Retro video games?

SamusDrake

LOL, I came here to get away from video games! But seriously, Anything from the ZX Spectrum to todays 3DS...I can't stop playing! Currently doing some Megadrive programming and a casual run through of Megaman X2 for the SNES. Its hard as balls but I'm in the post Maverick levels now.

Fondest games over the years are many, but NightBreed( Speccy ), Gauntlet( Speccy, Megadrive), Tie-Fighter( PC ), Panzer Dragoon Saga( Saturn ) all spring to mind. Oh, SOTN is definitely a masterpiece of gaming.

Keeping it tabletop related, does anyone remember this awesome intro for Space Hulk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMv5gN7u94

UrchinJoe

Count me in for retro video game chat. I grew up in a very small village, so to be honest I was primarily a video game player, and collected miniatures to paint them. It's only in my 30s that I've taken up traditional gaming, and still I've only ever played one game of 40K. So for me, video games scratched the same itch that tabletop did for most people here.

I was (and still am) a big SEGA fan; I've got one of each console (even the much-maligned 32X). SEGA always seemed to have something of the subversive and counter-culture about them, much like Games Workshop did at the time. One of my all-time favourite games is Golden Axe Warrior on the Master System. It wasn't particularly well known I don't think, but a Zelda clone set in the world of Golden Axe hits pretty much all the right buttons for me! I remember mapping the whole game on paper with my dad, back in the very early 90s.

Since then I've picked up most of the Nintendo systems (no Switch, and only a couple of their many handhelds), an original XBox, PSX and PS2, a broken Atari 2600, a Neo Geo CD, and the weirdest entry in my collection: a Panasonic 3DO. As far as I know, the 3DO was the only console to get a release of the original Alone in the Dark - and it's said to be the only good game on that platform!

Right now almost everything is in storage. I'm working overseas a lot, and I've agreed with my wife that I won't turn the living room into a mess of cables (on top of the mess of painting supplies). One day I'll unbox everything, set it all up, and then spend some time re-exploring some worlds.

I almost forgot this thread existed.

Yeah I've also discovered I love early Sega stuff. I've been enjoying the classic collection that's now available on Steam -- in particular, Golden Axe, Golden Axe II, Golden Axe III and Altered Beast.

Berkut666

As mentioned previously my good lady wife got me one the modern Mega Drive minis a few xmas back. However we recently bought one of the Sega Classics bundles for the switch. Its a really nice concept. Front screen is a fake bedroom, and you can save the games as your playing which massively helps me with limited time.

Also, and I am going against the Sega love on here - Mario Kart for the win. I have managed to convince my oldest son (he is 11) that I am an ex-world champion.....

Thanks to the Sega Classics range, I've very recently discovered the Streets of Rage series; my sons and I have been really enjoying those!

Stormbringer":34ryl2gq said:
Thanks to the Sega Classics range, I've very recently discovered the Streets of Rage series; my sons and I have been really enjoying those!

The music on it's own is great. Love the no nonsense approach to the streets of rage series of games. Could spend many hours playing SOR1 or SOR2.

SOR4 is surprisingly faithful to the series despite not being retro.

Back