Favourite Oldschool Fantasy Artist?

McDeath

Flicking through those old white dwarves and rules book, admiring the artwork of those talented guys is always a favourite pass-time of mine.

So, who's your favourite Oldshool fantasy artist? (and why)...

Asslessman

Early Blanche till the end of 3rd ed, there was a visions in those and it was going in lots of ways, his take on the 40k universe with confrontation is also splendid. Though I love the graphism of his work after that, I think it became a bit more "monotone" with always the same colours, subjects and Grim Darkness (making everything religious in some way)

Jes Goodwin, though his sculpting his top-notch, his drawing is on par too, his space hulk/40k drawings are so evocative

Adrian Smith, first he's got the same name as the Iron maiden guitarist and that has to count for something and 2nd : He was the best drawer of both RoC tomes. His ability to capture teh essence of any race or setting he draws for is just mind blowing. Hi schaos is perfect, his orks are brilliant, his tyrannids are unrivaled and his eldar have the perfect fragile/deadly ratio...

I know it's not all about fantasy but hey, what's the difference?

If I remember right, we had a poll on this very subject some time ago no?

McDeath

For me it would have to be Boris Vallejo - I used to drool over his artwork and wonder how anyone could be so talented. His work captures everything that's good about Oldschool Fantasy....

Asslessman

Huum soryy, once again, I didn't read properly the title, I was stuck on GW related fantasy artist, now if you tell me in general, the god of illustration is simply Simon Bisley,
All his work on Slaine, Dredd or Lobbo are just awesome

Favourite illustration : Balor

The_Best_HD_HQ_Hi-Res_Wallpapers_Collection_-_Fantasy_Art_by_tonyx__1300_pictures-746.jpg_simon_bisley_slaine_4.jpg

Zhu Bajie

At the moment I'm looking at more Roger Dean

18-Roger-Dean-Icarus.jpg

Relayer1680x1050.jpg

Bisley is great, but for me his B&W work on the ABC Warriors and Nemesis is unparalleled.

tumblr_m8lp4qfLI41rtjmi5o1_1280.jpg

Blue in VT

My favorite has to be Paul Bonner...his black and white drawings were my all time favorites in GW history...in particular his drawings included the style and design of figures that you could actually put your hands on and recognize...I love that.

Attached is one of my favorite of his

Cheers,

Blue

Attachments

• scruntforce_blog.jpg
    scruntforce_blog.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 4,056

Just John

Bisley for me too, I wonder is it a nostalgia thing as well. 2000AD was the first 'serious' sci-fi comic I read and it was at the time of his work on Nemesis, the ABC warriors and Sláine. I often think this is much the same reason I still have a soft spot for Joe Colquhoun after growing up with Charley's War and Johnny Red.

Edit - that John Bauer stuff is great Phreedh, very ethereal.

Erny

Can I wimp out and say all of the above?

If push came to shove I think the world would be a lesser place if Angus McBride had never existed.

20060606170340686.jpg

GetImage

Eowyn.jpg

tumblr_m8al3n6OZY1r2s3h9o1_1280.jpg

Rolemaster+2e+Box.jpg

I'll stop now.

Jeff McC

I'd have to go with Ian Miller, particularly for warhammer inspiration. Also a big fan of Angus McBride, and the picture of Eowyn and the Nazgul in particular.

My bookshelves are already creaking under the weight of art books... now I have more to add to my list. :)

I don't think he did any stuff for GW, but I've loved Tony Diterlizzi's work since seeing his Planescape illustrations: http://diterlizzi.com/home/

Here's a few images of his illustrations I found online:

City_Court_by_Tony_Diterlizzi-02611_(1995)_TSR_AD&D_2ed_Planescape-The_Factol-s_Manifesto.jpg

DiTerlizzi-Elysium.jpg

ps_ms_008a.jpg

1091_2.jpg

Back