Citadel JD, Paranoia AND Gothic Horror

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed May 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Re: Citadel JD, Paranoia AND Gothic Horror

Well done, you’re putting my output to shame. To be fair, that’s not hard as I only ever seem to paint a few figures for BOYL these days. Liking the ghoul skin, which paint did you use?

With regards to filling your ranks, I think that the first release ADD93 Ghouls from way back when Citadel had the TSR license would be a good fit. As would the ADD96 Zombies if you want to go there. That said, the Kev Adams ones are great too.

LINK

P.S. edit. Check out the ADD94 Ghasts too.

Post Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks for the tip - the AD&D range is something I’ve not really explored in detail, had some blink dogs and an illusionist from the range but I think that’s about it - now I’m thinking of my next collection activity....

Paint on ghouls is Vallejo German c beige wwII, and the army painter necrotic flesh lightened with Vallejo ivory, plus light and dark tone washes. Really simple but great effects I think - helps that the miniatures are stand outs. I have a plague elemental which I’m think of doing in same style.

Donator
Donator

Post Thu May 21, 2020 1:40 am

Oh boy, great stuff just continues coming on this thread.

I really should use more time on this fora :D

Post Thu May 21, 2020 12:12 pm

Jonas wrote:Oh boy, great stuff just continues coming on this thread.

I really should use more time on this fora :D

Always nice to get positive feedback - really helps keeps me motivated.

Whilst I'm relatively late to this forum I was a 'lurker' for several years. I'm also now part of the various Oldhammer Facebook groups (along with the rest of the world it seems) - but whilst its nice and easy to post photos to Facebook this forum feels like the real home for Oldhammer.

For example I also joined the Facebook trading group, but am disturbed by some of the prices that are being posted - often in excess of eBay BIN prices - and so many recent sculpts that people seems to be missing the point.

As an aside I also noticed that COVID-19 has led to an increase in the number of oldhammer blogs being revised, its a shame that they don't appear to be linked to the forum anymore.

Lots of the prep work for previous BOYL's inspired me to pick up the paintbrushes again, and it would be great if those links were re-established (have they been lost automatically? or is it a conscious decision to de-link themselves from the forum do you think?) and it would be great if those original posters were active here again.

Post Fri May 22, 2020 4:54 pm

The two ghouls were very easy paint jobs, but I thought the results were effective and fun to paint - so much so that I finally had a go at a Citadel C29 Plague Elemental.

Very pleased with this one - and i don't think the photos do him justice at all. The miniature doesn't seem to photograph well (he's very two dimensional), but sitting on my desk looking down on him as I type I think he looks great. Highlighting and dry brushing emphasized loads of skins textures, ribs, bones and warts that sadly don't appear on the photos.

Last edited by Sleepysod on Sat May 23, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri May 22, 2020 7:53 pm

This thread makes me wanna paint my big pile of Grenadier Combat Zone/Kill Zone minis.

Donator
Donator

Post Fri May 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Even if, as you say, he looks better in person he still looks pretty stunning in photograph. That's a big pile of rotting and diseased meat shambling along there. :) Well done! A truly horrifying horror.

Post Sat May 23, 2020 12:02 am

The Elemental is a beautiful(?) sculpt all sorts of revolting detail anda great job you have done of it. I think it is the basis of all the Nurgle stuff that followed
Image Image Image Image

Post Sat May 23, 2020 7:39 am

Tauntaun Scout wrote:This thread makes me wanna paint my big pile of Grenadier Combat Zone/Kill Zone minis.

They are a lovely range- have a few of the more mad max type ones in a semi painted state

Post Sat May 23, 2020 7:42 am

symphonicpoet wrote:Even if, as you say, he looks better in person he still looks pretty stunning in photograph. That's a big pile of rotting and diseased meat shambling along there. :) Well done! A truly horrifying horror.

He’s definitely going to make a reappearance in a gothic horror esq diorama at some point. Glad you like
PreviousNext

Return to WIP