UrchinJoe's slow progress

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:45 pm

UrchinJoe's slow progress

Hi Everyone,

None of these really fit anywhere else on the forum (although I started the Ambull with a couple of bigger minis for Big April Challenge. It's June now so I am making progress pretty slowly). I had a weekend to myself while my wife's away for work, and a day off today after working the last bank holiday. So I got quite a lot of painting done and thought it would be nice to share.

The Ambull was the first mini I ever bought and painted. This one's a replacement, and I'm pretty pleased with him.
Ambull.jpg
Ambull.jpg (188.45 KiB) Viewed 732 times

I got a load of the ever-popular Night Horrors for about £5.00 per head from eBay recently. They're simple, look pretty good even with just one colour and have loads of variety, so I've been using them to challenge myself to paint faster. I'm about halfway through a second batch of six, of 20 in total.
Night_Horrors_1.jpg
Night_Horrors_1.jpg (182.64 KiB) Viewed 732 times

Not really 'old', but here's an orc from the Warlord Orc Sprue. Dirt cheap and looks like it walked straight out of Ralph Bakshi's LOTR. I painted this as close as I could to the piece on their website, because I liked it and didn't feel creative.
Warlord_Orc.jpg
Warlord_Orc.jpg (148.91 KiB) Viewed 732 times

Hope you like them! More to come, maybe in August.

Joseph.

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Re: UrchinJoe's slow progress

Impressive and yes those night horrors do have a certain odd class to them.

Post Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Great paintjobs. I also like the base of the Ambull with all the putty and colored lichen. It must be a nice feeling to have painted the first mini you ever bought (even though it's a replacement) :)

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:45 pm

beautiful work and very inspiring. thanks for sharing :)

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks for the comments everyone! I've finished off another six Night Horrors, mostly using or adapting formulas I've used before - grey wraiths, red devils and green ghost. I'm particularly pleased with the brown fur on the wearbear (using modern GW paints, it's Rhinox Hide, washed with Nuln Oil and drybrushed with Verminlord Hide, then picking up the details using Ratskin Flesh, Bestigor Flesh and Ungor Flesh).

Night_Horrors_2.jpg
Night_Horrors_2.jpg (213.4 KiB) Viewed 539 times

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:51 pm

I've spent a couple of weeks working on my most recent D&D character, Tcheh'Rul the Sea-Bear, a half-orc barbarian pirate. She died last week,
which is a shame, but at least I get to paint something new now. The mini is Warmonger Miniatures 'Bloody Magda the Malodorous Queen'.
I've not seen any painted examples of this other than the one on their website, and figured it might be of interest here (even though it's not very old).

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:04 pm

This is like a niche, inside a niche, part of a sub genre... :ugeek:
You managed to bring out all of those unusual details of that half orc very nicely and the sea shell on the base is a great addition.

good job!
Et à ce j'ajouterai, santé!

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks Plaiecivile! This was a lot of fun to paint (and yeah, to find in the first place!). I'm getting pretty comfy in my current orc skin formula so it's probably time to mix it up and try something new.

I've been off work this week so had a chance to be really productive with my painting. I've finished a couple of long-delayed pieces, including two (well one and a half really) from the Greenskin Wars Kickstarter. More pics from different angles will follow on my blog but for now, here's what I've been up to. A troll and wolf from Greenskin Wars, and an old chaos sorcerer from the 80s. I am intensely proud of the troll, I think it might be my best paint-job to date.

I'm off work until Monday, recovering after a big tattoo session this morning, and my wife's in Italy so hopefully more progress on more minis later in the week!

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:29 am

I've been working on this C29 manticore for months, getting the blending just right. Finally finished and I'm really pleased with the result! There's a load more pictures on my blog, here.

Return to WIP