Favourite Oldschool Fantasy Artist?

Russ Nicholson - The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Warhammer Armies featuring the actual citadel figures in action.

His Rogue Trader stuff is also not too shabby

lenihan

In terms of people with an actual connection to GW, love Russ Nicholson's Fighting Fantasy work more than anything else I've seen.

But going beyond that... is Arthur Rackham too oldschool?

020107-01.jpg

Odin.jpg

sea-serpent-400.jpg

McDeath

Mahwell skel":1ks9r3k7 said:
Russ Nicholson - The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Warhammer Armies featuring the actual citadel figures in action.

Beautiful work - Simply beautiful.

fmi1979

It is difficult to pick from the many talented artists from GW, but my all time fav is Gary Chalk (although I am very partial to Paul Bonner). His illustrations from Talisman are the only reason I continue to play the game.

I'll second Erny on this one, Angus McBride's art was/is fantastic.

When I was a young'n I never knew who was responsible for those awesome LOTR paintings, but IMHO they're really some of the most evocative interpretations of Tolkien's imagination ever produced.

The swamp monster one was used on a cover of a GM magazine...... loved it too. I used to try to imagine which was the most likely way that he would go about ending that poor soul's life in the boat would be.

Thanks for the heads up on this artist Erny.

Rob_S

optimus":399x0akj said:

When I was a young'n I never knew who was responsible for those awesome LOTR paintings, but IMHO they're really some of the most evocative interpretations of Tolkien's imagination ever produced.

The swamp monster one was used on a cover of a GM magazine...... loved it too. I used to try to imagine which was the most likely way that he would go about ending that poor soul's life in the boat would be.

What, no love for Gary Chalk?

proxy

Rob_S":13cmbn0w said:
optimus":13cmbn0w said:

What, no love for Gary Chalk?

proxy

Not when you show me a retarded illustration like that!

His stuff is "ok", a bit too cartoony for my liking.

phreedh

optimus":1kz3jmth said:

Thems are fighting words where I come from! :mad: ;)

Blue in VT

phreedh":1lxconwr said:
optimus":1lxconwr said:

Thems are fighting words where I come from! :mad: ;)

Agreed! He may not be my favorite but Chalk Screams Oldhammer to me...Also I think that I unconsciously attempt to emulate his amazingly vivid colors in my painting style...which I would describe as "cartoony"....and I describe it that way with pride! 8-)

Maybe a more colorful example will convince people...?

Cheers,

Blue

Attachments

• tumblr_lu8yhl1kam1r1g40zo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lu8yhl1kam1r1g40zo1_500.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 3,620
Magos Explorator":1b98o1tn said:
My bookshelves are already creaking under the weight of art books... now I have more to add to my list. :)

I don't think he did any stuff for GW, but I've loved Tony Diterlizzi's work since seeing his Planescape illustrations: http://diterlizzi.com/home/

Di'Terlizzi is one of my favorite artists too. He did a bunch of art for some magic cards back in the older days as well. Lots of them look like they'd fit right in a Planescape book.

Horned-Turtle-9_5x12.jpg

I think my favorite artist is Kev Walker though. He has a couple drawings of tanks near the back of one of the Realm of Chaos books but I think most of his best stuff was on magic cards.

541_silvermyr_mrd.jpg

Just talking about Warhammer artists though, I'd go with Ian Miller. His artwork in the Realm of Chaos books is so impressive. They remind me of "The Gates of Hell" by Auguste Rodin. So wild and twisted and crazy and demonic and so very detailed.

Capture_zps8ea2c45c.png

If I remember, once mine comes then I'll post my thoughts here.

(I have a half-dozen or so art books by various fantasy artists - with a GW bias - find them really inspirational, especially for paint schemes and basing.)

Hetz

I'm taking oldschool to mean GW/Citadel artists. Always loved Russ Nicholson's and Paul Bonner's art. Gary Harrod's stuff was brilliant.

Cormorin

McDeath":bplnroiu said:
Mahwell skel":bplnroiu said:

Beautiful work - Simply beautiful.

This is the only site I have found that has this picture by Russ N.

I would like to get a large print but not sure if it’s possible.

Anyone know any site that may sell prints. Russ N site doesn’t.

Caradepato

We've talked about the great Baur, but another great scandinavian artist (this time from Norway) is Theodor Kittelsen.
artist-kittelsen-nokken.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

the-forest-troll-theodor-kittelsen.jpg

Back