twisted moon's 2018

twisted moon

been a slow start to 2018 in terms of posting, but some painting has been going on. here's what i've completed so far:

from left to right: a citadel hand gunner, das shwarze auge landsknecht with zweihander, citadel mordheim figure, das shwarze auge landsknecht with zweihander, citadel imperial engineer with long gun.

two conquest miniatures woodland indians, rackham minatures sharp-shooter, two more conquest miniatures woodland indians.

village green pirates, three with swords, one with a brace of pistols and a drummer.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot1.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot1.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 5,419
  • Company of the Yellow Boot2.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot2.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 5,419
  • Company of the Yellow Boot3.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot3.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 5,419

twisted moon

i realised i'd also painted these five village green pirates, two with blunderbuss and three with muskets, but forgotten to photograph them.

i then had a minor detour to paint these kryomek helion as giant worms for frostgrave.

i picked these up at vapnartak for £4.00 for the pack after hunting for suitable miniatures at a reasonable price throughout 2017.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot4.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot4.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 5,341
  • Giant Worms.JPG
    Giant Worms.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 5,341

twisted moon

more or less in parallel with the giant worms i also painted this:

i magnetised the base of the tank commander so that he can bail out if the tank brews up.

the photography still leaves a lot to be desired.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank1.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank1.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 5,339
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank2.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank2.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 5,339
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank3.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Steam Tank3.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 5,339

twisted moon

it is, and all white metal (except the wheels); i bought it in the early '00s, by mail order, when it was on sale for some reason (would that correspond with the initial release of the 2nd generation design?).
thanks very much. in the same vein as skullcrusher and the undead war mammoth, i'm pleased to be getting paint on some of these bigger things finally.

I like the yellow and grey colour scheme of your Empire troops very much.

By the way, may I ask you which colour you used for the gold areas on the Steam Tank? I am looking for a gold colour which is less orange-like than the ones I normally use.

twisted moon

thank you. the colour around the gun and surrounding the body paneling is vallejo model colour bronze 70998; the lighter colour used for contrast here and there is citadel colour shining gold.
as for the uniform colours, the yellow is an old and badly granulated citadel colour sunburst yellow whilst the grey is vallejo model colour green grey 886.

twisted moon

i got these from reiver castings (https://reivercasting.wordpress.com/thi ... r-1618-48/ packs tyws3 & 4) at vapnartak and the pikes from coritani magnetic displays (http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/); £29.00 for a unit of 20 is a pretty good deal. the pikes are sold at 100mm length, but i cut them down to 80mm, since that looked better to me. i suspect it's still going to prove a challenge to physically get them into base contact with their opponents.
apart from the rear rank, they all need substantial cutting down of the integral bases to get them on 20mm slottas; they also needed careful positioning to rank up, which i haven't quite succeeded in doing due to a post-basing decision to have the horizontal pikes in the front rank.
although there's quite a good variety in the sculpts, i ended up painting them in bulk to try and ensure maximum variety within the limited scope of the uniform paint scheme. i think it worked, but wouldn't recommend it; back to batches of 5 or so from now on.

i ended up with ten sculpts of the second rank and none of the first, but reiver got replacements in the post as soon as i told them, so i'd recommend them for customer service.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot Pike.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Pike.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 5,078

twisted moon

next up, an irregular miniatures (http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/) galloper gun and crew.

i'm working on the limber for this at the moment, using a couple of irregular's horses. currently, i haven't attached the gun to the base so it can be switched between deployed and limbered modes, but ultimately may end up getting another copy, if irregular miniatures are at the durham wargames show in june.
i anticipate i'll use a version of the wfb 5th ed. dogs of war bronzino's galloper rules for this, which can be found here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/219215157/wa ... f-war-1998, tweaked for 2nd/3rd edition.
not sure how i'll use it in 'gothic horror: vampire wars', which is where this project originated.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot Artillery.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Artillery.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 4,937

twisted moon

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot Artillery limber1.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Artillery limber1.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,400
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Artillery limber2.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Artillery limber2.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,400
  • Company of the Yellow Boot5.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot5.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,400

twisted moon

here are a couple of outriders; these are highwaymen from outpost wargame services (http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk ... aymen.html). first the mounted versions:

... and then dismounted:

i also painted this dagger man, again a village green figure, who will be added to the forces command element:

that completes the fighting element of the company of the yellow boot. next draft animals and camp followers.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot Mounted Outriders.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Mounted Outriders.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,327
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Dismounted Outriders.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Dismounted Outriders.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 2,327
  • Company of the Yellow Boot6.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot6.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 2,327
I like were this is going. In the base for the cannon, are the cracks between (and in) the tiles three-dimensional, or where they painted on? Looks good anyway.

BTW I would love to see a shot of the whole army when this project is finished :)

twisted moon

LilBroGrendel":38vq95b4 said:
In the base for the cannon, are the cracks between (and in) the tiles three-dimensional, or where they painted on?

it's a flagstones design printed from the interwebs, which i've used for roads on all my fantasy terrain tiles and here and there on my ruined city tiles.

LilBroGrendal":38vq95b4 said:
BTW I would love to see a shot of the whole army when this project is finished.

i'm planning on putting pictures on the showroom board once the whole force is completed; sometimes my plans don't see fruition, however.

twisted moon

slow going at the moment, but here's the first baggage element.

irregular miniatures oxen and a 4ground cart. i'm not sure there's much more i can say.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage1.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage1.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,188
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage2.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage2.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,188
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage3.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage3.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 2,188

twisted moon

more baggage:

more irregular oxen with a 4ground waggon this time; i have another of these to construct.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage4.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage4.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,098
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage5.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage5.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,098
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage6.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage6.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 2,098

twisted moon

my hobby time was mostly taken up with preparations for tobcon until the end of last month, but i'm back to oldhammer stuff again now, albeit a little slowly. i did actually manage to get the second wagon completed before getting engrossed in scenario writing, but didn't manage to photograph it. here it is now:

i may add a masking tape canopy at some point, but at the moment am happy to have it looking different to the first.
to get back into the swing of painting i also completed this:

it's a blind beggar miniatures cultist that came free with the juggenfloot kickstarter. i have no immediate use for such cultists, but do need ghosts for my undead army, and i am happy this does the trick. it has a couple of green washes, which are not showing up well in the photo.
i'm still trying to complete the company of the yellow boot before the year is out; here are some civilians for the baggage train:

the three on the left are village green once again, whilst the other two are frostgrave miniatures of a sigilst and her apprentice (http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=9163), i got mine with the forgotten pacts nickstarter. these may end up getting promoted into the fighting forces as additional magical support for the current warrior priest.
i'm away for most of the rest of the month, so the next update is likely to be orctober related.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage7.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage7.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,912
  • Ghost.JPG
    Ghost.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,912
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage8.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage8.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,912

twisted moon

took some figures with me and managed to get fewer painted. first up juggenfloot and a TV crew:

then some citadel, mostly wood elves, a couple of dark elves and a timelord doubling as a wizard. i use these as sidhe in games in erin, which I set in cornwall, rather than ireland; so kernow, really.

poor photo's, poorer even than usual, but there you go.

Attachments

• Sidhe1.JPG
    Sidhe1.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,842
  • Juggenfloot.JPG
    Juggenfloot.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 1,842
Back