Fighting the Trolltooth Wars in 28mm. Advice please?

The place to discuss everthing retro : OSR, Fantasy Figthing books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:46 am

Re: Fighting the Trolltooth Wars in 28mm. Advice please?

The whole range of minis are rather nice - good spot!

Might have to get some for Dungeoneering and leave the Trolltooth duties to Ral Partha.

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:52 am

Right, I've taken the plunge and got hold of 15 Advanced Heroquest Henchmen - anyone else got any spare they wouldn't mind parting with as I need another 10 or so.

Location: "I have loved justice and hated inequity; and therefore I die in exile."

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 am

lenihan wrote:There aren't enough to make up a unit, but I was looking at the Dragonbait miniatures elves, and noticed that they do have rather goblinoid faces (not surprising given that they come from Kev Adams) that look very like the faces of the Black Elves in the Shamutanti Hills illustration...

I'll take a look, thanks mate! :D
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill.

Warlord Paul: AKA Pope Paul the Evangelist, AKA The Despoiler of Sandpits.

http://warlordpauluk.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 am

If your final battle scene is 10:1 scale, and the 37 goblin tribes are roughly 15 models per tribe, then i'd like to donate a tribe to the cause - I have a bunch of odds and ends left from collecting Kev Adams forest gobboes, extra champions and so forth. If i painted them up and put them on a little display base (like a mini diorama i guess, sort of) would that be a welcome addition?

Location: "I have loved justice and hated inequity; and therefore I die in exile."

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:22 am

Captain Crooks wrote:If your final battle scene is 10:1 scale, and the 37 goblin tribes are roughly 15 models per tribe, then i'd like to donate a tribe to the cause - I have a bunch of odds and ends left from collecting Kev Adams forest gobboes, extra champions and so forth. If i painted them up and put them on a little display base (like a mini diorama i guess, sort of) would that be a welcome addition?

Yes, very much so! Thanks for the very kind and generous offer! :D
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill.

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:26 am

Warlord Paul wrote:
Captain Crooks wrote:If your final battle scene is 10:1 scale, and the 37 goblin tribes are roughly 15 models per tribe, then i'd like to donate a tribe to the cause - I have a bunch of odds and ends left from collecting Kev Adams forest gobboes, extra champions and so forth. If i painted them up and put them on a little display base (like a mini diorama i guess, sort of) would that be a welcome addition?

Yes, very much so! Thanks for the very kind and generous offer! :D

It'd be my pleasure to be a part of something like this. I've been over this thread and the whole thing really captured my imagination :)

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:45 am

I'm pleased about that. When Thantsants first admitted a fascination with the story (which was a youthful favourite of mine too) I got really excited about a project based on it.

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:46 am

Welcome aboard Captain and thanks for the generous contribution!

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:05 am

I was going to PM this but it occurred to me that other potential donors might benefit from the discussion - for the final presentation, I'm wondering, are you using a custom made board? If so, would you rather I left off flocking bases etc so there isn't any odd terrain mismatching? I was planning to include some basic scenic elements on my contribution, probably in the form of some twisted spiderwebby trees to fit the forest goblin theme, and maybe a small hill/rocky outcropping to mount them on. I can do it all up to the point of flock and leave it for you guys to add the finishing touches if you like?

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am

We are going to game the scenarios at home first so that we can photograph them and post them up as battle reports. The next stage will be to run them at a wargames show or two and publicise Oldhammer a little bit. I am running a WW2 table at the next Recon for my club to get some experience in that regard. Either way I think we will be using existing boards that we have at our houses and maybe a handful of custom terrain pieces, all of which use a mixture of browns and greens on the ground. What I would suggest though is that you just enjoy building the goblin tribe and don't feel constrained by us in any way, rather let us concern ourselves with how we pose the photography to show the scene in the best light. There is the old WD trick of temporarily burying the bases in flock if all else fails! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Discussions