsh. Works on the new transfers, but not on the old so well.

I'm both cases though, you need to apply and walk away. Come back 12+ hours later and check if you need a second coat. 2 should usually be enough.

Another trick is trim the transfer as close as you can to the design. This tricks the eye because there is a natural boundary. But when you do that, make sure to lightly cut with a very sharp blade. If you cut to hard, you can cause the transfer edge to curl just a little bit, which makes it worse.

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Here's a video from Paul Budzik that I found to be a huge help. He probably posted it on a different channel that has since been deleted, so hopefully it stays at this link: https://youtu.be/L_rdwH1EGus

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:40 pm

So much to do, so little time. Armorium cherub for the Dev squad. Still slowly dabbing a little paint on these marines. I wanted some servo skulls, I don't know why but they fetch a good price on ebay I didn't want to pay. So I bought a cheap packet of metal skulls and I'm currently making a few (wip,) just for aesthetics and the collection.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:57 pm

Those RPE skulls have been a great buy, I've used them in so many things. Loving the little additions like the cherub, really brings the force to life.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Yes, I'm really pleased with them. Great price and just perfect for when you want a skull! Really nice to work with.

No rules in 8th edition for servo skulls so these are just for the looks. The ideas developing are an armorium cherub proxi set for when I run 2 dev squads. A chaplaincy set and a spotter/recon set.

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Changed the skulls a little. I'm still very much enjoying the project but I just don't have the time to put the love into it at the moment, to up my game. I see some of the work on the forums and it looks amazing. Lots to be learnt and bettered from but alas I don't have that time. Literally 5 minutes here and there in passing which is NOT the way to do it. But for now, it wont show me up on the table (maybe that scroll work will, I'll redo that :D rushing again) and I can play them in games. Got some time off coming up so I can go back over, take my time and tidy these up and a few other bits that look a tad rushed. I know my limits as a painter but I'm disappointing myself.

Also added a signum for those Sarg re rolls!

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 pm

Had a little time to get a few things started buuUUuut what a mare with the airbrush. Being such a warm day, 30c, the air brush just gets dry tip and makes a mess if anything in no time. Even with an oiled needle. I don't have flow improver so it didn't go as wanted. But I managed to get some paint shot in the end.

Working on scouts. I managed to get 7 lovely metal ones recently but needed 3 more to make 2 squads of 5. I happened to have some of the plastic ones from the old space crusade expansion game I think. So time to convert them a little. I've kept one as original state magnatised arm for pistol or heavy bolter. The other two I need different, I hate and don't want double ups. I also don't have enough arms for them so green/blue stuff to the rescue.

Trying to finish the 2nd Dev squad.

Shooty Termi squad under way with a choice of assault cannon or Cyclone launcher.

Once this lot is all done, its just a few characters left and then I'll do a tidy up and army group shot as it should be pretty much finished... As long as I stay off ebay :/

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Still plodding along. 2nd Dev Squad done. Shooty temies done. I truly love the old style Temies so much detail. I have also done it so that all the bodies for the shooty Termies have the bionic eye where as the hammernators dont. They have the assault bodies. Just a little thing but it triggers my OC if it was all mixed up like :D One thing, the 'Captain' should have the grenade Power Fist BUT as a terminator Sarg, he needs the Power sword. So I used the grenade fist as a regular power fist on a termie. Not quite right but until I find an arm in some bits lot on ebay. Thats how it is.

Oh I also rebased all the terminators on 32mm bases, they were just pissing me off on the 28mm, so front heavy and always falling over. The new style is to have them on 40mm but they just looked too big for the smaller scale army of RT. 32mm, think serves all purposes of balance, look and play.

2 5 man scout squads coming soon.

Story so far

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:56 pm

I love the choices you made with colours. Wonderful army!
PreviousNext

Return to WIP