Post-Apoc'!

Padre

Back in the early to mid 1980s me and the boys in my street used to play many a wargame with our own modified or made up rules. One of my favourites we called 'Post-Apoc'! We'd watched Mad Max and Planet of the Apes and other such films, played Traveller in low tech or fallen tech worlds, and we'd made every Airfix model around. But there were still Airfix models going cheap in the shops. So we started buying them and turning them into 'Sci Fi' vehicles - grav tanks, space fighters, etc. That's when we started turning the WWII vehicles, mainly trucks, jeeps and halftracks, into Post Apocalypse models.

We used a modified version of Laserburn, or a modified version of the Traveller RP combat system. Sometimes our own rules. It was fun, until Warhammer (equally fun) swallowed all our time and these home-made games fell by the way side.

I've been up the loft to see what I could find. There's LOTS of old stuff up there. Here's a selection of the stuff meant to represent old trucks and such that have been turned into fighting vehicles ...

My favourite of this batch is a spiky Mad max style battle car:
OldPostApocVehicles1_zps3332192b.jpg

Here are some WWII vehicles that we used which weren't really converted (if such stuff was good enough for Hollywood, 'twas good enough for us) :
OldPostApocVehicles2_zps56831301.jpg

Here's one I was surprised to find still in an unfinished state - warhammer must have taken over before this was was fully painted:
OldPostApocVehicles5_zps32d25331.jpg

Here I was drifting into the realm of 'sprew' vehicles. Why waste a good bit of polystyrene sprew?
OldPostApocVehicles3_zpsf2d2e5a6.jpg

And here's another sprew-tastic effort:
OldPostApocVehicles4_zpsfd026e5d.jpg

I suppose I did later return to such activities when I became caught up with the D6 Star Wars RP - an absolutely wonderful system that I would still play today if I had time and a group. I was always someone who, even when running combats in roleplaying games, wanted actual physical representations of figures and vehicles. I still do - when I run WFRP I have a figure for everything. Thus my stupidly large collection of toys.

D'you reckon the vehicles above look a bit 'Orky' in the WH40K sense? Never played any GW sci fi myself, but these do seem like the sort of thing I've seen in the shops of old.

Well these are unique pieces. I have a soft spot for WWII vehicles and a soft spot for Mad Max...I am sold!

These would be splendid models for the GorkaMorka rules methinks. They are crying out for some infantry models hanging on for dear life :grin: .

Padre

I used to use 15mm figures (Tabeletop Games & some Traveller figures that came in 20s in lovely little boxes) for these figures. The gun turrets always had to be big enough to fir the figures' bases! Have yet to find the figures in the loft - they are there somewhere. I used them only a few years again for SW RP.

Meanwhile I forgot to photograph this pair - halftracks. I love halftracks. One is a fuel carrier (a vital component in most Post Apoc' scenarios - you remember Mad Max's constant scrabble for fuel, yeah?) and the other is carrying a piece of artillery. Coolio!

OldPostApocVehicles6_zpsf855108c.jpg

Great idea. I love them. Look really like Mad Max or similar direkt to VHS movies back then in the 80s.
Looks like an great idea. Somewhere I must have my copy of Dark Future....you bring back memories

Back