What else do you collect?

The place to discuss everthing retro : OSR, Fantasy Figthing books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:57 am

What else do you collect?

Hi all,

Not sure if there already exists a thread like this here... Just wondered what else the Oldhammerers here collect in addition to old lead?
Speaking for myself I am heavily into vintage (1977- '85) Kenner Star Wars figures and ships, with a special focus on the ROTJ range (both loose and carded figures). I also collect the old Nintendo Game&Watch handheld consoles ( http://www.gameandwatch.com/ ), although I limit myself to the wide- and multiscreen games.
I have always loved LEGO, so I thought as long as I have space in my glass cabinet I'd try collecting the favourite sets from way back when, limiting myself to a few sets from the City/space/castle ranges. Will have to get some pictures up I guess...

Martin
Last edited by vintagephreak on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:04 am

Re: What else do you collect?

I do collect comics too, all sorts, Manga, US (and UK) comics, french "bande dessinée",... I've slowed a bit lately (maybe because I tend to spend a bit more on old lead since I registered here ^^' ) and with my models and 5 libraries full of books, I'm the one taking the more space in the house (even beating the wife's shoe collection :? ).

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:33 am

That's funny Vintagephreak cause my girlfriend at the time and I used to collect (the new) Hasbro Star Wars toys and my pride of that stuff is Jabba and all the aliens, denizens etc from that sequence.
I have a couple of ships and a heap of the other figures and stuff but I'm not too sure why I bought all that stuff now, it's all in storage and I'd like to get rid of pretty much everything except the Jabbas' Palace gear.

I loved Robotech as a kid and was right into the Palladium RPGs- I have a small but nice collection of (unbuilt) Macross kits and some Valkyries/Veritechs and figurines-I mainly go for the Zentreadi stuff.
I have built and painted a command ship (Khyron's) that I should photograph and an awesome "walking Minmay doll" like in the show but that's in storage at the moment.

I was also really into TMNT and once again Palladium's RPGs and have a nice little collection of the original figures, just core characters really.

I also have a fair bit of Lego, mainly the original Pirate stuff from the late 80's (including the 2 original ships) and castle stuff all complete and in good nick still.

I bought a few 25th anniversary GI Joes a couple of years ago too, and I have a good slew of classic G1 Transformers or recent ones in the old style (once again, core characters)
R.I.P. Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus

My blog http://leadoralivebruno.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/enter-bruno.html

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 pm

I used to collect alot of things, Books/DVD/CD's/Band T-shirts. Those all died away as I've spent more time with toys.

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Hoarders, all of us ;) For me it's comics and more that my kids are old enough, legos again.

You'll hate this story then. I had quite a large collection of the original star wars figures and vehicles while growing up. But in 1988, out house was damaged by a hurricane, taking all my star wars stuff, except for a solitary Chewbacca action figure.

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:33 pm

My family are natural hoarders.. I have collected a lot of stuff over the year but lead has gradually pushed the rest out. The only other collections I have now are some old mtg sets in storage and a large White Wolf rpg set. I have around 80%+ of them now and when I'm not spending free cash on lead it goes onto books.
I have even traded minis and mtg cards for more books in the past...

MD
Visit my blog of 1st-3rd edition fantasy minis and some rogue trader stuff at some point
http://wargamingwithleadferraris.blogspot.co.uk/
I will be posting weekly in theory..

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Oh, and I have the full, late 1990's Star Wars customizable card game sets from Decipher. If anybody here knows what they are. ..

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:40 pm

vintagephreak wrote:Oh, and I have the full, late 1990's Star Wars customizable card game sets from Decipher. If anybody here knows what they are. ..

I know those!
Coincided well with the release of the "special edition" films

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Well, other than old White Dwarf and Dragon magazines, along with other RPG, fantasy boardgames and wargame rulesets, Fighting Fantasy books... not sure I actually collect these, I read them, play them, when I buy them as long as they aren't really trash or written in, I'm not going for Near Mint condition. Magazines do get bagged and boarded tho.

I do have a couple of boxes of mostly 90s comics but I don't actively collect them, there are a few gaps in my TMNT set (1-3) and in my Sandman set.
Keep Kalm and Pass Kool Tests.

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:23 pm

vintagephreak wrote:Oh, and I have the full, late 1990's Star Wars customizable card game sets from Decipher. If anybody here knows what they are. ..

Hehe I completely forgot about those. I have most of them too. I stopped really collecting at reflections though as it was getting silly. I did get a lot of the later cards still but they should not have gone into the new movies...

MD
Visit my blog of 1st-3rd edition fantasy minis and some rogue trader stuff at some point
http://wargamingwithleadferraris.blogspot.co.uk/
I will be posting weekly in theory..
Next

Return to Retro Discussions