Elves during 3rd edition

How were Elves portrayed in Warhammer during its third edition? There was already a lot of background in 5th edition's High Elf army book, but my impression of older Warhammer (such as the fun-looking multiplayer scenario Orc's Drift) is of a much more vague and decisively less restrictive Elf background.

Also, how pronounced was the split into current day's three factions?

Were Elves (and Dwarfs) already in decline of doom in 3rd edition background? Or were their place in the world more open to such things as decent future prospects? My brother have wondered about this in particular, since both he and I find the doomed thing about Dwarfs and Elves irritating and belittling to any fantasy world background. Let's face it: Elves and Dwarfs may come with a history of shrunken empires in the past, but they're still much more interesting if there are ups which allows them to act like a proper actor on the stage of fantasy imperial competition.

lenihan

I think one of the things I like about early Warhammer is that the world is not very clearly fleshed out; this leaves proper scope for individual storytelling, and means that we don't have to cede our storytelling to any particular company. That said, I think having now read 3rd ed materials, its clear that the IP rot was beginning to set in by that time. So Ulthuan is pretty clearly fleshed out, for example. However, one notable difference is the existance of sea elves (the high elves who are more active and like to sail around), and they give the elves of Ulthuan a much clearer presence in the old world, because they exist significant number in the Empire's ports and are a reminder of the fact that elves still rule the waves.

Hmm, I'm probably not the best person to answer this, as GW's fluff puts me to sleep a bit. I've always been a High Elves player, though, and I think the main difference I can spot is the sea elves. There's probably not as much of a sense of "we're all doomed", but that might just be because not as much had been written about them.

Thantsants

Haven't read the World History bit of the 3rd ed. rule book for a while so I'm a bit hazy on the actual background.

As far as I can remember Ulthuan is mapped out and Wood Elves are a separate entity and , like Lenihan says, the Sea Elves are around, providing High Elves with transport as well as various troop types and Bolt Throwers.

The High/Sea Elves crop up in Lustria as adventurers, merchants and even tourists - Riolta Snow in The Magnificent Sven - although that was 2nd ed.

As was Orc's Drift! There does seem to be a more "Elves is Elves" approach in 2nd ed. What I like about Orc's Drift is that it's all set in the colonial kingdom of Ramalia - somewhere vaguely North and near the Chaos Wastes so it can exist separately from any restrictive story arc that the background decrees Elves should follow. Here the Grand League is ruled over by a Half Elf King who seems to keep all the potential squabbling between his Human, Elf and Dwarf subjects down. With his assassination it all goes to pot of course.

I don't think Wood Elves are actually mentioned, although the Elves of Kachas Pass have made the Fendal Forest their home and are pretty handy with a bow and travelling through woods.

Brommedir's bows, as pictured in your link, are regular troops in the Grand Leagues army - they're just Elves. I decided to paint mine to echo the colours of the British Army uniforms from the Boer and Zulu Wars as that is what the whole scenario is punning on - also gives them a slightly less High/Wood Elf look to I suppose.

I don't remember much about the Elves being in decline or doomed rather than just being overtaken in terms of trade, exploration and population by the more energetic Human nations.

Whitesun

Elves in 3rd Ed had the option to co-opt wardancers in the army, which was a nice, if somewhat OP bit.
It did allow a more colourful army though, and gave some flexibility.

Liked that subsequent editions added new units to Elves, but wish they didn't remove some as well. Miss the beastmasters, sea elves, guard units etc. Would have been so awesome to be able to field everything I have! lol

I would have loved to see a ridiculous amount of units available to each army, and leave the players to tinker and field as they please. Almost no conflict is fought fair anyway, but I digress...

3rd Ed elves had soul I suppose. Seemed to have more depth, and oddly, less generic then the Elves we have today.

bug16

Whitesun":17586vi1 said:
3rd Ed elves had soul I suppose. Seemed to have more depth, and oddly, less generic then the Elves we have today.

I think you could say that about all of the armies tbh. :)

Back