Ugliest Old-School Citadel Mini?

Good thread! Some great muck quality sculpts in here so far.

Probably not the ugliest figure in my collection but I recently inherited this model, Citadel Boromir circa 1985:

3738399870_cb823c46de_b.jpg

Aside from the dumb pose the sword is basically like an Egyptian obelisk. I could redo the sword but can't really bring myself to butcher such an early model. I think I will paint it like a big piece of stone on a sword hilt instead as a kind of novel magic "sword".

"Hmm, I like him quite a lot :oops:

It is possible I am biased though..."

Like any ugly sculpt there is always a silver lining of charm in there IMO.

In this case for me it occurs to me that the Borimir model (with its red hair) reminds me of Terry Pratchetts character Captain Carrot. There is definitely plenty of character to like in it. I am planning to use him for a Mordheim/WHFB Norse hero. An Austrian accented opportunistic hero type with an overpowered magic Khemrian stone sword he found in a crypt when running from some wolves.....well you know the drill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh-Morpo ... oundersson

Naagruz

Zhu Bajie":280a3r2p said:
Row 3 - Col 3 - Drakar Deathbringer and the Chainmail Disco Pantaloons of Doom! What's he got on his head? a bell with horns on? and his weapon, some kind of hand whisk. and the shoulder collar? Horrible
Those are nice pants. :shock: Actually, he looks like a predecessor to the Pan-Tangian Infantry.

Don Hans painting aside, the pre-slotta beastman do take the cake. It's kind of surprising you have glop like those produced alongside the RuneQuest Broo that were (and still are) top notch.

I'd throw lots of the early RT stuff into the ugly bucket. RT Ork boxed set, Imperial Army, & early Marines were pretty awkward sculpts.

I'll have to be honest, and say pretty much every Bob Olley figure from that period. The man would put wrinkles on wrinkled wrinkles, so his faces ended up looking like they'd spent six months in a bathtub.

Naagruz

dieselmonkey":chyv3cbr said:
I'll have to be honest, and say pretty much every Bob Olley figure from that period. The man would put wrinkles on wrinkled wrinkles, so his faces ended up looking like they'd spent six months in a bathtub.
Heresy! Bob just takes sculpting up a notch.
Bob's sculpts, like Marauder sculpts, are definitely not for everyone. I'm an Olley nut, but I get it why people don't get Olley. ;)

Naagruz":1m6tylgc said:
dieselmonkey":1m6tylgc said:
Heresy! Bob just takes sculpting up a notch.
Bob's sculpts, like Marauder sculpts, are definitely not for everyone. I'm an Olley nut, but I get it why people don't get Olley. ;)

Yeah, i know they're definitely a 'Marmite' thing. Oddly, i quite like his current Scrunts, just not his old stuff.

Personally, I love the early Marauder stuff, but then I was their mail order guy for a while, so I didn't have much choice in the matter. :lol:

Zhu Bajie

Naagruz":4zah08e4 said:
Zhu Bajie":4zah08e4 said:
Row 3 - Col 3 - Drakar Deathbringer and the Chainmail Disco Pantaloons of Doom! What's he got on his head? a bell with horns on? and his weapon, some kind of hand whisk. and the shoulder collar? Horrible
Those are nice pants. :shock: Actually, he looks like a predecessor to the Pan-Tangian Infantry.

You're right, and I actually like a lot of the Pan Tangian designs, just not the pantaloon ones with axes :lol:

Asslessman

Really? I don't get it... :o :shock:

If you'd told me this one,

ept4.jpg

I would undertsand but a nice Goodwin titan...
Wel it's all a metter of taste...

Naagruz

Asslessman":20ycu2mg said:
dieselmonkey":20ycu2mg said:
Phlegmforlorn":20ycu2mg said:
Eldar Knight ( to the game Epic), worst mini ever

Oh C'mon, what's wrong with 'My Little Eldar'? :lol:

Forgive them Jes, for they don't know what they are saying... :grin:
Knights, Exodites, & pretty much anything Epic Eldar always struck me as odd; kind of like Hello Kitty or garden gnomes.
Those new Eldar Titans suffered from the same boxy segmentation as the new Gargants. I blame Tetris, '80s-'90s Volvos, & Cubism.

Almost forgot this one. Behold Voxin, C36 Hobgoblin temptress & the only female hobgob I know of:

Attachments

• VOXIN (2).jpg
    VOXIN (2).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,492
Zhu Bajie":1nlwrlq1 said:
1118css1c.jpg

Haha, I have that one. Or rather, I gave it to a friend to use as a mini-me Chaos Warlord. It's an odd model, but with "modern" eyes one can grant it the benefit of having lots of quirky details and shapes (unlike some of its mates in the picture), which makes it sit decently alongside newer Chaos Warriors with all their clunky armour and horns.

dieselmonkey":l8l3reb6 said:

Agreed. Strange how Olley's minis divide collectors and Oldhammerers. I always thought his style was rubbish but (being a dwarf collector) I do have one of his pieces in my collection, the dwarven Booze Brothers which makes up for the inherent stylistic flaws with sheer character. If the look of a model doesn't inspire me to paint it I won't acquire it regardless of its rarity, as I mainly collect to paint. So even if I collect dwarfs and squats none of Olley's make into the collection.

I think it was Asslessman that (as far as I know) coined the phrase "Bob Olley Effect"-they look like s^%$ until you paint them...or is that after you paint them?

I'm a definite fan of Iron Claw Squats, as lousy as they look in the nude lead.

I also really love the running Genestealer Patriach.

Asslessman

vintagephreak":6zf0brge said:
dieselmonkey":6zf0brge said:

Agreed. Strange how Olley's minis divide collectors and Oldhammerers. I always thought his style was rubbish but (being a dwarf collector) I do have one of his pieces in my collection, the dwarven Booze Brothers which makes up for the inherent stylistic flaws with sheer character. If the look of a model doesn't inspire me to paint it I won't acquire it regardless of its rarity, as I mainly collect to paint. So even if I collect dwarfs and squats none of Olley's make into the collection.
I understand and I have been feeling the same as you for a long time. The thing is though : painting Olley's models makes you love them. I agree they tend not to match with orther ranges and that you often get weird textures you never know how to paint, put if you just try to paint them, it comes naturally plus most of his models have insane details.

I happened to strip one of his squats and I was stunned at how good it sactually is :

2013-11-17+20.56.00.jpg

Taste is a very personnal thing and I'm obviously not trying to change your mind, there are some of his models I just can't stand myself, it's just "never say never" :roll:

oh and thanks Bruno for quoting the "Bob Olley Effect"

My goodness, I remember the pic of what that Squat looked like before...good lord :shock:

Iron Claw Squats are perfect for champions/hearthguard, I'm thankful they are so different.

Back