Why Marauder?

The place to discuss everthing retro : OSR, Fantasy Figthing books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Re: Why Marauder?

lenihan wrote:
Zhu Bajie wrote:Tom Meier 1988?

Beautiful mini, would love one. But you seem to be missing my point - I know that scale mail exists earlier, I have earlier minis than that even. But the example you give is certainly not "as standard", rather he's an exceptionally beautiful individual, not a rank and filer wearing a "uniform".

Oh, right I get you now. I thought you meant "as standard" depiction of an elf warrior in miniatures, not "a uniform". BTW compare Toms design with the current GW High Elf Army book cover...

Lothen city guard, 1985 ?

Pauline Baynes, Smith of Wooton Major (Toikien) 1967 ?

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Oh that does it, I'm officially collecting Tom Meier elves, starting now! I didn't think this Marauder thread would be so dangerous...

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:18 am

I think much of what happened ( cause I felt some of this back in the early 90s ) is that due to citadel at that time, having many different sculptors working on ranges, and in some cases multiple sculptors working on ranges, around the time marauder was in full swing ( late 3rd ed ), marauder stood out as a cut above citadel, this mainly being that it was aly and trish own style, so you essentially had a "streamlined coherent look" to the marauder range, with at that point...many aging citadel sculpts from the mid 80s till then.

This I believe was an illusion more than anything, since being objective it's sorta unfair looking back to compare citadel vs marauder. To get technical marauder still exists, it's just that it was swallowed up back into warhammer itself, I still remember when 4e was out in WD they often left the marauder logo even though GW was no longer releasing marauder blister packs, the entire range was just warhammer on those pathetic sterile green or red boring blister art packs at that point. What I mean by marauder still existing is that, both aly and jes goodwin have "evolved" vs the 80s, this relating to actual technical skill and sculpting detail, but we can still today look at a jes goodwin or aly sculpt and most of the time know it is them.

If we look at like the khorne sculpts jes has done with the last warriors of chaos releases, it' still JG and screams his 80s style but hes improved vs then by having an even finer quality applied to those sculpts along with a massive scale increase vs the 80s, but they will work more or less along side his original realm of chaos champions, the major difference I would say there is some of his sculpting was a bit more organic...less precise in areas.

The same goes for aly's skeleton plastic warriors, they look like marauder skeletons just they are more modern in terms of dynamic pose and detail.

The empire is a bit different because aly really went to town on both the 3e dwarves and empire, all having the puffy look it's like he took the perry twins fetish over that and bumped it up to 11, but it works and looks great vs the more merc rag tag looks of the plastic empire troops. As far as 4e marauder I think the so called "Cartoony buy out" view is more based on the ADD child painting red period than anything, if you paint many of those 4e marauder releases up like 3e paint jobs they will still look oldschool, there was not a huge difference imo over that part just the terrible paint style and choices of that time.

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:31 pm

When it come to Marauder Minis I must say that they have like all other makes some good, some bad, and some well you know.
For me the Wolf Riders and Chaos Dwarfs are a must have as are most of the Orks and the humans. Others like their Dark Elves are a bit too chunky for my taste.

Donator

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Its good to see this thread percolating along still....and I'll just leave a couple of pictures here as my latest contribution to the question... ;)

...nuff said... 8-)

Cheers,

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:51 pm

those are beautiful minis.

The first minis I ever bought were from Marauder, Dark Elf Scouts, and a Chimera. As such I my feelings are "why not marauder?" - some of the later stuff definitely a bit pony and cartoonish, but some lovely minis before that. the dwarfs especially I like.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Yeppa these are the ones I like.....great paint job
Previous

Return to Retro Discussions