Red Dwarf X

Orlygg

Late '80s early '90s, sir?

Realm of Chaos books?

Hair cut like Bryan Ansell in Warhammer Armies, guv?

You must have watched Red Dwarf then, surely? Viewing the re-runs and the new episode its all a bit Rogue Trader!

Other Oldhammerer's opinions on this revamped series?

Thantsants

Dammit - missed it on Thursday, and after watching many of the reruns at the weekends! :mad:

I loved Red Dwarf, although drew the line at wearing a Smeghead Tshirt to our after school Wargames club (unlike some of my geekier mates at the time!).

I wonder how they have reconciled Rimmer's apparent aging since he's supposed to be a hologram?

Its surprising how many relatively high-brow Sci-fi tropes and ideas the series tackled over the years - in a completely daft and irreverent way of course.

That and jokes about vindaloo and sexual inadequacy :lol:

Zhu Bajie

I loved it back in the day, but I don't think its aged well, and the reboot fell a bit flat. A bit "Last of the Summer Wine - in Spaaaaaace!"

Shame GW had gone off the idea of licensed ranges, as they'd have been great minis.

The double-page spread of the GW staff in Rogue Trader - feels very, very Red Dwarfy, with the humour and grunge and personalities.

bug16

I started watching Red Dwarf when season one first showed and loved every season until season 7 which was pretty much crap all the way through, season 8 had it's moments but it was very average. Back to earth was an abomination that I try to pretend doesn't exist. So, you can imagine what I was thinking season X would be like! I didn't get a chance to watch it until Friday and work collegues had already given it mixed reviews from "Great to see it back!" to "I hope it improves".

Apart from one gag, I sat there completely poker faced for the entire episode wondering when it would improve. It looks great but beyond that it was as entertaining as season 7. I.e. dreadfully unfunny. The comedy feels forced, the gags are tired, the internal logic of the episode failed to convince, the cast were hamming it up, Lister acts out of character, etc etc.

All in all it's about as funny as new episodes of The Simpson. I.e. everything is there to be liked but it's just not funny. :(

phreedh

Haven't watched the new series, but was a devout follower of both series and books when they first aired. As many others I lost interest when Grant Naylor started breaking up, Rimmer left and Kochanski was added.

Agree that it hasn't aged well but there's plenty of comedy classics in the earlier stuff. I watched Firefly recently and many times thought of similarities with Red Dwarf. If you haven't seen Firefly please go ahead and watch it!

Favourite quote? There are many, but the one I return to all the time is "Nice and oniony...", as in "Nice corn flakes. Nice and oniony!". Also Kryten's fantastic "Sir, I suggest we ambulate as fast as local gravity will allow!".

bug16

I still rewatch seasons 1-6 about once a year with seasons 1 and 2 being my favourite, I love the humour with Holly on those seasons.

Favourite quote? I can't even think where to begin because there are so many! :)

Chico

Arhhh along with Bottom and Young Ones, Red Dwarf is my favourite TV series :) Oh and that first series X ep had me in stitches.

Orlygg

Favourite quotes?

'Spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!'

'You're as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican!'

The first page of the Bible skit!

bug16

I don't think my wife can manage going through a single day without asking me "Do you want some toast?" in the talkie toaster accent at breakfast.

Chico

Toaster: Howdy doodly do. How's it going? I'm Talkie, Talkie Toaster, your chirpy breakfast companion. Talkie's the name, toasting's the game. Anyone like any toast?
Lister: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast. In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. No toast.
Toaster: How 'bout a muffin?
Lister: Or muffins. We don't like muffins around here. We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and definitely no smegging flapjacks.
Toaster: Aah, so you're a waffle man.

Thantsants

Nice :lol:

Wasn't there a talking toilet that tried to volunteer its services everytime Lister said crap?

God help us with all these quotes (funny though they are!) if anyone starts a Monty Python thread...

Lands Annex

I agree with Bug16, the first two series were fantastic, with 3-5 being the ones that if you hadn't seen them on the night they were aired it wasn't worth going to school the next day for fear of being vilified as some sort of uncool heathen. Everything else started to slide after that. My fave episode is the one where they all wake up with monster hangovers and Lister and Cat both have broken feet. Thanks for the memories?

Chico

Heh arhhhh love that one. I really like Rimmerworld and Wax World, or Only the Good...

reddwarf.jpg

Back to Reality is my favourite episode by far. Wasn't too sold on X, it did seem very forced but it was an improvement over Back to Earth which was pretty bloody abysmal.

tp_1983

I used to rush home from scouts to make sure I didn't miss it every week (well every week it was on, which in my memory has been transmogriphied into every week).

Back to Earth almost made me cry, I only got about half way through the second episode before I gave up. It was like watching someone shit on my Thomas the Tank books.

Series X though was great. I've got my fingers crossed for series XI.

Back