Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Thank you lot as always for the advice. I use micro sol. Typically I would Vallejo gloss varnish the patch and area I want to apply the transfer. Cut and soak, apply to the gloss area with micro sol, sometimes a few coats of that to get it into shape then when all dry I've tried gloss, satin and matt varnish to set, with an over spray of matt rattle can (tried differing brands) to set the whole paint job on the model. some of the decals do have much more of a sheen than others, I think this is the new Vs old.

I've tried all the home remedies like white vinegar etc, I've tried all the varnish work around and combos. Just can't seem to get it. Maybe the micro set is the key? Although I've seen other peoples results looking great without it. Not that it matters much now as I've done all the decals but for future, I will crack this nut!

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 pm

JonAtron wrote:Thank you lot as always for the advice. I use micro sol. Typically I would Vallejo gloss varnish the patch and area I want to apply the transfer. Cut and soak, apply to the gloss area with micro sol, sometimes a few coats of that to get it into shape then when all dry I've tried gloss, satin and matt varnish to set, with an over spray of matt rattle can (tried differing brands) to set the whole paint job on the model. some of the decals do have much more of a sheen than others, I think this is the new Vs old.

I've tried all the home remedies like white vinegar etc, I've tried all the varnish work around and combos. Just can't seem to get it. Maybe the micro set is the key? Although I've seen other peoples results looking great without it. Not that it matters much now as I've done all the decals but for future, I will crack this nut!
Micro set thins the transfer. So does solv-a-set, but it's pretty harsh. Works on the new transfers, but not on the old so well.

I'm both cases though, you need to apply and walk away. Come back 12+ hours later and check if you need a second coat. 2 should usually be enough.

Another trick is trim the transfer as close as you can to the design. This tricks the eye because there is a natural boundary. But when you do that, make sure to lightly cut with a very sharp blade. If you cut to hard, you can cause the transfer edge to curl just a little bit, which makes it worse.

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Here's a video from Paul Budzik that I found to be a huge help. He probably posted it on a different channel that has since been deleted, so hopefully it stays at this link: https://youtu.be/L_rdwH1EGus
Previous

Return to WIP