Robin of Sherwood

The place to discuss everthing retro : OSR, Fantasy Figthing books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Grand Buffoon of the Highest Order

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Robin of Sherwood

I think the actor change was a way of continuing the series after this Robin died and headed off to 'Dynasty' and another Robin took his place. Kinda a medieval version of what happens to Robin in the Batman comics :D

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 am

It was not air in France like Sweden but it's interesting to see where the Skarlocs are probably coming from (I'm a big Glam's fan, my favorite mini of all times)

thanks for sharing it
Thanks for reading my broken english :D

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Loved this show when it was on TV, made sure the DVDs came with me when I moved to the US. Still watch it every so often, and listen to 'Legend' while painting, driving or reading.

I don't do the last three at the same time. Honest.
O-lay!

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Just John wrote:I used to watch this religiously as a kid

That!
I was watching it when I was about 5-6 years young (I guess) and that time it was the only fantasy-based TV show here.
Not mentioning Dynasty that is :|
We were pretty f*cked those days here in Poland - the democracy was fresh born and there were other, more important things to care about than TV.

About 4 years ago I spotted RoS DVD at my friend's place. I borrowed the stuff, equipped myself with some beers abd was trying to bring back old times.
Sadly I was very disapointed with the show - no magic of the old times anymore :(

EDIT:
Just read Robert Addie (Sir Guy of Gisbourne) died in 2003 :(
He was such a cool bada$$ character.

Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:01 am

An old boss of mine used to be obsessed with this show. I think he felt it told him how to live his life in some deep seated moralistic code kind of sense.

Certainly gave him some character. Sadly he retired and got replaced buy some kind of organic computer so I left.

Post Tue May 14, 2013 3:32 pm

Picked up the full boxed set on DVD a while ago at a car boot sale, was, and still am, an big fan, used some of the plot lines when it was first aired in many an RPG.

Having watched the DVD's over and over i would love to play a few skirmish games based around the series, can anyone recommend some suitable figures? Most of the Robin hood figures around seem to be based on the classic 'Errol Flynn' movie and so don't really work, so any advice would be welcome.
Krimson

Post Tue May 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Good question!

I'm painting up a mixture of Red Box Games Aenglish and Alfar as the merry men. We'll I say painting, they're being stripped because I didn't like what I did.

Marion:
Robin:
Tuck

and will be getting some Thunderbolt Mountain for the Normans:

http://www.thunderboltmountain.com
http://red-box-games.com/index.php?main ... x&cPath=21

These are the best match I've found, and well, Tom Meier and Tre' Manor, can't go wrong :-)

Oh yea.. and if you can hide or ignore the pointy ears, Scarlocs wood elf archers make good merry men imho.

Post Tue May 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Thank you for the advice, I admit I had not come across either range before, they certainly look the part, seem well sculpted and cast and I will be investigatine further for sure!
Krimson

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:51 pm

Nothing is forgotten...

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:22 pm

Excellent subject, I have just finished watching it again on ITV Encore channel although they messed the order up a bit, The Swords of Wayland is probably my most favourite episode, the hounds of Satan are how I imagine Chaos Warriors, the ending scene still gives me goosebumps, the later series with Jason Connery were not as good for me. Funny enough I saw Michael Praed in the musical show of DDirty Rotten Scoundrels a few weeks ago and he was brilliant.
J
PreviousNext

Return to Retro Discussions