Robin of Sherwood

Zhu Bajie

Anyone remember this series from the early 80s? I loved it as a kid, lots of magic and mysticism and fighting in the woods and stuff.

robin-of-sherwood-complete-series-free-shipping-82082.jpg

Currently watching though the DVD box set, and it still stands up (although the 80s hair makes it a bit retro). It's quite influential as t'was the first adaptation to have a moor as part of the team. Can't help but think it heavily influenced the style and background of Scarlocs wood elf archers (link to long rambling blog post) and there are probably some other seeds of inspiration from there too.

Thinking a skirmish campaign based on the series might be fun...

Thantsants

Might have been a bit young possibly - don't remember any particular episodes, although I do recognise some of the actors vaguely.

Mind you having checked out a bit of The Swords of Wayland I could get well into it - what an opening sequence! :twisted:

Funny that I've never really associated Skarloc's Merry Band with Robin Hood - obvious now having read your blog post :roll:

I love all that Horned hunter stuff - read some very good books as a kid like The Wild Hunt of Hagworthy, Hounds of the Morrigan and all of Alan Garner's work.

Definitely some campaign ideas to be had here...

Zhu Bajie

Oooh - Alan Garner is great. Although I've only read his Alderley Edge books (and quite recently too), will definitely chase down the Hagworthy book.

Yeah - the Swords of Wayland is the most cinematic of the episodes - its a 2 parter, and it feels very much like a good Hammer movie, but it's worth getting to know the characters through the series.

I might be Father Ted-ing myself in a moment, but it looks like the whole series of Robin of Sherwood is on youtube Episode 1

Thantsants

Careful now!

I thought of mentioning it - its where I caught sight of those Satanist knights - but thought the same as you.

The chap who's posted them seems to be exhorting everyone to go and buy the DVD's though, so I guess that makes it all ok! :lol:

treps

I didn't heard of this series before but now, based on what I just read about it, I'm waiting for a parcel from amazon...

Bruno

Just John

I used to watch this religiously as a kid - I suppose it helped that Clannad were the band that did the music and being Irish I was forced to grow up on them too :grin: (Ok that last bit was an exageration) Myself and my cousins used to watch it and then recreate the battle using various bits of firewood as swords, staves, bows etc....

Ti Pouchon

I do remember watching that show - can't recall any plot but I do remember the moody soundtrack and Robin dying in the last episode. It was brilliant!

phreedh

It didn't air in Sweden (not that I can remember) but I vividly remember renting it on video. Thanks for the flashback! =D Don't remember much of the actual series though, except for the lead chap's hair!

Skarsnik

I remember watching this every Saturday night.

Wasn't there a change of actor playing Robin at some point? I'm sure I remember him going from blonde to dark hair.

Good times!

Zhu Bajie

Ah cool stuff. Just watched Richard "Rocky Horror / Crystal Maze" Brian surrounded by skulls, summon an illusionary demonic village to wreak revenge on the Merry Men.

images

It was a toss up, buy/watch RoS based on a dim recollection of the series or A Game of Thrones (which I haven't seen at all), think I made the right decision!

Just John

I think the actor change was a way of continuing the series after this Robin died and headed off to 'Dynasty' and another Robin took his place. Kinda a medieval version of what happens to Robin in the Batman comics :grin:

Masp

It was not air in France like Sweden but it's interesting to see where the Skarlocs are probably coming from (I'm a big Glam's fan, my favorite mini of all times)

thanks for sharing it

Mericanach

Loved this show when it was on TV, made sure the DVDs came with me when I moved to the US. Still watch it every so often, and listen to 'Legend' while painting, driving or reading.

I don't do the last three at the same time. Honest.

Just John":2qh7ctg1 said:
I used to watch this religiously as a kid
That!
I was watching it when I was about 5-6 years young (I guess) and that time it was the only fantasy-based TV show here.
Not mentioning Dynasty that is :|
We were pretty f*cked those days here in Poland - the democracy was fresh born and there were other, more important things to care about than TV.

About 4 years ago I spotted RoS DVD at my friend's place. I borrowed the stuff, equipped myself with some beers abd was trying to bring back old times.
Sadly I was very disapointed with the show - no magic of the old times anymore :(

EDIT:
Just read Robert Addie (Sir Guy of Gisbourne) died in 2003 :(
He was such a cool bada$$ character.

An old boss of mine used to be obsessed with this show. I think he felt it told him how to live his life in some deep seated moralistic code kind of sense.

Certainly gave him some character. Sadly he retired and got replaced buy some kind of organic computer so I left.

Krimson

Picked up the full boxed set on DVD a while ago at a car boot sale, was, and still am, an big fan, used some of the plot lines when it was first aired in many an RPG.

Having watched the DVD's over and over i would love to play a few skirmish games based around the series, can anyone recommend some suitable figures? Most of the Robin hood figures around seem to be based on the classic 'Errol Flynn' movie and so don't really work, so any advice would be welcome.

Zhu Bajie

Good question!

I'm painting up a mixture of Red Box Games Aenglish and Alfar as the merry men. We'll I say painting, they're being stripped because I didn't like what I did.

Marion:
RBG%20Avalonian%20Berochlene.JPG

Robin:
RBG%20Avalonian%20Rothmartyn.JPG

Tuck
Vlado%20Fergus%20V1.jpg

and will be getting some Thunderbolt Mountain for the Normans:

3037_1024x1024.gif

http://www.thunderboltmountain.com
http://red-box-games.com/index.php?main ... x&cPath=21

These are the best match I've found, and well, Tom Meier and Tre' Manor, can't go wrong :)

Oh yea.. and if you can hide or ignore the pointy ears, Scarlocs wood elf archers make good merry men imho.

Krimson

Thank you for the advice, I admit I had not come across either range before, they certainly look the part, seem well sculpted and cast and I will be investigatine further for sure!

fuljason

Excellent subject, I have just finished watching it again on ITV Encore channel although they messed the order up a bit, The Swords of Wayland is probably my most favourite episode, the hounds of Satan are how I imagine Chaos Warriors, the ending scene still gives me goosebumps, the later series with Jason Connery were not as good for me. Funny enough I saw Michael Praed in the musical show of DDirty Rotten Scoundrels a few weeks ago and he was brilliant.
J

Back