Karl Franz and the Empire during 3rd edition

Zhu Bajie

Re: Karl Franz during 3rd edition

Erny":2rh2eloo said:
What I don't see is any glaring inconsistency to suggest the two are different worlds.

Granted, the main differences are tonal rather than content.

The Empire army formations Knights Panther, High Helms etc. were in 2nd Edition Ravening Hordes - which according to the Games Workshop Product History Shadows over Bogenhafen was just before that, so no doubt there was an attempt to keep the nomenclature and structure uniform across the products, if not the atmosphere.

Another contrast - Magic for example, is a hugely dangerous activity in WFRP (before all that silly rainbow nonsense came in) yet wizards throw fireballs around the battlefield with very little fear of consequence.

Erny

Fair enough, I guess the atmosphere is subjective, it is present in my games of WHFB but not yours.

BTW my druid in my friends Doomstones campaign used to throw fireballs around all day without ill effect. Similarly the wizards in my TEW campaigns.

Zhu Bajie

Erny":3nyxqzgv said:
Fair enough, I guess the atmosphere is subjective, it is present in my games of WHFB but not yours..

What I'm saying is the atmosphere isn't present in the materials associated with the product line., Of course you can put it there from another product line if you like.

Erny

OK rephrase,

When I read the books I get the atmosphere, it is present for me, dark brooding forests, the enemy within and all that. But the atmosphere it would appear is not there for you. All fine and dandy.

willlucv

How was Emperor Karl Franz portrayed in Warhammer during its third edition? I've heard he didn't become a mighty hero before 4th/5th editions, with their simplified background.

See Drachenfels and Beasts in Velvet both by Kim Newman. These both predate Warhammer Fourth Edition and portray Karl Franz as a kindly good down to earth man, but slightly bored with office and lacking any military skill or aptitude. Like most of Kim Newman's characterisations it is much more rounded and believable than the griffon mounted hero you get in later iterations. Historically few important royals or emperors have allowed or been allowed to risk themselves in the frontlines of battle, although there are exceptions to that rule. Newman treats him much more as a figurehead like modern royals.

Back