Ulysses 31

Blue in VT

Count Von Bruno":1css83bx said:
I loved Robotech as a kid (until I discovered the source material)

I used to get myself out of bed at 6:00am to watch Robotech everyday before school...my parents thought I was nuts...but I loved it. I'm curious about your comment...what source material are you talking about and how did it affect your appreciation of the show?

Cheers,

Blue

Zhu Bajie

Count Von Bruno":27odkk44 said:
Here ya go http://chaossquats.blogspot.com.au/...00-05:00&max-results=1&start=10&by-date=false

This guy is awesome, personally I have never been able to bring myself to cannibalise lead...but wow.

That's pretty special, thanks for the link!

Have to be honest I never got along with the Palladium RPG dual damage track, it didn't feel like ninja-fighting at all. Did run a campaign with my mates tho (turned into a gang of super-criminals planning heists pretty quick), and the sourcebooks are a must for the hardcore TMNT fan as all of the artwork is Eastman Laird and Lawson IIRC.

I never really played too much palladium stuff, just soaked it all in and made characters etc :oops:

Blue: haha, my parents laugh how my brother and I used to get up early like that but as adults cant get up at all :lol:

Robotech was three completely different Japanese cartoons (by the same studio) dubbed and partially rewritten/shoehorned to be one story by Carl Maceck/Harmony Gold.

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (The Macross Saga)
Space Cavalry Southern Cross (Southern Cross)
Genesis Climber Mospeada (The New Generation)

In the Macross series, there are no Robotech Masters or Zor, the Zentradi arrive on earth thinking the Macrosss (SDF-1) is part of their enemies fleet (supervisionist army, IIRC) and protoculture doesn't exist as an energy source (its a race of people, the creators of humans and Zentradi/their enemies) and other stuff like that.
Its a lot more adult/less annoying than Robotech (which I loved as a kid)-I got the series with subtitles from madman entertainment, and Robotech edited out some of the more graphic violence too.
That's why you never see the SDF-2 that is supposed to have been destroyed when Khyron (Kamjin Kravshera) and Azonia (Lap Lamiz) run into the SDF-1/Macross at the end of the Macross saga-it wasn't there (although there is a second SDF Macross, the megaroad in the Japanese series'continiuty) and why Rick Hunter (Ichijo Hikaru) never returned in the SDF-3 to save earth from the Invid...
Which kind of pissed me off as a kid :lol:

Southern Cross was a partially finished series that I never really liked anyway, Dana Sterling isn't Max Sterling's (Maximillian Jenius) daughter and it isn't even set on Earth-they painted out the second moon in the sky.

Mospeada didn't see too many changes as far as I know, besides having nothing to do with Macross initially.
Ever notice how Lancer was a cross dresser?
Don't think they do that in cartoons these days :lol:

There was a movie made in 86, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross:grin:o You Remember Love? that is a sort of retelling of the Macross saga, the animation is still brilliant and it has some great stuff in it-I managed to get a subtitled bootleg (not sure if it has a proper English release) because dubs usually suck IMO...

Heres a link to it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knp9Mftt1Os

The Japanese did continue the Macross story, but it gets pretty stupid (guys flying Valkyries by a guitar, etc) and Rick Hunter/Hikaru and Lisa Hayes/Misa Hayase aren't in it again.

Back