Dwarfs during 3rd edition

They were fairly well established by 3rd as the serious, dour little sods they are now.

I think those figures are more indicative of the studio at the time than the background fluff.

Erny

Not huge amounts of fluff.

Imperial Dwarves represent the remains of the once mighty Dwarven Empire. The, "official", minis for these had an early medieval look to them, all great helms, chain mail and tabards.

Not to be confused with ex-pat Dwarves in the Empire who are mentioned a fair bit in the WHFRP books less so in WFB. However they are easily portraied by using the Dwarvf mercenary list and the marauder Renaissance dwarves.

Norse dwarves are obviously your viking inspired horn helmed dwarves.

Chaos dwarves are your depraved spiky types, usually found up north with the Norse dwarves. Well not with them but fighting them.

Humor found throughout.

Who doesn't love a dwarf knight with a rubber duckie on his helmet.

Blue in VT

I agree with Erny...not a whole lot of restrictive background to be trapped by but enough of a framework to hang a story on....which is just the way I like it. 8-)

I'm personally very much interested in the idea of ex-pat dwarfs living in the empire...Erny can you give me some sources from WFRP that would be useful in this regard?

My entire image for my dwarf collection is of a prosperous city on the fringes of the Empire that has a very heavy interest in mining and has therefore attracted a large number of expat dwarfs. Thus my dwarf army is based around the Marauder Puff and Slash dwarfs (and now WK dwarfs) which represent the City dwarfs that have adopted Empire military technology and Dress (Pike dwarfs, Dwarf "Knights", etc.) as well as use the more traditionally attired dwarf units to represent the dwarfs from the outlying towns and mining communities (Bugman's, Prince Ulthers etc.)

On the subject of Chaos dwarfs...I really like the way that CDs were represented in 3rd ed (and earlier) they were more like mini Chaos Warriors...with similiar armor and weapons...and none of that big hatted bull god loving non-sense of later years. The core of my opp for for my dwarf/empire army is a large warband of Chaos dwarf slavers and their Green Skin minions.

Cheers,

Blue

Zhu Bajie

Mohawked Bezerkers, Chaos Dwarves, Black Powder weapons, Bugmans, War with the Elves, and all the associated background is developed in 2nd.

ardyer

I think the thing to remember about pre-4th edition it's that there wasn't tons of fluff or there, not in the way that there had been since 4th ed. anyways. There might be a white dwarf article or two and a page or two in the Warhammer Armies book. The rest came in snippets scattered through out the product line.

Erny

Blue in VT":34mf38nx said:
I agree with Erny...not a whole lot of restrictive background to be trapped by but enough of a framework to hang a story on....which is just the way I like it. 8-)

I'm personally very much interested in the idea of ex-pat dwarfs living in the empire...Erny can you give me some sources from WFRP that would be useful in this regard?

My entire image for my dwarf collection is of a prosperous city on the fringes of the Empire that has a very heavy interest in mining and has therefore attracted a large number of expat dwarfs. Thus my dwarf army is based around the Marauder Puff and Slash dwarfs (and now WK dwarfs) which represent the City dwarfs that have adopted Empire military technology and Dress (Pike dwarfs, Dwarf "Knights", etc.) as well as use the more traditionally attired dwarf units to represent the dwarfs from the outlying towns and mining communities (Bugman's, Prince Ulthers etc.)

On the subject of Chaos dwarfs...I really like the way that CDs were represented in 3rd ed (and earlier) they were more like mini Chaos Warriors...with similar armor and weapons...and none of that big hatted bull god loving non-sense of later years. The core of my opp for for my dwarf/empire army is a large warband of Chaos dwarf slavers and their Green Skin minions.

Cheers,

Blue

Nice thoughts for your dwarven force Blue, something similar but much smaller exists in DoTR which also includes a bunch of ex-pat dwarven engineers in the service of KF they are building a chain of signal towers. Also worth reading is the Middenheim source book which describes the dwarven quarter of the City of the White Wolf, though that may feature more in PBtT can't quite remember.

The puff and slash costumes come entirely from the Marauder line. There isn't any mention of ex-pats wearing different clothes bu6t it is a nice interpretation and use for the models. Indeed the empire didn't go truly puff and slash until the Perries very late third ed empire overhaul.

phreedh

ardyer":nj2tfo1j said:
I think the thing to remember about pre-4th edition it's that there wasn't tons of fluff or there, not in the way that there had been since 4th ed. anyways. There might be a white dwarf article or two and a page or two in the Warhammer Armies book. The rest came in snippets scattered through out the product line.
Then came the age of the codex/army book, and all of a sudden any given race had the same dull army frame work and the same boring AWESOME special characters.

Back