Robin of Sherwood

The place to discuss everthing retro : OSR, Fantasy Figthing books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 am

Robin of Sherwood

Anyone remember this series from the early 80s? I loved it as a kid, lots of magic and mysticism and fighting in the woods and stuff.

Currently watching though the DVD box set, and it still stands up (although the 80s hair makes it a bit retro). It's quite influential as t'was the first adaptation to have a moor as part of the team. Can't help but think it heavily influenced the style and background of Scarlocs wood elf archers (link to long rambling blog post) and there are probably some other seeds of inspiration from there too.

Thinking a skirmish campaign based on the series might be fun...

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:32 am

Re: Robin of Sherwood

Might have been a bit young possibly - don't remember any particular episodes, although I do recognise some of the actors vaguely.

Mind you having checked out a bit of The Swords of Wayland I could get well into it - what an opening sequence! :twisted:

Funny that I've never really associated Skarloc's Merry Band with Robin Hood - obvious now having read your blog post :roll:

I love all that Horned hunter stuff - read some very good books as a kid like The Wild Hunt of Hagworthy, Hounds of the Morrigan and all of Alan Garner's work.

Definitely some campaign ideas to be had here...

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Oooh - Alan Garner is great. Although I've only read his Alderley Edge books (and quite recently too), will definitely chase down the Hagworthy book.

Yeah - the Swords of Wayland is the most cinematic of the episodes - its a 2 parter, and it feels very much like a good Hammer movie, but it's worth getting to know the characters through the series.

I might be Father Ted-ing myself in a moment, but it looks like the whole series of Robin of Sherwood is on youtube Episode 1

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Careful now!

I thought of mentioning it - its where I caught sight of those Satanist knights - but thought the same as you.

The chap who's posted them seems to be exhorting everyone to go and buy the DVD's though, so I guess that makes it all ok! :lol:

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:12 pm

I didn't heard of this series before but now, based on what I just read about it, I'm waiting for a parcel from amazon...

Bruno
Buy new miniatures with an oldschool feel on http://vialudibunda.com

Grand Buffoon of the Highest Order

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:16 pm

I used to watch this religiously as a kid - I suppose it helped that Clannad were the band that did the music and being Irish I was forced to grow up on them too :D (Ok that last bit was an exageration) Myself and my cousins used to watch it and then recreate the battle using various bits of firewood as swords, staves, bows etc....

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 pm

I do remember watching that show - can't recall any plot but I do remember the moody soundtrack and Robin dying in the last episode. It was brilliant!
ImageImageImage

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:31 pm

It didn't air in Sweden (not that I can remember) but I vividly remember renting it on video. Thanks for the flashback! =D Don't remember much of the actual series though, except for the lead chap's hair!

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:19 pm

I remember watching this every Saturday night.

Wasn't there a change of actor playing Robin at some point? I'm sure I remember him going from blonde to dark hair.

Good times!

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am

Ah cool stuff. Just watched Richard "Rocky Horror / Crystal Maze" Brian surrounded by skulls, summon an illusionary demonic village to wreak revenge on the Merry Men.

It was a toss up, buy/watch RoS based on a dim recollection of the series or A Game of Thrones (which I haven't seen at all), think I made the right decision!
Next

Return to Retro Discussions