[2000AD] Nemesis the Warlock

Zhu Bajie

I loves me some Nemesis the Warlock and the ABC warriors, from back in the day.

Hmm, let's play a game. How many "influences" on GW output can we decern from this one image:

scan0145.jpg

Just John

Ok well first up I think that you have it wrong - quite obviously 2000AD is guilty of IP infringement and stole lots of ideas from GW.

Secondly 200AD obviously stole Xenophobic humans, impractical weaponry, Terra, the Eldar and possibly Slaneeshy stuff. THey also stole Terminator (TM) Terminated (TM) Brethern (TM) Beseech (TM) Vigilant (TM) and the word Be (TM)

Thridly
Citadel Collector":2gtuaaga said:
Top right: "credit card" - the only way you can afford to buy modern GW figures...
:lol:

Zhu Bajie

Well, let's have a look at the symbol on the front of the TALISMAN INQUISITOR!

mini_2inquisitor_card.jpg

and what about the ADEPTUS CUSTARDS from 40k:RT hanging around on the right hand side of Torquemada?

custodes.jpg

Hmm...

bug16

I love Kev O'Neills artwork on this era of Nemesis!

As for the influence on GW I guess you've got the gothic script, the killing of aliens because they're alien, calling the earth "Terra" and Terminators.

Zhu Bajie

Unfortunately only I read my neighbours original Progs, but bought the "Quality Fleetway" comics when they were released, along with their ABC warriors reprints. Whilst a fun read, they really have to be seen BIG. I think the 80s collected editions are the only near A4 format? Are the new ones on large page sizes?

Nemesis1.jpg

Oh yes, and the "Melniboneans" as that thread prompted this one look a bit similar:

EC01-13.jpg

ardyer

Damnit, why didn't I know about this comic until it was referenced in the Melnibonean thread the other day? I will have to check this out as it looks pretty awesome. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the political climate in the UK at the time, but there is very little in the US that has the same vibe as stuff like this and Judge Dredd.

Padre

I was a big fan of 2000AD and only recently I think (haven't looked properly yet) I have found an old stash of the comics stuffed in the upper reaches of a wardrobe.

Oh, and the docile looking alien reminds me of the good guys in The Dark Crystal (if that was the film's name).

Erny

Thantsants":2avq0k8f said:
Heresy I know, but does anyone else feel really sorry for the rather docile looking alien? :(

Heresy? That was the point, 2000AD was always written by intelligent people for intelligent people but didn't mind the extra revenue from kids intelligent or otherwise that saw less of the satire either.

You only have to look at the running debate in 80's WD over Dread to see there were two camps appreciating the art.

So perhaps we may add a irreverent and satirical comment on contemporary culture and politics to the list. It was certainly still there in RT, less so now I guess.

bug16

The new reprints aren't A4 in size, they're slightly smaller in terms of height. This means that the artwork isn't as large as the Titan books collections. But, imo, you get a lot of strips for your money with the new collections.

My only gripe with the recent 2000AD collected reprints has been that the paper quality of the colour Judge Anderson PSI Files 2 and 3 is absolutely bloody awful, it's like it's been printed on the cheapest paper they could find.

Thantsants":mb9cs1lp said:
Heresy I know, but does anyone else feel really sorry for the rather docile looking alien? :(

If he didn't want to lose his head - he shouldn't have wandered around being an alien.

That was his first mistake.

Back