Retro video games?

I love retro video games. In fact they're the only video games I play.

My favourites are Prince of Persia (original), Golden Axe and the LucasArts Adventure Game collection -- The Secret of Monkey Island etc.

I don't really play computer games much these days, preferring board games and tabletop war games, but if I do venture back into computers it's nearly always a 90s-era classic.

grim1

atari vcs i loved combat, adventure, jungle-hunt, pitfall and enduro.
atari 800 i love star raiders, archon, kik-start, boulderdash, schreckenstein, international karate, ninja
and the first game pc game i ever really played was omega
for flight games, wing commander, evasive action and us navy fighters were my faves.
I remember gleefully drowning people in populous 2 for many hours.
laser squad, and ufo were great for turn base.
command and conquer made real-time for me, syndicate was so very quick/ point click at the time I preferred cannon fodder.

Widder

I'm a fan of retro video games but also buy new games.

I mainly collect videogames for consoles, not pc games but this month I started play to the Maldita Castilla game. It's a free indie game for Windows with appearance retro.

maldita_castilla_03.png

My first videogame system was a master system with Hang on and Safari hunt inside and it still works :).

I know it's not "that" retro, but has anyone ever played "Little Fighter"?

I played this & the second one of this game to death .

A local trendy bar held a retro games night a couple of weeks ago in a large function room upstairs. My mate and his missus dragged me along and despite my initial disdain at the deep v/ trendy beard crowd I had an absolute blast. Found myself sat next to a bloke from Redcar playing Gauntlet on a custom built desktop arcade machine with a tasty slice pizza on the side and an ice cold coke in the my hand. I looked around in delight confident in the knowledge that twelve year old me would be very happy with this aspect of adult life

You could just Dosbox for that if you want Curtis? That way you could use a newer version of Windows.

Or you could install both new & old operating systems, flicking between both as the need requires?

I use Dosbox on my laptop with Windows 7 to play Firepower & Spacewar with my son :grin:

Well, you can take your heretical new fangled versions of windows and play them as you like ;). Basically, AoEII is the greatest of all link-up strategy games, but if you try to link it between 2 versions of windows...it no likey! 7 can run it, xp can run it, you can even get the game you create to show on both machines,...but it wont let you join. So yeah, retrofitted the (2nd hand) laptop to run XP and jobs a good'un. My main machine is XP and will stay that way until it conks out and I have to replace it.

The laptop is 2.5ghz, 3gig ram, so just about good enough to run slightly less archaic games, like Dawn of War. I will install that later and see if the GPU can handle it ;) The XP drivers probably wont like it!

Dieselhorst

ramshackle_curtis":2e3djdvr said:
Basically, AoEII is the greatest of all link-up strategy games, but if you try to link it between 2 versions of windows...it no likey! 7 can run it, xp can run it, you can even get the game you create to show on both machines,...but it wont let you join.

I heartily agree that AoEII kicks several types of arse. You might be interested to know, however, that it got a re-release! http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/

There are a lot of great indie games these days with beautiful takes on old-school aesthetics. But I still have a big ole' softspot for SNES (especially Super Metroid).

Berkut666

For Xmas my good lady wife got me one of the "new" mega drives. 90 built in games, all the original sonics etc but the real bonus is that it plays cartridges. So cue post Xmas purchase of powermonger. With a glass of port and the fire on, I have rarely been more content. It hasn't aged well though

Sprinkles

I just got hold of one of those plug n' play doings off ebay. Streetfighter 2 and ghouls n' ghosts! Im 13 again!. Got a super proud dad moment when my son threw his first dragon punch!

Berkut666":y0wyrpz0 said:
For Xmas my good lady wife got me one of the "new" mega drives. 90 built in games, all the original sonics etc but the real bonus is that it plays cartridges. So cue post Xmas purchase of powermonger. With a glass of port and the fire on, I have rarely been more content. It hasn't aged well though

I've heard some people say that machine is not very reliable -- what's your experience?

Berkut666

Stormbringer":1rp2jjm8 said:
Berkut666":1rp2jjm8 said:

I've heard some people say that machine is not very reliable -- what's your experience?

Nah I have had no issues. The inbuilt games all work 100% fine. With cartridges you can occasionally get one that doesn't work well but it happens less than it did with the original Mega Drives! Standard practice - take the cartridge out, blow on the connectors and put it back in. Only slight down side is I don't think the wireless controllers are great but I sorted that by purchasing some that work via cable.

There are some consoles now that take multi formats like Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation etc all in one box of tricks

Widder":3luyg71t said:
I'm a fan of retro video games but also buy new games.

I mainly collect videogames for consoles, not pc games but this month I started play to the Maldita Castilla game. It's a free indie game for Windows with appearance retro.

maldita_castilla_03.png

My first videogame system was a master system with Hang on and Safari hunt inside and it still works :).

Hey, I just found this myself and I'm really enjoying it! Exactly my kind of thing. My sons are going to LOVE this. Thanks so much for making me aware of it.

Back