Fighting the Trolltooth Wars in 28mm. Advice please?

Thantsants

The whole range of minis are rather nice - good spot!

Might have to get some for Dungeoneering and leave the Trolltooth duties to Ral Partha.

Thantsants

Right, I've taken the plunge and got hold of 15 Advanced Heroquest Henchmen - anyone else got any spare they wouldn't mind parting with as I need another 10 or so.

lenihan":3gkvbg0a said:
There aren't enough to make up a unit, but I was looking at the Dragonbait miniatures elves, and noticed that they do have rather goblinoid faces (not surprising given that they come from Kev Adams) that look very like the faces of the Black Elves in the Shamutanti Hills illustration...

I'll take a look, thanks mate! :grin:

If your final battle scene is 10:1 scale, and the 37 goblin tribes are roughly 15 models per tribe, then i'd like to donate a tribe to the cause - I have a bunch of odds and ends left from collecting Kev Adams forest gobboes, extra champions and so forth. If i painted them up and put them on a little display base (like a mini diorama i guess, sort of) would that be a welcome addition?

Captain Crooks":1s6o1jyv said:
If your final battle scene is 10:1 scale, and the 37 goblin tribes are roughly 15 models per tribe, then i'd like to donate a tribe to the cause - I have a bunch of odds and ends left from collecting Kev Adams forest gobboes, extra champions and so forth. If i painted them up and put them on a little display base (like a mini diorama i guess, sort of) would that be a welcome addition?

Yes, very much so! Thanks for the very kind and generous offer! :grin:

Warlord Paul":3gltqjfe said:
Captain Crooks":3gltqjfe said:

Yes, very much so! Thanks for the very kind and generous offer! :grin:

It'd be my pleasure to be a part of something like this. I've been over this thread and the whole thing really captured my imagination :)

I'm pleased about that. When Thantsants first admitted a fascination with the story (which was a youthful favourite of mine too) I got really excited about a project based on it.

I was going to PM this but it occurred to me that other potential donors might benefit from the discussion - for the final presentation, I'm wondering, are you using a custom made board? If so, would you rather I left off flocking bases etc so there isn't any odd terrain mismatching? I was planning to include some basic scenic elements on my contribution, probably in the form of some twisted spiderwebby trees to fit the forest goblin theme, and maybe a small hill/rocky outcropping to mount them on. I can do it all up to the point of flock and leave it for you guys to add the finishing touches if you like?

We are going to game the scenarios at home first so that we can photograph them and post them up as battle reports. The next stage will be to run them at a wargames show or two and publicise Oldhammer a little bit. I am running a WW2 table at the next Recon for my club to get some experience in that regard. Either way I think we will be using existing boards that we have at our houses and maybe a handful of custom terrain pieces, all of which use a mixture of browns and greens on the ground. What I would suggest though is that you just enjoy building the goblin tribe and don't feel constrained by us in any way, rather let us concern ourselves with how we pose the photography to show the scene in the best light. There is the old WD trick of temporarily burying the bases in flock if all else fails! :grin:

i've just discovered this thread and this amazing idea. i'm blown away with what you guys are trying to achieve here. like many, fighting fantasy was an early love, i must see if i still have Trolltooth Wars anywhere, i loved that book but who knows if it survived... i can see Shadowmaster from here but i can't remember seeing TTW. might be time to hit amazon!

good luck with it! maybe i'll paint you a squad of goblins for it (if i have a squad knocking around and you'd accept my distincly average painting!

Hi daddyorchips (chips) welcome to the project! All donations are always gratefully received and of course after all objectives are met tribes can always be repatriated upon request.

Glad your imagination was sparked by TTW and our project! I found I had lent away two of the three Chadda Darkmane novels in my youth and only had Shadowmaster left, I picked up inexpensive replacement copies from ebay fairly easily though.

Just joined the forum and discovered this thread. Mind blown! TTW holds a very special place in my heart and I would pore over Russ Nicholsons illustrations as a kid contemplating how the battles might look on a tabletop. 25 years later you guys are making it a reality, bravo! I shall follow your progress with equal parts childlike awe and seething envy!

Welcome aboard Corehammer73! I am picking up a vast box of lead from Thantsants (who placed a discounted order for us both recently) next time we meet up, I will show you the results as they develop.

Also, thanks to JB for the link to the rhinoman, I will make sure T has seen it.

Thantsants

Good spot Assless - he looks good for a champion!

Corehammer - I did pretty much the same as you when I was a Kid. Really enjoying making it a reality now :mrgreen:

Here's a link to my latest post on the Cunnelwort Caravan - the minis I'll be using for the first scenario we hope to play.

Oh and a few teaser pics!

Hi all, another little update for you on the progress of this seemingly very slowburn project!

Paul/Golgfag, send me a PM with details about what you need me to do if you want me to move this thread somewhere or rename it.

I have been working on a a large number of the Crimson Wave Orcs from Black Tree Design (great minis, great price, very random delivery times and very poor contactability) for use as suitably impressive Hill Goblins plus some of the donations we have received. I have also gotten several units of rag-tag mercs and auxiliaries almost ready to show, made from mostly Grenadier and Ral Partha. :)

I have been running a table at many of the local shows up north for experience and I have to say there has been mixed results. I have been running historical tables (because that's what I had ready to go) and have received lots of attention and compliments from attendees which is hugely encouraging and confidence building. The big down side is that at every show I have had miniatures stolen, averaging at about £30-£40 worth each day at a show. :( Needless to say this has been very off-putting indeed and more or less rules out the idea of taking old lead on the road. This part of the original plan is therefore under review.

Better news, it seems as though we should be able to get some Rhinomen and a variant head sprue cast up without any legal issues! :) Some of these may be made available to forum members, blog followers and FB members if there is an interest.

I currently have a couple of hundred miniatures going through the conveyor belt process of being painted because I hope to debut this section of the army at BOYL '15 (hopefully those guys can keep their sticky fingers to themselves at least! Lol, ;) ).

Back